Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Crichton

Prophet
I thought Maia was terrible;

might literally be the only legitimately good companion of the series

especially in the second game she is the only sensible adult in a group of sex-crazed children

ironically, despite her being a lesbian, she is the only normie of the bunch

We must not have played the same game. In that first playthrough, with the Rautai character, I did the Maia "romance" which starts with her propositioning the PC for sex, no personal attachment whatever, and mentioning that she's slept with her commanding officer before.

Tenebris

Scholar
What I want to know is what the hell Xoti's writer was smoking. The woman acts like a teenager but in dialogue Xoti says she's 27 and to think she was a kickstarter fig goal too.

Tenebris

Scholar

Now this is interesting. This will make modding much easier for people to do. Though it may be a little too late for anything substantial to be made.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven’t played much since release and never got around to the DLC.

I find myself drawn back to play a cipher. In retrospect, cipher seemed like a unique concept that I never gave much time. I am thinking of Ascendant Cipher or Soulblade.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I find myself drawn back to play a cipher. In retrospect, cipher seemed like a unique concept that I never gave much time. I am thinking of Ascendant Cipher or Soulblade.
Ciphers are great... even if they lost some power compared to PoE1.

Personally I'm fond of Transcendants - with Forbidden Fist or Helwalker monks.

Though for ultimate mind control CC, a ranger multiclass would also be interesting.

A-Minish

Educated

Now this is interesting. This will make modding much easier for people to do. Though it may be a little too late for anything substantial to be made.

Damn, I wished I had this tool before having to spend a month and half for just creating a few custom classes :lol:

The Cipher's Psion subclasse was nice for support focused characters as it generats resources passively, suppressing the need to do damages and freeing your character to focus on other task, as long as you do not get damaged by anything.

It was nice to combine it with a chanter summoning hords of skeletons and beasts, giving a shitload of buff and OP inspiration(For example Ancestor's Memory to give infinite resources to your party members). It was especialy usefull on PathfOfTheDamned with enemy level scaling, imagine at higher level the possibility to spam the druid's Maelstrom or the wizard's Meteor Shower.

*sigh* Too bad the game underused the classes abilities outside of fights and a few contextual events. I realy wished we had a way to create custom campaign and dungeons, it would have helped the game so fucking much :negative: :negative:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

Though for ultimate mind control CC, a ranger multiclass would also be interesting.
My PotD goal is a nuke oriented ascendant to pair with a priest to extend all the buffs. I also saw creative use of Kitchen Stove (flame spell) and a Sabre with chill fog to quickly obtain max focus on an ascendant. Those items don’t come until later though, and so I am having to rely on Rod blast for quick focus.

I may have to bite the bullet and hire an adventurer, because Eder doesn’t buy enough time on PotD for me (that or I need to get good). I also didnt use the Berath blessing for the 4 additional levels, which I am kicking myself for now.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

My PotD goal is a nuke oriented ascendant to pair with a priest to extend all the buffs. I also saw creative use of Kitchen Stove (flame spell) and a Sabre with chill fog to quickly obtain max focus on an ascendant. Those items don’t come until later though, and so I am having to rely on Rod blast for quick focus.

I may have to bite the bullet and hire an adventurer, because Eder doesn’t buy enough time on PotD for me (that or I need to get good). I also didnt use the Berath blessing for the 4 additional levels, which I am kicking myself for now.
Well, a Helwalker is a nice pairing for a nuker.
And yeah, the toys you mention are great.

The sabre can actually be stolen pretty early if you max mechanics and know where to go (and get a couple levels through questing I guess).

Kitchen Stove does require finishing a serious quest, but it's not exactly late either.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I went pure Cipher (Ascendant) and Whisper of Treason/Puppet Master turned the tide on certain encounters on PotD, particularly the digsite and boar dude. I am impressed by the class, although I know spamming those spells will not always be an option.

Right now, the puzzle has been how to handle enemy wizards. I need to either find a spell/scroll that can protect against the missile barrage, or juke the cast on another character or summon, because that spell can instant gib my Cipher when I am unlucky. For example, the wizard with the looters or the undead spellcaster at the digsite have proved harder than the drake encounter at the digsite. My hope is that Aloth has a spell for that situation, but if not, I can always hire an adventurer.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I think you can sneak by Drake at Digsite and Boar dude is a dialogue check? Undead caster is optional but manageable.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I think you can sneak by Drake at Digsite and Boar dude is a dialogue check? Undead caster is optional but manageable.
I am trying to maintain a combat heavy run though. I recall using stealth or dialogue to skip a lot of fights on release, and I think I missed out on some decent encounters.

I was close to winning against the undead caster. . .and then I casted soul shock when the undead wizard had arcane reflector up; ko’d my own cipher.

Last edited:

Marvin78

Novice
It's my first playthrough of the game, and I'm loving it so far! My only complaint is that the console port is poorly designed (e.g., the party management UI), but at least the game is (almost) bug-free.

A question: I'm probably around midgame (all party members are lvl 15), and I've been using the same party up to now. When I tried switching some companions, I found out that the new ones had accumulated significantly less XP (around lvl 11-12). Is it because they were recruited at a later point, or do inactive companions earn less XP? I guess the latter would mean that the fastest way to reach lvl 20 would be to use the same party, right?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's my first playthrough of the game, and I'm loving it so far! My only complaint is that the console port is poorly designed (e.g., the party management UI), but at least the game is (almost) bug-free.

A question: I'm probably around midgame (all party members are lvl 15), and I've been using the same party up to now. When I tried switching some companions, I found out that the new ones had accumulated significantly less XP (around lvl 11-12). Is it because they were recruited at a later point, or do inactive companions earn less XP? I guess the latter would mean that the fastest way to reach lvl 20 would be to use the same party, right?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Those you don't use get a smaller percentage of what the active party earns, but I don't remember the formula. Actually it's well-explained in the wiki: https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Experience_and_advancement

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Roguey assessment is finally here.

As expected, I loathed the beginning. Hated the long walking sim intro where a bunch of people I don't care about said a bunch of things I had half- or fully-forgotten before I could even get to character creation (and of course one of the first patches made this skippable on replays :lol:). Hated the addition of quippy Whedonesque dialogue responses for the player character. Hated the new per-encounter system for spells with its expectation that you use them in nearly every encounter and its "two spells per level maximum in any given encounter" limit. Didn't like the new penetration system and how it encourages you to just stick with the highest-penetrating weapons so you don't have to frequently micromanage. Didn't like how large Neketaka was (which is funny given Sawyer's previous criticisms of Athkatla) and how it's full of hours of talking and walking and not enough potential combat in each individual map to break that up (unlike Athkatla); sure I was collecting combat quests, but they were all either higher level than I was or took place out of the city so I felt incentivized to collect everything before starting to work my way through them.

Contrary to many others, I didn't dislike the music. Seemed like a typical fantasy soundtrack to me. I really liked the jig that plays when you board an enemy ship (and the rearrangement that plays in taverns), but that turned out to be a reinterpretation of a song that played in the first game. An improvement's improvement though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everyone was right that Pallegina is far more irritating than she was in the first game. The logic used by the antagonists in her personal quest is also incredibly stupid and nonsensical. Pure failure on Sawyer's part, more supporting evidence that Adler and Avellone were right.

Despite that, I didn't hate the story like I thought I would. Sawyer must have taken the mocking nickname "Pillars of Equality" literally because this game is full of showing off the consequences of inequality. I could not in good conscience side with any faction because they were all terrible. And at first I wanted to make Eothas pay for killing all those people, but the more the gods talked, the more I hated them and thought the world would be better off without them, so Sawyer successfully persuaded me into going along with his railroaded plot.

I recall a lot of praise for Scokel and the Forgotten Sanctum, but I didn't think much of his work. Fyonlecg's animosity towards me really didn't have any justification other than him just being crazy. I also really really hated Tayn, but I suppose that was the point; he's an anachronistic-feeling absurdly goofy mediocre rich boy who coasts through life while all his capable female peers have to work twice as hard to get comparable success. Guy made a strawman of the kind of person he hates.

Despite my seething over some of the new systems, the combat was fine. I'm glad that after PoE and Tyranny they finally figured out a good default speed. I played on Veteran with no scaling whatsoever. It started off pretty demanding after the tutorial area and leveled off as I gained levels, but would still periodically challenge me. In the endgame, the islands on the north and south of the map were particularly demanding, and there were a good amount of tough encounters in the Forgotten Sanctum, though I insist that the Oracle of Wael was too demanding for something on a DLC's critical path. My endgame stats:
4sfcgdZ.jpg

Anyway, it was a fine game, though it has too many bothersome aspects to be a classic (the reasons why I cancelled my fig pledge and put off buying it in the first place). Pretty typical of Obsidian at this point. I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
the more I hated them and thought the world would be better off without them, so Sawyer successfully persuaded me into going along with his railroaded plot.

That's the whole point, ya dolt; it's like the main symptom of why the game's story is so poorly constructed. Sympathetic villain wasn't convincing enough so we'll make your allies complete unsympathetic cardboard cutout morons that you'll hate every step of the way.

Not only do you see the man behind the curtain; he's naked and it's Josh Sawyer

I played on Veteran with no scaling whatsoever [...] In the endgame, the islands on the north and south of the map were particularly demanding

Roguey, mate, I hate to tell you this but..: you are bad at RPGs

Anyway, it was a fine game

At least we agree on something :love:

Desiderius

Patron
Great job hitting most of the points, Roguey. I did like the Pirate stuff though and the combat system had some interesting synergies to explore if you avoided the broken stuff.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not only do you see the man behind the curtain; he's naked and it's Josh Sawyer
:lol:

Roguey, mate, I hate to tell you this but..: you are bad at RPGs
I finished the game without dialing down the difficulty though. :M I'm not bad, I'm just not great at them. Bad players are the kind of people Sawyer describes in his QA horror stories: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...te-march-expansion-thread.100006/post-4409223

I'm like a C/B student when it comes to comprehension of RPG systems. I wouldn't want to be an A, since it seems like the number of games I could enjoy would be far fewer.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm like a C/B student when it comes to comprehension of RPG systems. I wouldn't want to be an A, since it seems like the number of games I could enjoy would be far fewer.

I'm not great, in fact I'm bad enough that in one of my runs I turned Eder into this Archer-hybrid monstrosity that was literally a useless brick for the entire game, yet I cakewalked through the end of the game on PotD. It's balls hard in the beginning, but I thought difficulty after the midpoint was this game's biggest weakness (megabosses aside).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not great, in fact I'm bad enough that in one of my runs I turned Eder into this Archer-hybrid monstrosity that was literally a useless brick for the entire game, yet I cakewalked through the end of the game on PotD. It's balls hard in the beginning, but I thought difficulty after the midpoint was this game's biggest weakness (megabosses aside).
A great understanding of what tactics must be used can make up for poor character-building choices (and vice versa).

Desiderius

Patron
I thought difficulty after the midpoint was this game's biggest weakness (megabosses aside).
You can easily get overleveled for awhile but I think some of the endgame content can catch up to you if you're not prepared.

I'm not great, in fact I'm bad enough that in one of my runs I turned Eder into this Archer-hybrid monstrosity that was literally a useless brick for the entire game.
Don’t sell yourself short; you’re really good. You’ll be even better when you figure out I’m not a retard, but evidently that’s an expert-level skill.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom