Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Still ended up siding with Hylea though because my character had a high Benevolence stat and I figured returning the souls to the hollowborn would be consistent with his previous actions.
I couldn't bring myself to seeing this as a good idea at all. Hollowborn have no idea how to function, many are already dead. Previous will cause incredible amounts of problems and stress, latter will make parents who put their hollowborn children down to kill themselves.
Yeah, I liked how the ending made it clear that the "Benevolent" choice wasn't necessarily "good" and introduced its own brand of tragedy. Personally I would have gone with Galawain/Magran/Abydon or Berath.
The former because that would be the most beneficial for the people and the latter because he did have a point, the souls needed to be returned to the wheel so they can be used for reincarnation.

Ryrmgard didn't make much sense to me as destroying the souls wouldn't really bring anything, unless I missed something crucial.
Wael is just a troll.
Never spoke to Skaen but his cult are a bunch of weirdos so fuck him.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Delterius

Arcane
The Effigy is just the Crucifixion. The Dyrford girl is the Immaculate Conception.

Woedica is the Leviathan. The hobbesian absolute sovereign.

Skaen is the state of nature. The war of all against all.

Eothas is Christianity. The promise of a new dawn, the Kingdom of Heaven on earth.

Abydon is the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism.

Delterius

Arcane
And hylea is like

image.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The whole pantheon is the Leviathan, not only Woedica. Galawain is the state of nature (who gets to determine what that state is, however, is left hanging in the air). Eothas is the god of being butthurt, I guess. I don't know what his deal with Raedceras was. Hylea is YAAAY ~<3 Birdies UwU ~~

I'll get more into the arguments presented when I get back home, I have to go outside in a few minutes to fulfill my wageslave duties for a couple of hours again.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I don't know what his deal with Raedceras was.
Eothas is God the Father and Saint Waidwen is God the Son.

Eothas believed the Gods were too uncaring about the suffering of the world. The collapse and misery of the Readceran colony was the straw that broke the camel's back. So Eothas incarnated into Waidwen to divinely revive the Readceran crops and to liberate the colony. At first he believed that an independent Readceras could be the way towards a better world. He intended to lead a world-wide jihad to free Eora. But that was God the Father talking. We learn in Beast of Winter that Eothas' time as a mortal changed his perspective on things. Eothas came to understand that the system itself was faulty and the relationship between the Gods and mortals had to change. He resolved to accept his own death. He knew about the ambush and the Godhammer Bomb but came to believe that his own death - the death of a God - would make people question the other Gods and their doctrines. After all, if a God can be killed then, maybe, they are not as absolute as you'd think. The Battle of Halgot Citadel was meant to be the Crucifixion. But it wasn't enough. The Gods simply doubled down on the old system and nothing really changed. Hence PoE2's story: Eothas returns one last time, this time to die as a God rather than a Mortal, to destroy the Wheel and force the Gods to come into a compromise with mortalkind.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The whole pantheon is the Leviathan, not only Woedica. Galawain is the state of nature (who gets to determine what that state is, however, is left hanging in the air). Eothas is the god of being butthurt, I guess. I don't know what his deal with Raedceras was. Hylea is YAAAY ~<3 Birdies UwU ~~

I'll get more into the arguments presented when I get back home, I have to go outside in a few minutes to fulfill my wageslave duties for a couple of hours again.

Magran is Buddha. Wael is Hitler. Abydon is Tesla. What were we talking about?

Delterius

Arcane
Galawain is the state of nature
I don't think Galawain can really be the State of Nature, because the concept refers to the 'war of all against all'. Humans killing humans due to lack of a strong government. Galawain is something else entirely, an ideal of Survival of the Fittest. It can flow from the State of Nature, but it can also flow from 'civilized' state competition. There's a reason Galawain is related to Magran, the goddess of War. Skaen in contrast is clearly a foil to Woedica - the head of the Leviathan - and the one who justifies her position. Skaen is the Hobbesian State of Nature. The Thing that Woedica talks about.

There could have been some association between Skaen's rebellion, Magran's Trial by Fire and Galawain's Survival of the fittest. But that would preclude Abydon's Material Progress and Accumulation. The fact that Magran, Galawain and Abydon form a trinity means that Skaen has no place on it. To Galawain there's no Survival, for Skaen demands sacrifice and the Effigy dies out when it wins. Likewise to Magran there's no Trial or Becoming Stronger By The Fire, only Ultimate Sacrifice. To Abydon there's no Progress or Material Accumulation, because Skaen does not give his rebellion any purpose.

Wael is Hitler.

Woedica is the book burner, Wael is more like the Illuminati or the Deep State. The network of CIA agents which populates every news service in the US.

Last edited:

TedNugent

Arcane
The gods only make sense as a narrative device, e.g. to substantiate the concerns and shape the experiences of the people within the world itself.

It made a lot more sense in the first game - Waidwen's Legacy wasn't really about solving or stopping the Legacy, or Eothas' role in the Saint's War, it was about the dozens of little stories about people dealing with the trauma of their children being soulless husks. That's why the game was deliberately ambiguous about whether Eothas was even involved with Waidwen in the first place and why Eder was vacillating constantly as to whether Waidwen was the apotheosis of Eothas or just some delusional asshole creating strife. He legitimately had no idea, and neither did the player. The game left it as an open question, and that's why I was immediately put off by the introduction to Deadfire, where Berath tips their hand.

I will at least give them that they allowed the giant statue to be ambiguous in their motivation, which is at least unclear to the Pantheon at the start of the game. They really do need to fuck off with the roundtable discussions with the gods. It destroys the entire purpose of having the gods in the game in the first place.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They really do need to fuck off with the roundtable discussions with the gods.
I called them "the skype meetings", and they really sounded like just that - a meeting of the narrative designers brainstorming somewhere in Obsidian's offices, recreated in dialogue, and just as interesting.

They really do need to fuck off with the roundtable discussions with the gods. It destroys the entire purpose of having the gods in the game in the first place.

iirc some of these were added post-release, especially any where magran personally talks to you

I called them "the skype meetings", and they really sounded like just that - a meeting of the narrative designers brainstorming somewhere in Obsidian's offices, recreated in dialogue, and just as interesting.
Pillars of Eternity game gods do have cute mystery dignity narrative gravity anons but Deadfire gods do have American California brain disease nonsense anons! It is true anons! It is! It is many such cases Deadfire franchise killer anons! It is!

Sannom

Augur
You'd think the Roparu in the archipelago would be very interested in Skan, or he in them. Something isn't really thought out well about this god.
The Roparu in Neketaka and the ones taken as slaves by the Crockspur might but I think it would take a great deal of time for the cult of Skaen to grow.
Considering how Skaen's godlikes are treated by the Huana, in stark contrast to the other gods', there might also be some strong cultural aversion that the Skaen cult would have trouble fighting against.

I couldn't bring myself to seeing this as a good idea at all. Hollowborn have no idea how to function, many are already dead. Previous will cause incredible amounts of problems and stress, latter will make parents who put their hollowborn children down to kill themselves.
Yeah, Hylea should have probably clarified than when not applicable, she intended to transform the souls into extra kith births.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man... I wanna say that, conceptually, things in PoE are great, but the way they're delivered is to be desired. I'm sorry, but it is. PoE 2 is the only RPG I've never finished out of pure boredom. Maybe I'll change my mind and try to beat it one day, but...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Man... I wanna say that, conceptually, things in PoE are great, but the way they're delivered is to be desired. I'm sorry, but it is. PoE 2 is the only RPG I've never finished out of pure boredom. Maybe I'll change my mind and try to beat it one day, but...
It's not so bad if you approach it without expectations and take the time to let the game tell its story.

TedNugent

Arcane
There's nothing wrong with this, I got burned out many times before I decided to finally finish POE last month, and I actually thoroughly enjoyed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom