Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
he could create a great game tailored to what his fans enjoy with less financial risk
Its fans served only to initially fund at zero-risks (for him) his project and nothing more. The survey showed clearly that there was no interest (and how could it be otherwise?) in consoles and controllers gui and guess what? You already know the answer. And, on top of this, add the Epic sheaningan and draw the inevitable conclusions.

Mazisky

Magister
Sorry guys, but you are really naive.

1- Gollop makes the real Ufo remake, very deep game with lots of micromanagement, high difficulty and a tough learning curve > total of 100 copies sold, half of them to rpgcodex users, commercial failure, the dev team go bankrupt and close.

2- Gollop makes Phoenix point, similar to the critically acclaimed Xcom 2, console-friendly and with a banal action trailer > thousands of copies sold, he can keep making games and money.

Why he should take the 1st route? It's not like he live and eat with rpgcodex opinions.

1- Gollop makes the real Ufo remake, very deep game with lots of micromanagement, high difficulty and a tough learning curve > total of 100 copies sold, half of them to rpgcodex users, commercial failure, the dev team go bankrupt and close.

2- Gollop makes Phoenix point, similar to the critically acclaimed Xcom 2, console-friendly and with a banal action trailer > thousands of copies sold, he can keep making games and money.

Why he should take the 1st route? It's not like he live and eat with rpgcodex opinions.

Fine. Maybe the game as it exists now makes more money. ( I am trying very hard to keep a straight face whilst I type that.)
But it's not the game backers like me were promised. No matter what else is right or wrong about the game, backers were lied to and then told by Gollop himself that our money isn't wanted anymore. Gollop and co are entitled to make whatever games they wish. But don't ask for money to do one thing and then do another. Because that's coming dangerously close to what a scam looks like.

iDUxYcw.png

They just gave up on base building. This looks pathetic. JPEGS to represent base rooms. It's a downgrade from OG X-Com and somehow looks more casualised than Friaxis XCom games.

Mazisky

Magister

Fine. Maybe the game as it exists now makes more money. ( I am trying very hard to keep a straight face whilst I type that.)
But it's not the game backers like me were promised. No matter what else is right or wrong about the game, backers were lied to and then told by Gollop himself that our money isn't wanted anymore. Gollop and co are entitled to make whatever games they wish. But don't ask for money to do one thing and then do another. Because that's coming dangerously close to what a scam looks like.

True. My idea is that he wanted to do classic style first but he faced the market rules during development, and embraced them.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
he wanted to do classic style first but he faced the market rules during development, and embraced them
Sure, because Gollop at the time of the Fig crowdfunding was a green developer with no prior experience about market dynamics or turn-based games.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Oh look, a epic exclusive also financed by Microsoft looking like a cheap cash grab.
Reminds me of another mediocre boring rpg that was released recently,i wonder if there is a connection?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I essentially stopped following this completely and tried to get my money back but the process was complicated and didn't work and so I gave up on this shit.

Now I have an Epic key I don't want. Do I still get a steam key one year down the line? Or do I actually need to activate the epic key in order to get the game on steam? Could I just sell it or give it away to someone and still get the steam key?

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron

Mazisky

Magister
Btw, i am a bit surprised that all those X-Com clones like Phoenix Point, Xenonauts, Shock tactics, etc. are all going SCI-FI and in result they look very similar to each other. I wish someone will make a fantasy Xcom.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wasn't this touted as being the "real" xcom game from the orginal devs? But now they sold out and the game is unfinished and shit?

It looks just like nu-xcom from the videoes, too.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder why they simply didn't created normal shooting against various factions, map domination, and possibly some plot. Shooting at random monsters isn't that interesting.

JDR13

Arcane
Now I have an Epic key I don't want. Do I still get a steam key one year down the line? Or do I actually need to activate the epic key in order to get the game on steam? Could I just sell it or give it away to someone and still get the steam key?

If you really don't want it... :)

*Raises hand*

Edija

Arcane
Patron
I haven't been closely following, what are people so mad about these days? Am I correct in saying that 90% of this shitstorm started once they went exclusively Epic for the first year? What gameplay decisions are people raging about? The only thing I remember which kinda put me off the game is that monster/alien design became increasingly boring. I'll pirate it though since mr. Epic paid for my copy anyway.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
It all stems from the figstarter promises that were changed later. Game was presented as PC only but soon came controller and console support, etc. Epic deal was just like throwing a grenade into a brimming outhouse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom