Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, but its very rare. Then again, I did get a redeemer and acid nades from crates, so its not all bad.
How good is acid really? Apparently it only strips 10 armor per turn?
No it strips as much armor as the acid value on that part of the body is. But it does not deal damage to health until armor is fully stripped. There is a big acid cannon to fight Scylla. If you use Rage Burst with it, it removes all armor on turn 1 and basically kills her on turn 2. And you can apply more before her turn 2 to make sure you kill her.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, but its very rare. Then again, I did get a redeemer and acid nades from crates, so its not all bad.
No it strips as much armor as the acid value on that part of the body is. But it does not deal damage to health until armor is fully stripped. There is a big acid cannon to fight Scylla. If you use Rage Burst with it, it removes all armor on turn 1 and basically kills her on turn 2. And you can apply more before her turn 2 to make sure you kill her.

That's good to know.
Sadly I think I might have to abandon my current run. It felt like I was in a death spiral. I only had 2 ships, I wasn't getting enough resources and my bases were getting attacked constantly. I felt like I made some really poor decisions with base placement too.
I think I'll start a new game on veteran, hero was a bit much it seems.
Should the world be mostly red and the doom clock at 54% by 25 03 2047?

I did complete a lair mission at least and kill another scylla. The lair mission had the best Spawnery location - right in front of the deployment zone :D.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

That's good to know.
Sadly I think I might have to abandon my current run. It felt like I was in a death spiral. I only had 2 ships, I wasn't getting enough resources and my bases were getting attacked constantly. I felt like I made some really poor decisions with base placement too.

I did complete a lair mission at least and kill another scylla. The lair mission had the best Spawnery location - right in front of the deployment zone :D.
Yes, by mid March mist covers most of the planet

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

That's good to know.

Oh, I guess I'm doing fine then. I'll keep going. Do scavenging missions respawn? I'm running out of scavenging areas.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That's good to know.

Oh, I guess I'm doing fine then. I'll keep going. Do scavenging missions respawn? I'm running out of scavenging areas.
At one point Overgrown scavenge missions appear that are harder but give more stuff but that is it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2022/4/19/azathoth-update-mod-support-this-summer
NEW AZATHOTH PATCH AND ANNOUNCING TRUE MOD SUPPORT COMING THIS SUMMER
Thanks to all of our fans for your continued support of Phoenix Point!

Having more than 800,000 people play our game is something we never dreamed of when we first came up with the idea for Phoenix Point, and we are deeply grateful to all that have taken the time to suggest improvements, tell their friends, and play the game on so many platforms over these last few years. We’ve done our best to include as many of your suggestions as we can; you have made this game so much better than it ever would have been without you.

While Kaos Engines is the last of our downloadable content drops, we will continue to work on some final patches to improve Phoenix Point, including today’s Azathoth v1.14.3 update for PC. As of today, we’re closing our dedicated feedback portal (Canny) but rest assured that we have captured and backed up all the feedback shared to date, which will be used for guidance on future patches. And don’t worry: if you’d still like to give feedback, you can use our forums or talk with us on Discord. We may not be able to act on it, but we’ll see it.

We’re also excited to announce that true Mod support on PC, including official Steam Workshop integration, is coming to Phoenix Point this summer.

We will share more details about how mods will work in the future, but we wanted to congratulate the modding community for the work they’ve already done and look forward to seeing what other mod creators will do when the official support is released. And while mods themselves are not officially endorsed by us, we did want to call out the new release of the "Better Classes" mod, part of the unofficial “Phoenix Rising” mod project, which includes reworked skills and other changes for all seven classes and an entirely different third row of skills! If you’re interested, you can download that here: https://bit.ly/BetterClassesMod.

Lastly, if you’ve been waiting to take the plunge or know a friend who has been, Phoenix Point will be 50% off, along with a 25% discount for the Expansion Pass during our Steam Daily Deal this Wednesday, April 20th (that’s tomorrow!)..

No matter who you are, a huge thank you again for your support and interest— and keep on fighting the good fight!

Patch notes are as follows:
AZATHOTH BUGFIX- V1.14.3
Important

We have resolved a critical issue with corrupted save files where entering or completing a tactical mission would result in lost Geoscape progress. When starting a tactical mission, if you receive the following error message about a failed save game:

“An error has occurred while overwriting the save file! Please make sure you have enough free memory on your device.”

These are the steps to resolve it:

1. Make a manual save on Geoscape

2. Exit the game

3. Delete autosave file in Phoenix Point local saves folder.

4. Restart the game

5. If there is a conflict with cloud saves, download the cloud save.
Bug fixes

• Fixed a rare issue where the UI of the game gets stuck if the Gift Manticore team gets ambushed. (DLC3)

• Fixed a rare issue where the game gets stuck when a dazed fireworm explodes on the final DLC3 mission.

• Fixed a rare issue where the game gets stuck due to a problem with enemy deployment on the first mission of DLC4.

• Fixed an issue where the game gets stuck when a unit performing the hack ability is mind-controlled.

• Fixed an issue with the Fog of War on some DLC2 missions.

• Fixed an issue with controller input when selecting Phoenix Bases list on Geoscape.

• Fixed an issue where the game gets stuck when selecting a Phoenix Base as deployment location for vehicle or aircraft on Geoscape.

• Fixed an issue where Haven defenders steal XP points at the end of a mission.

• Fixed an issue where the Berserker Bloodlust ability is not activated when starting a mission while he is injured.

• Fixed an issue where Virophage Injection objective was not interrupted by Mind Control.

• Fixed an issue where some DLC3 enemies did not appear as Cause of Death in the Memorial.

• Fixed an issue where the end game screen didn’t include DLC statistics.

• Fixed several UI text and localization issues.
Note: the Azathoth update is not yet available for Microsoft Store on PC, PlayStation, Stadia, or Xbox. We will announce more when we have that timing.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Any hints on capturing a Scylla? I can kill them without too much trouble now, but capturing them is another matter.
If I try lowering its max health it bleeds out faster than I can apply stun, and if I take too long more enemies come out of nowhere.

Maybe I was unlucky; I tried capturing the screamer type scylla and it kept dazing my units.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I tried that, but you still need to deal about 400+ stun damage. Do I have to make an entire crew of snipers and spam quick aim or something?

I did have a plan to use a biochemist heavy I found to rage burst her and apply massive stacks of viral, but he didn't have rage burst yet.

I'm really liking the grungir so far. At first I had misgivings because it only has an effective range of 45, the predicted damage thing doesn't take into account virophage and it failed to one shot an arthron with 120 health, but then I shot a siren in the face with it and it instantly crippled her, so that's nice. I should have gotten it way sooner.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Make a bunch of stun pistols and give them to everyone and do mass stunning.
Also try to do Haven Defense mission with Scylla and capture it there. No reinforcement on that mission

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah I captured her the other day. I just gave my assaults some virus rifles after finding out that weapon proficiency just means that effective range is cut in half, which doesn't really matter if you're dealing with a large target.
Then I just plinked at her with heras and athenas.

Parabalus

Arcane
PHOENIX RISING MOD said:
Do NOT use any language besides ENGLISH, otherwise text will be broken. Sadly, adjusting localisation is a lot of work due to
how the game is coded.

What does broken text mean, just English mixed up with the chosen language, or completely broken strings, unplayable etc?

Arthandas

Prophet
Does PP have a "pod system" like nuXCOM, where you can trigger a new group of enemies just by moving one square too far? I fucking despise it.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Does PP have a "pod system" like nuXCOM, where you can trigger a new group of enemies just by moving one square too far? I fucking despise it.
It does not. It actually uses a better system where enemies have a certain perception range where they don't detect you unless you are in that range or they get fired upon.
So you can get the jump on enemies instead of them getting startled and running into cover on your turn.

Keep in mind that the same applies for you as well; you won't be able to see some enemies until they attack you, either because they are too far away to be seen or because they have stealth, which reduces the number of squares required to see them.

Last edited:

Azdul

Magister
If you install Long War for nuXCOM 1 together with LW Rebalance - the problem is largely gone. New groups come into the battle when they see or hear their their 'allies' engaging in combat, or running away through their zones, etc.

In most cases cheesy strategies of taking spawns one by one - or advancing very slowly - no longer work. On some terror missions there is domino effect of activations - and you're fighting all aliens since the very beginning. On normal missions one alien running away across the map has the same effect. It usually happens outside visual range - so it feels less 'gamey'.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you install Long War for nuXCOM 1 together with LW Rebalance - the problem is largely gone. New groups come into the battle when they see or hear their their 'allies' engaging in combat, or running away through their zones, etc.

In most cases cheesy strategies of taking spawns one by one - or advancing very slowly - no longer work. On some terror missions there is domino effect of activations - and you're fighting all aliens since the very beginning. On normal missions one alien running away across the map has the same effect. It usually happens outside visual range - so it feels less 'gamey'.
No, it is actually worse because now you activate multiple groups at the same time in many of the small maps that they still use. Gameplay is often pure cancer.
LWR does not fix pod system, it just makes it less easy to abuse. For average players that means it makes it worse.

Azdul

Magister

No, it is actually worse because now you activate multiple groups at the same time in many of the small maps that they still use. Gameplay is often pure cancer.
LWR does not fix pod system, it just makes it less easy to abuse. For average players that means it makes it worse.
If there are too many aliens in small area - there is not enough cover for all of them - and they are forced to stand close to one another - or get out in the open. Still - not every single battle can be won - because it is not an RPG.

It may be frustrating for people who got used to story-driven, balanced approach. Sometimes you're not doing anything wrong - just circumstances are stacked against you - and you need to get back to the choppa to fight another day.

Ucross updated LW Rebalance every week for last 6 years - but stays wonderfully unbalanced.

ArchAngel

Arcane

If there are too many aliens in small area - there is not enough cover for all of them - and they are forced to stand close to one another - or get out in the open. Still - not every single battle can be won - because it is not an RPG.

It may be frustrating for people who got used to story-driven, balanced approach. Sometimes you're not doing anything wrong - just circumstances are stacked against you - and you need to get back to the choppa to fight another day.

Ucross updated LW Rebalance every week for last 6 years - but stays wonderfully unbalanced.
It is a mod for people that liked LW and think it was too easy. I spent 2 months playing LWR until I finally gave up. I consider neither Xcom 1 a good game or LW a specially good mod. LWR only improved upon LW a bit, but just like LW did little to make the base game better.

I enjoyed LW2 a lot more. Xcom 2 is for me a better engine and better base game for modding even if it does not have UFO crash missions.

Unfortunatelly none of them have base potential like Phoenix Point. It is a shame that Phoenix Point also failed in so many ways.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It is a mod for people that liked LW and think it was too easy. I spent 2 months playing LWR until I finally gave up. I consider neither Xcom 1 a good game or LW a specially good mod. LWR only improved upon LW a bit, but just like LW did little to make the base game better.

I enjoyed LW2 a lot more. Xcom 2 is for me a better engine and better base game for modding even if it does not have UFO crash missions.

Unfortunatelly none of them have base potential like Phoenix Point. It is a shame that Phoenix Point also failed in so many ways.
Sorry to derail the thread further, but is LW2oC any good now? I didn"t like all the WoTC content, but I don't see myself playing without the generic improvements they never backported to the OG.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Sorry to derail the thread further, but is LW2oC any good now? I didn"t like all the WoTC content, but I don't see myself playing without the generic improvements they never backported to the OG.
I have not tried it yet. But since I didn't like most of the things Xcom2 expansion brought I didn't care much to play it. I would just turn off Zombies and alien Heroes if I did. Best part of Xcom 2 expansion was all the engine improvements where game had good FPS and faster loading of missions.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

What about mods? Are there no mods in development for Phoenix Point identical to longwar in future?
Yes, not Long War because base PP is already 100 missions to finish but a bigger overhaul is already being made. First part of it is already out: https://www.nexusmods.com/phoenixpoint/mods/124

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom