Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Parabalus

Arcane
living weapons is the one which makes the final boss a piece of cake: it gave me two machineguns, one spits acid, eating armor like the aforementioned cake, the other is viral, nullifying actions available. in short i waited behind a corner, megaboss jumped in, first one made an opening, second one paralized the boss forever.
By boss you might be thinking about Scylla which is not a boss but just a big enemy. And you can use other non DLC viral weapons to do the same to Scylla. In Phoenix Rising mod, Scylla is buffed and it is not longer easy to get viral stack so high they no longer do anything until end of combat.

When is that mod getting released?

Have to admit I found Better Classes more boring than the vanilla ones though.

ArchAngel

Arcane
living weapons is the one which makes the final boss a piece of cake: it gave me two machineguns, one spits acid, eating armor like the aforementioned cake, the other is viral, nullifying actions available. in short i waited behind a corner, megaboss jumped in, first one made an opening, second one paralized the boss forever.
By boss you might be thinking about Scylla which is not a boss but just a big enemy. And you can use other non DLC viral weapons to do the same to Scylla. In Phoenix Rising mod, Scylla is buffed and it is not longer easy to get viral stack so high they no longer do anything until end of combat.

Changes to enemies can be grabbed here: https://github.com/dt22/Better-Enemies/releases
Latest version is: https://github.com/dt22/Better-Enemies/releases/tag/v0.4.5.0-alpha

Parabalus

Arcane

Changes to enemies can be grabbed here: https://github.com/dt22/Better-Enemies/releases
Latest version is: https://github.com/dt22/Better-Enemies/releases/tag/v0.4.5.0-alpha

Interesting, but seems mostly straight numerical upgrades, better classes had more new mechanics?

Also, why no changes to DLC enemies?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Interesting, but seems mostly straight numerical upgrades, better classes had more new mechanics?

Also, why no changes to DLC enemies?
There are a lot of changes, new abilities and stuff for enemies. For example Mind Fraggers explode in acid when killed so you cannot just shoot them easily off someone face without consequence. And some enemies are very different with new abilities they gained.
It also has a bunch of AI improvements for pandorans and humans (for example humans are less crazy about healing even slight wounds including not running into fire to heal their burning ally and then killing themselves in the process)
As for DLC enemies, it is not done yet. I think DLC enemies didn't get their turn yet and some are considered already challenging enough (like Acherons).
Also some stuff was cut as it didn't work when it moved from design to changing the code. You can only do so much with mods.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Biggest changes are coming in Better Geo mod (that is working name, release name is TBD), this one is pretty big and adds new mechanics and lots of cool stuff.

geno

Savant
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/839770/view/5708892583058284434
'Hastur' Update Introduces Steam Workshop Support on July 21st
It’s the final countdown, people: We’re headed towards our last update for Phoenix Point, “Hastur,” with our most requested community feature: Steam Workshop mod support.

With this final update, we’ll be opening up Steam Workshop for the community to share their creations and make it easy for any player to enable and subscribe to player-made mods. As an added feature that’s part of our mod integration, each mod can be tweaked by players to finely tune the right balance for their intended game.

ff1b51915d111899269cbf7f96dd4d012861b53f.png

To get things started on the right foot, we’re releasing an example mod alongside the Workshop launch that we’re currently calling “Custom Campaign.” This mod will demonstrate what creators can do with modding, while also allowing a greater degree of customization when it comes to kicking off your campaigns such as:
  • Tactical Difficulty: Players can now make the tactical game easier or harder, separate from the global Geoscape difficulty.
  • Mission Threat Level: Missions that leverage threat levels can be made more or less difficult
  • Human Population Census (HPC) AKA the Doomsday Clock: If the timer makes you nervous, you can set up the game so that the population drops slower or turn it off altogether, giving you more time to ready your assaults. Or, for an added challenge, you can speed it up!
  • Manufacture Speed: This allows the ability to produce items faster, slower, or instantly.
  • No Ammo: Choose to remove ammunition clips, effectively allowing all weapons to infinitely reload, which we expect may change the game pretty dramatically.
Our programming team has worked very hard to make modding work because we are excited to see what the community brings to the table for Phoenix Point - and for everybody to experience the existing mods that can now be brought over to Steam.

On a separate note: next Thursday, July 21st, we will combine all Phoenix Point content into one Complete Edition bundle on PC. If you already own Year One Edition and the Expansion Pass, don’t despair; you’re not missing out on any additional content, but for those looking to jump in for the first time or upgrade, this will be the definitive way to get all Phoenix Point content with a single purchase.

Finally, we have a few small surprises we’re saving til next Thursday’s release of Complete Edition and the free Hastur update, so still a bit more to come!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Proper mod support might legit be great for this, as modders are sometimes pretty good with fixing stupid bugs, bad balance and strapping stuff together into a cohesive whole.

Or maybe it will be a bunch of garbage. Either way, I don't expect we'll know for at least a few months. I do think this game could be legit good with some autism tier modding polish.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Proper mod support might legit be great for this, as modders are sometimes pretty good with fixing stupid bugs, bad balance and strapping stuff together into a cohesive whole.

Or maybe it will be a bunch of garbage. Either way, I don't expect we'll know for at least a few months. I do think this game could be legit good with some autism tier modding polish.
Phoenix Rising team will try to port their mod in making into this once they get details on how these modding tools work.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Unfortunately, the scene is dead for this game. I played once through it with all DLCs. It has a lot of neat ideas (giving it better tactical depth than nu Xcom imo) but also frustrating filler, and missing crucial things that I think would have benefited the game greatly (Your operatives should not have been nameless grunts without personality. They should have been hard to acquire because it is a post apocalyptic setting, and should have unique personalities and customization options should have been greatly expanded).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Unfortunately, the scene is dead for this game
How can the scene be alive when the tools have not released properly yet?
Wow. The story and factions in this game are fucking awful.
I don't think it's that bad. I kinda like the basic idea of humanity slowly losing to the pandora virus although some of the plot twists later on are very stupid as I recall. The factions are a bit generic (wow fascist corporate who like heavy armor and heavy guns, and generic sleek sci fi scientists), but they're not bad, just not interesting. And I think they do a good job of having different strengths and weaknesses in their tech which is what is really important.

hello friend

Arcane
I get what they're going for with the themes with the "hey what is a human, really?" amidst the mutating alien invasion, but it's just hard to swallow a post apocalyptic alien invasion survival situation and everyone's a part of some semi-religious cultlike "WE BELIEVE IN THE ORIGINAL BLUEPRINT" "CYBORGISM IS THE WAY FORWARD FOR HUMANITY" shit. It's too neat, too symmetrical. I'd vastly prefer having subtly different holdouts of humanity just trying to survive. Perhaps if they were to spawn factions and randomise traits procedurally at gamegen - it would take more work, sure. Alternatively they could lean into the cheese and go with Mutants, Humans, and Cyborgs, and have more of a cool, schlocky vibe. Instead everything is buried under a dull veneer of seriousness, we have these dumb factions but it's all done with that painfully tepid valium voice over diversity hire soldier woman feeling deeply about the horrors of war and this is all very serious.

Oh man these dialogs are killing me.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I get what they're going for with the themes with the "hey what is a human, really?" amidst the mutating alien invasion, but it's just hard to swallow a post apocalyptic alien invasion survival situation and everyone's a part of some semi-religious cultlike "WE BELIEVE IN THE ORIGINAL BLUEPRINT" "CYBORGISM IS THE WAY FORWARD FOR HUMANITY" shit. It's too neat, too symmetrical.
I mean, this is like, the third apocalypse, the 3 factions are all that remains of society after the previous 2 collapsed all govs. The only thing that really bothers me is that they are completely different with 0 overlap in tech, and evenly spread over the globe, but that's arguably good for gameplay so...

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I mean, the factions are literally of no consequence, you can quite easily minmax all their reputations to get all exclusive goodies. They only effect what slide you want.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
It seems that the workshop release automatically gave me all the dlcs. Not sure if bug, or intentional. Or because of some backer thing? But I didn't have Kaos/Festering/etc before today...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Phoenix Point: Complete Edition, the acclaimed strategy game from the creator of X-COM, is now assembled into the ultimate collection, including all DLCs, content updates, and product improvements over four years of development. Now including Steam Workshop mod support!

Buy Now: https://store.phoenixpoint.info/

Complete Edition Features:

Tons of Content: The Complete Edition of Phoenix Point includes all previously released content: 6 DLC Packs (Blood & Titanium DLC, Legacy of the Ancients DLC, Festering Skies DLC, Corrupted Horizons DLC, Kaos Engines DLC, and the Living Weapons Pack), and a slew of updates, upgrades, fixes, and new content suggested by our community.

Steam Workshop support for subscribing and enabling mods to tweak and customize your game from the modding community, alongside our official mod to set up new unique campaigns.

lightbane

Arcane
It took them 6 years, but the Game of the Year Complete Edition (TM) is finally out! Also, a demo as well, which should have been a priority, but nope.

ArchAngel

Arcane
In one of these recent advertisement blurbs they said that game had over 1 mil players. They probably count all the game pass people into this number as well.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Here we go. First info for next Phoenix Rising major mod called Terror from the Void:

SPOILER_Spoiler_Goals.png
SPOILER_Guided_By_Whispers.png
SPOILER_Spoiler_Umbra_text_2.png

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am waiting for them to migrate it to Steam Workshop and then I (and some others) will test it, after that it will be ready to be released. Should be some time during August.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom