Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not illogical for me that guards don't tolerate battles on town streets in patrolled areas.

Of course, their behavior leaves a lot to desire - they should try to arrest the rabble makers and eventually join the frey if you don't comply - but then probably attack both sides.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, that's not bad at level 10.
5wTiYlg.jpg

Can do golems too
WbcXbaQ.jpg

Blood mage really rocks!

Although Assasinate with spells is fiddly... and I really miss retargeting from real time with pause.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's obviously not intentional and I do believe it was acknowledged as a bug when I first looked it up on obsidian forums. I tried the imp fight like a dozen times before ragequitting and I assume it would be a problem in many other quests, too. I'm too ocd for this shit unfortunately.
aggro him down the steps area and have him follow, it won't aggro the guards
yes, it's a turn-based bug because the same issue doesn't happen when playing with rtwp combat

Crichton

Prophet
It's clearly a bug; never encountered it in my RTWP playthrough but hit it twice in TB. However, as others have said, it's totally avoidable with some situational awareness in terms of guard positioning and timing. A small price to pay, in my opinion.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So, is it always avoidable? There are multiple combat quests in tikitaka alone, from my first unfinished playthrough I remember at least one bounty in the middle of temple district with neutrals standing literally right next to the target.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
See screenshot above. I didn't make any attempts to move the combat/kite. There was no reaction from the temple district.

Regarding the im, like I wrote, I recommend moving to their pier before triggering combat. Not sure if foolproof, but worked for me.

Codex Year of the Donut
So, is it always avoidable? There are multiple combat quests in tikitaka alone, from my first unfinished playthrough I remember at least one bounty in the middle of temple district with neutrals standing literally right next to the target.
I think it only happens in that district, or at least it only happened there for me.
Also happened with those monsters that spawn in the southwest area of that map.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, spamming Stop Signs or Shit emojis is a prefect example of the exhausted nihilism to which I referred. If nihilism hadn't overtaken you you'd just use the ignore function, if you weren't exhausted you could come up with a compelling refutation. Likewise with devs who struggle to tune out input that detracts from their vision or to articulate their own powerfully enough to win over internal and external skeptics, ending up with a mediocre mishmash of a game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, spamming Stop Signs or Shit emojis is a prefect example of the exhausted nihilism to which I referred. If nihilism hadn't overtaken you you'd just use the ignore function, if you weren't exhausted you could come up with a compelling refutation. Likewise with devs who struggle to tune out input that detracts from their vision or to articulate their own powerfully enough to win over internal and external skeptics, ending up with a mediocre mishmash of a game.
Very insightful addition to this thread.

Desiderius

Patron
Very insightful addition to this thread.

I don't know what to call Eder's companion quest*, but it's hard to want to keep playing after that. Couldn't have been more excited for all the subclasses and whatnot, but in the end the story(s) wore me down.

* - if you want to make your Waiting for Godot game there's a time and a place for that, the play itself is widely esteemed and Beckett an abiding consolation for millions, but that place is probably not with your most beloved character in the middle of a pirate adventure.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Out of the respect for Sawyer, let's not talk about Deadfire anymore.

The plan was to run him out of fucks to give by denying him validation for half-assed shit so that he'd finally just make the game he's always wanted to make which would end up great and we'd all be happy.

Many such cases. Like Clubber Lang calling out Rocky.

But Hap is the man and Hap says Deadfire is a good game, so I'll honor your request.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

So is this worth playing in quarantine? I liked PoE (and while I did, I don't even remember anything about it, like not even the plot, so I guess it wasn't all that good but I think I did finish it).

I'm about done with my 10th or so D:OS2 playthrough and it seems like I'll need another thing to occupy my mind after.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I'm about done with my 10th or so D:OS2 playthrough and it seems like I'll need another thing to occupy my mind after.

Impressive, uh, credentials.
So after 10 playtroughs of DOS2, Deadfire should feel like a wet dream come true.

It's not perfect by any account (weak main quest, poor companions, some bullet spongy enemies), but it does have very fun character building, class leading itemization with weapons potentially having a strong impact on play style, pretty big map with rewarding exploration, good quest structure with multiple resolution paths, awesome graphics...

SoupNazi

Impressive, uh, credentials.
So after 10 playtroughs of DOS2, Deadfire should feel like a wet dream come true.

It's not perfect by any account (weak main quest, poor companions, some bullet spongy enemies), but it does have very fun character building, class leading itemization with weapons potentially having a strong impact on play style, pretty big map with rewarding exploration, good quest structure with multiple resolution paths, awesome graphics...
I was joking. It used to be a running gag here when Skyway (I think) used to hate one of the KOTOR games and backed up his claim that it's a shit game by assuring us he had finished it 7 or 9 times (I don't recall which).

I only finished D:OS2 three times, working on fourth :love:

Anyway, thanks. I've skimmed a few threads here and I couldn't understand if I'm supposed to hate it or love it. Mediocre sounds OK.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
One of the biggest weaknesses is adressed by the Turn based mode: in real time, its very chaotic and difficult to read. Enemies spam tons of abilities, effects (both buffs and debuffs/cc) have durations in seconds so combat is difficult to follow/supervise. Well in Turn Based this disadvantage is gone entirely...

Last edited:

Silly Germans

How long do fights take in turn based in comparison to rtwp ? Does turn based ramp up the damage or do you
have a lot of action points per turn ?

Desiderius

Patron
How long do fights take in turn based in comparison to rtwp ? Does turn based ramp up the damage or do you

It's very slow at first but gets gradually better, but I found it even more faceroll than RTwP.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Well, considerably longer. You notice that some enemies are really bullet spongy. Its also noticeable in real time... but turn-based emphasizes that when sometimes you need several rounds to kill a single enemy. Well, the same goes for your tanks, I guess. And on the upside enemy squishies usually are really squishy and bend over from collateral aoe or focus fire real fast. The bullet sponges usually do not pose a huge threat (same as your own Single Class Fighters or Paladins I guess - should you have such SC characters for whatever reason).

In general Desiderius is right, Turn Based is considerably easier (except for aoe aiming, aaargh!). However you should still be somewhat careful, as, depending on initiative, the enemies may get multiple consecutive turns when you're unable to react and if are not kept in check, they can do some damage with you unable to react between their actions with healing/position swap/CC.

You do not have a lot of actions per round. You get movement, which is very generous, particularly with buffed stride and/or mobility abilities (which are often "free") and single attack action (2 attacks if dual wielding or using a bashing shield, but at -35% damage) or cast (few spells are Standard actions cast immediately - mostly some Cipher ones, I think; most resolve after a large part of the round has lapsed).
Unless you're a mage, as nearly all of his self-buffs are free actions! (except Llengrath's Safeguard contingency, sadly) So he can be fully buffed in a blink of the eye and proceed to nuking or whatever he plans to do.
Better yet if you're a Blood Mage, as his Blood Sacrifice is a free action also, so he can be fully buffed & with all spells recovered at combat start!

Last edited:

Silly Germans

How are spell duration's handled ? The fine grained scaling with intelligence
seems ill-suited for turn-based combat.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
They are mostly divided by 6 seconds and rounded down.
Some spells have fixed durations (rays, walls and probably some others). With good Intelligence its possible to achieve very long durations on many spells.
The combat is slower, but you still tend to achieve more every round then you did every 6 seconds - unless you're a micro freak/god. Although I guess some martials managed much more then a single/dual attack in 6 seconds....
So I guess spells and slow weapons became better.

Last edited:
Does the story work if you never finished the previous game?

Gave up on POE1 by the time you got the keep and started dungeon diving. From the POE2 intro the writing seems to have toned down the dork factor a bit and they've clearly improved the presentation (best looking obsidian game to date, gorgeous).

I'm sick of replaying games I enjoyed decades ago so now I'm left with the recent backlog of Numenera, POE2, D:OS2, Undertale and Disco Elysium.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom