Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

TedNugent

Arcane
debuff thy enemies with wizard spells and weapon modals. that is the answer to armor.
Wizards are lame though

And Aloth is a faggot
do you even expose vulnerabilities bro
Too low of a level right now, but yes, all two expose vulnerabilities get cast unless I want to throw a fiery pillow at the horde of zombies.

The thing about casting debuffs on armor is that it strikes me as kind of dumb. Once they wear off, you're still at the same point, and you either build for the breakpoint with the debuff or without it.

Another reason I like penetration modals...

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm curious: does anyone actually think recovery time was a good mechanic?
I think I lean more on the "I've had to explain how it works to various people because it's not obvious and therefore I dislike it" side.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
nah, it's very emblematic of the shortcomings of the system; trying to solve a minor problem with a very involved solution that ends up being not worth it

Codex Year of the Donut
nah, it's very emblematic of the shortcomings of the system; trying to solve a minor problem with a very involved solution that ends up being not worth it
I'm not even sure if I agree the mechanic -- or, perhaps the idea behind the mechanic -- is in itself is bad, it actually makes sense. I think it would have been OK if it was conveyed better to the player in both graphical form(e.g., a different icon near a character currently recovering) and in the combat log.
mystery.png

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think I lean more on the "I've had to explain how it works to various people because it's not obvious and therefore I dislike it" side.

Yes, I prefer a system where each attack/action has its duration and animation, rather then arbitrarily divided into time segments with abstract "attacks".
That said, I wouldn't mind a little more normalisation, particularly for Spells.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've always said I prefer the gambling rush of waiting for the next swing in the IE combat to this "but it's .37 seconds faster if you wear this armor!!!". I just wanted an IE game with prettier graphics. What we got... it takes getting used to and only superficially seems like an IE game, but it has its fun sides.

Another thing I'd like to change, and actually may try out is slowing down everyone's movement speed in combat. They move way faster than in the IE games, and this makes pausing less helpful.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyway, I came to tell you that from the way Konstanen says "Shieeet" I get that he is meant to be a regular brotha.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The thing about casting debuffs on armor is that it strikes me as kind of dumb. Once they wear off, you're still at the same point, and you either build for the breakpoint with the debuff or without it.
The clusterfuck of recovery timers is one reason I like TB mode better. There are also reasons not to like it of course, but I've found that having a solution to the clusterfuck makes the game much more enjoyable to me. I'm observing IWD playthroughs (Fluent's LP) and I'm trying to point out what in the mechanics there leads to a cleaner gameplay. I have some ideas I could test.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
On a different note, how would you guys rate the DLCs in the story department? Think I've only played BoW (which I did like), but dunno if I'd have the patience to replay the game for the other two (especially since the second one is presumably less story-focused).

Starwars

Arcane
I think Beast of Winter is probably the best one in terms of story as it gives story to what is an interesting event in the PoE universe. The final DLC was alright from what I remember of it (take that as you will). Seeker Slayer Survivor had some alright stuff at the end but as you say, it's mostly just combat.

I found the PoE2 DLCs pretty disappointing overall, especially after the White March for the first game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Forgotten Sanctum was quite good IMO. Maybe not on the same level story-wise as BoW, but on the other hand, the exploration and combat was better IMO.

SSS is mostly overcoming well designed combat encounters, arena style (it does have pretty much the best combat challenges - and some really interesting items too).

AwesomeButton

Patron
I have never completed Seeker, Slayer, Sawyer. The other two I'd rate very good.

BTW, help, an Obsidian snowflake thinks this I'm a racist for making a joke about someone's complexion:

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
BoW felt like they had a bet to see if they can get away with repeating top 10 problems with PoE writing. Poor pacing, lack of motivation or agency for the progatonist to continue the story and as always way too much wolololo god stuff that no one gives a fuck about.

SSS - meet interesting people and kill them, 10/10

FS - 1111 all the dialogue and enjoy a fun dungeon

AwesomeButton

Patron
I have never completed Seeker, Slayer, Sawyer. The other two I'd rate very good.

BTW, help, an Obsidian snowflake thinks this I'm a racist for making a joke about someone's complexion:

your fault for taking the gay furry with you
It gets worse. I'm RPing an Island Aumaua ex-raider, returning to his home archipelago as an overt anti-colonialist and Kahanga loyalist, who will regardless fall in a doomed love affair with Maia.

The furry I just need to aid me in Delver's Row, where we are going to buy Roparu favor for cheap, with rice deliveries from the Principi smugglers. Our public politics may differ somewhat from our real agenda.

AwesomeButton

Patron
BoW felt like they had a bet to see if they can get away with repeating top 10 problems with PoE writing. Poor pacing, lack of motivation or agency for the progatonist to continue the story and as always way too much wolololo god stuff that no one gives a fuck about
It has great C&C and atmosphere. Also Rymrgand is the best of all the gods, to the extent where I'm not sure if the rest are not written as puffed up morons on purpose.

AwesomeButton

Patron
In what way is Rymrgand the best? The most interesting one is Skaen hands down.
He is the only one who actually acts like a god. The others are all "watcher this", "watcher that", "you are so special", and my favorite "this will be easy for someone with your particular gift/talent/ability".

BTW, Rusty, I'm playing with a high sneak and sleight of hand character, and I'm surprised how many quests can be solved with just sneaking and pickpocketing the respective quest items. It's a shame more skills aren't utilized this way.

Last edited:

plem

Learned

I hate those descriptions of companions' approval/disapproval, it makes them seem like complete idiots just overreacting to every little thing with exaggerated expressions while I'm trying to have a conversation

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom