Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, Haste here is one class only and keeps interrupting your Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry so there's that.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If Sawyer didn't want people to speed run, why did he leave endgame loot lying around in easily pickable chests? One could presume all of that shit was deliberately put there exactly to create powergaming opportunities.

But I guess real purist doesn't even level up or change starter weapons because that would require interacting with game mechanics.

Desiderius

Patron
You sound like Eder telling his son to demand answers from the God who’d abandoned Eder (instead of the father who’d abandoned that son for similar reasons - Eder himself).

Don’t blame Soyer for your own incontinence. Just because he put that apple there doesn’t mean you have to eat it. It isn’t for you.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You know, what, you convinced me. From now on, I'm not gonna use any combat abilities at all, that'd make the game easier and therefore is not supposed to be used. Then I'm gonna post on the Codex Pillars are very hard because I'm dying all the time.

I'm also going to take some amnesia pills before starting, gotta get rid of prior knowledge like builds or good tactics to use bosses. Don't wanna ruin the purity my playthrough.

This is the way.

Litmanen

Educated
Guys, after trying and abandoning 4/5 games that I knew I wouldn't like but my suicidal subconscious forces me to try, I'm finally on a game I know for sure I'll like.

I have just one question, after few minutes of game: how does the magic system work. I'm a priest and I have Interdiction (or something like that) and another spell who does a cone of flames. Now I have understood that each spell take its time to be casted and then you wait other people lower initiatives and then cast it but....

Come on, with area/cone spell, how am I supposed to do? I cast a spell somewhere and enemies maybe move from there of friendly folks step in.
Is there any experienced advice to avoid that?

ColonelMace

Educated
Basic strategy dictates to engage enemies with your frontliners, and cast aoe spells only after they've been pinned, in order to limit to the minimum any movement on their part.
Mind you, they can still disengage if they have the rogue kit, some specific monster abilities or if the computer deems your frontliners accuracy as so low or its goons defense indexes as so high that the risk is worth taking.

I never played in turn-based mode but assume it's not that different.

Litmanen

Educated
Basic strategy dictates to engage enemies with your frontliners, and cast aoe spells only after they've been pinned, in order to limit to the minimum any movement on their part.
Mind you, they can still disengage if they have the rogue kit, some specific monster abilities or if the computer deems your frontliners accuracy as so low or its goons defense indexes as so high that the risk is worth taking.

I never played in turn-based mode but assume it's not that different.
Thank you

Desiderius

Patron
Guys, after trying and abandoning 4/5 games that I knew I wouldn't like but my suicidal subconscious forces me to try, I'm finally on a game I know for sure I'll like.

I have just one question, after few minutes of game: how does the magic system work. I'm a priest and I have Interdiction (or something like that) and another spell who does a cone of flames. Now I have understood that each spell take its time to be casted and then you wait other people lower initiatives and then cast it but....

Come on, with area/cone spell, how am I supposed to do? I cast a spell somewhere and enemies maybe move from there of friendly folks step in.
Is there any experienced advice to avoid that?
Some spells have very low cast times so lend themselves well to moving targets. The ones with high cast times can be cast from Stealth pre-combat or after you've buffed your team and the fight has taken shape.

Recovery time is -85% from Stealth so good to cast those buffs while hidden.

Interdiction is pretty low duration, so other debuffs with longer ones may be better. Accuracy is important to help them land as well as paying attnetion to weak saves.

Some spells are enemies only and the companion Tekehu gets free nukes that usually aren't but are for him.

Desiderius

Patron
Man love the mechanics of this game but the writing really wears you down despite the appealing setting and deep storylines. Too much GoT, not enough LotR (or even Silmarillion).

Eder's quest is like "hey kid I saved you from Jonestown now we're even for me abandoning you, don't like it take it up with God"

Totally out of character and just... boring. Would it have killed them to have some options other than abandoning the kid or letting him die? Soyer's resentful nihilism kills his ample talent. Same with MKMaia. Hmmm, maybe offing promising tribal leaders is wrong... oh well, guess we've gotta suck it up for the greater glory of girlboss NATO!

Tranny Pelegrina gets a "happy" resolution but only if you affirm her self-mutilation at every step.

Ghey!

Last edited:

The Bishop

Cipher
Pretty sure you can just re-aim spells while they being cast in Deadfire. Not sure about doing it in TB mode, only played RTwP.

Desiderius

Patron
(1) Contemplative Xoti (getting the most out of the Lantern) is so good. Passives and fast self-buffs from Monk, group buffs and nukes from Priest.

The key is taking *no* Monk attack skills and just casting until everything is dead. Arcana gives her more staying power if needed/situational spells. Her Offensive spells (especially Blessed Harvest) refills her class resources. Rooting Pain triggers a lot with Enduring Dance.

(2) Pure Fighter Eder gets to Charge fast. Send him into a pack of mobs Stunning them briefly on the way, put up Enhance Defenses with a ton of Engagement and chuck bombs with high Explosves skill.

(3) Serafen Witch eventually gets there too with Leap and the defensive abilities and items that trigger on Bloodied. Borrow Instincts and slay. He starts with Tenuous Grasp which is cheap and fast. Spammed it on Druids in Balebranch Bog and they nuked each other.

(4) If you take Chanter on Tekehu or Pallegrina they can open combat with a fast Invocation ability that gives a big Armor boost in a cone. Original protects against Pierce, and the upgrade also voers Slash. Woodskin also protects against Pierce (firearms).

Offensive spells and abilities get a lot more reliable if you wait to gets Dire Bleassing up on team and target weak saves.

(5) Spellblade with Kalakoth's Blights on Aloth gets AoE debuffs/Finishing Blow.

Desiderius

Patron
Pretty sure you can just re-aim spells while they being cast in Deadfire. Not sure about doing it in TB mode, only played RTwP.
Yeah, if you hit tab it will show the progress bar so you can time it when its about to go off.

Litmanen

Educated
Some spells have very low cast times so lend themselves well to moving targets. The ones with high cast times can be cast from Stealth pre-combat or after you've buffed your team and the fight has taken shape.

Recovery time is -85% from Stealth so good to cast those buffs while hidden.

Interdiction is pretty low duration, so other debuffs with longer ones may be better. Accuracy is important to help them land as well as paying attnetion to weak saves.

Some spells are enemies only and the companion Tekehu gets free nukes that usually aren't but are for him.
Hmm, I have to improve my stealth, then, because for now it's quite weak. But thank you for the advices.

Man love the mechanics of this game but the writing really wears you down despire the appealing setting and deep storylines. Too much GoT, not enough LotR (or even Silmarillion).

Eder's quest is like "hey kid I saved you from Jonestown now we're even for me abandoning you, don't like it take it up with God"

Totally out of character and just... boring. Would it have killed them to have some options other than abandoning the kid or letting him die? Soyer's resentful nihilism kills his ample talent. Same with MKMaia. Hmmm, maybe offing promising tribal leaders is wrong... oh well, guess we've gotta suck it up for the greater glory of girlboss NATO!

Tranny Pelegrina gets a "happy" resolution but only if you affirm her self-mutilation at every step.

Ghey!

I've just played one hour (with Path of the Damned) and, as I said to another friend, yeah, I like the mechanics and the gameplay. And it has a lot in common to Pathfinder Kingmaker, too. Is there any reason for they mechanics resemblances? Do they have a common inspiration?
Yeah, if you hit tab it will show the progress bar so you can time it when its about to go off.
Eh, I play turn-based. Once I started play them in Fallout 1 eons ago, I cannot play without (when I have choice) and hardly like a game that is not turn-based.

Desiderius

Patron
The TB in Deadfire is far inferior to that in PF games. I play PF TB now because the Swift Action timing in RTwP is wonky but TB Deadfire kills the game.

Desiderius

Patron
As for Stealth I’ve just got a point or two on most characters. If you stay away from the vision cone you won’t be detected.

Rogue character needs a good bit along with Mechanics. Setting a trap from Stealth alerts mobs and draws them toward party but can open combat before they get there to detect anybody. Trap-setting doesn’t break it.

Ranger Root ability is underrated since it has huge range and Ranger doesn’t have as many skills/spells that benefit from fast recovery of Stealth unless it’s using a potion. Marked for the Hunt has even more and opens combat without breaking Stealth on anyone.

Currently playing Single-Class Sharpshooter and letting him open combat. Scout Maia with Three Bells Through Arquebus would be ideal for both.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Sharpshooter additional range is good with short-range weapons like Hand Mortars but Wounding Shot doesn’t apply in the AoE. Concussive Shot *does* apply to AoE (as do Rogue abilities if you multi) but it’s a Primary Attack (doesn’t use off-hand). Concussive upgrade is really strong when it applies.

Poison also doesn’t apply AoE. It can be applied pre-combat and doesn’t cost money to make so kind of a free roll but gets weird scaling on the Accuracy even with high Alchemy so have to make sure it’s targeting weak save on high priority target. Marked for the Hunt and Stalker’s Link *do* apply so probably best for Ghost Hunter that can put the pet in there where it wants it and doesn’t care about keeping it alive.

Explosives get *great* scaling on Accuracy and can be made in bulk so they’re a good source of AoE/control on characters that may be more single-target focused/defensive otherwise.

Litmanen

Educated
The TB in Deadfire is far inferior to that in PF games. I play PF TB now because the Swift Action timing in RTwP is wonky but TB Deadfire kills the game.
I have to admit that PoE II TB system is something I'm still trying to understand.
As for Stealth I’ve just got a point or two on most characters. If you stay away from the vision cone you won’t be detected.

Rogue character needs a good bit along with Mechanics. Setting a trap from Stealth alerts mobs and draws them toward party but can open combat before they get there to detect anybody. Trap-setting doesn’t break it.

Ranger Root ability is underrated since it has huge range and Ranger doesn’t have as many skills/spells that benefit from fast recovery of Stealth unless it’s using a potion. Marked for the Hunt has even more and opens combat without breaking Stealth on anyone.

Currently playing Single-Class Sharpshooter and letting him open combat. Scout Maia with Three Bells Through Arquebus would be ideal for both.

Sharpshooter additional range is good with short-range weapons like Hand Mortars but Wounding Shot doesn’t apply in the AoE. Concussive Shot *does* apply to AoE (as do Rogue abilities if you multi) but it’s a Primary Attack (doesn’t use off-hand). Concussive upgrade is really strong when it applies.

Poison also doesn’t apply AoE. It can be applied pre-combat and doesn’t cost money to make so kind of a free roll but gets weird scaling on the Accuracy even with high Alchemy so have to make sure it’s targeting weak save on high priority target. Marked for the Hunt and Stalker’s Link *do* apply so probably best for Ghost Hunter that can put the pet in there where it wants it and doesn’t care about keeping it alive.

Explosives get *great* scaling on Accuracy and can be made in bulk so they’re a good source of AoE/control on characters that may be more single-target focused/defensive otherwise.
I'll try to remember all these advices, but for the moment I'm still very eraly in the game. I made a priest of Magran and obviously have Edèr and now Xoti (as a monk).

Desiderius

Patron
Well you’re going to need a character with Mechanics and that character can set the Traps you collect to good effect since Trap Accuracy scales on Mechanics skill. Rogues and Ciphers (Serafen) start with a point in it.

Serafen wants to be in the thick of the fight as a Barb so his multi benefits from drawing the mobs with the trap. Same with Swashbuckler Eder.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Poisons have very long durations and apply both a healthy DoT and a debuff*, and unlike pots and scrolls are free to make.

Think I’m going to figure out how to make them good. Charge from Eder applying save debuff weapon + Stun (lowering Deflection)?

Apply to Ranger pre-combat then let combat develop doing other things until a good target presents itself for poisoned attack? Maybe on Geomancer Maia following Wizbuff chain to give her bird a chance to turn on Stalker’s Link.

* - can be used to dispel an Inspiration even on Graze and DoT still applies. DoT turns on 50% damage bonus ability for pet.

Desiderius

Patron
So, uh, Blightheart is kind of a no brainer on Druid/Chanter Tekehu.

He can bypass all the fighting on Motare Island to get it straight out of Neketaka (if you have a plan for the Royal Deadfire ship that accosts you leaving). He gets Tanglefoot for autopick on Druid to level it up, and it gives 1 Chanter phrase on *any* kill (enemies only Druid nukes).

His Chanter nukes aren’t enemies only but he can open combat from Stealth with a fast cone that gives team +4 Armor vs Shock (and just about everything else when upgraded).

There’s even a helm that wants to take Shock damage…

Litmanen

Educated
Thank you Desiderius for all the advices.

Anyway, nowI have another question: I know I will hit level 20 way before of the end of the game (I have all the DLCs and I'm a completitionist), so I was trying to understand what to do not to make the game bland and shallow in his last part. At the beginning, I was playing it with PotD and the Arena fight in the mine site was absolutely impossible for me (with just Edèr and Xoti). Then I switched to Veteran+added Aloth+reached lvl 4 and all the other battles in the area have been quite easy. Do I have to switch back to PotD to have a bit of challenge or Veteran is ok?

Piotrovitz

Savant
1. Stick to PotD. Though I'm not sure if game allows to turn it back on once you've lowered difficulty. The digsite fight is hard as fuck with story companions only, so I always hire mercs in Port Maje and go there with 5 man party.

2. Install Deadly Deadfire mod, or at least 'less XP' component. XP gain can be also modified manually in the ini file - I fiddled with it and when I expected huge XP dump from e.g. bounty or main quest, I've turned it down by 50% or so. That way you'll get constant feeling of char progressin through the whole game.

Desiderius

Patron
Sneak through the footprint at Digsite to get with your back to the wall below the gunpowder barrel. Set a Trap to draw the mobs then explode the barrel.

Should one shot the Wurms and take the Panthers low. Use Bombs from there.

You can sneak into the Arena to get traps (Corrosion trap Sicken lowers HP and has fairly big radius and may trigger before the barrel blows up). Can also sneak in to pickup the Skrim Sword for Eder and the Fine Dagger for Xoti (she has the Modal) before fighting Drake.

Drake goes away when you reactivate the Adra column if you want to skip.

Desiderius

Patron
Multiclassing the companions slows down development somewhat (while giving you a variety of tools to address different threats and some fun synergies).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom