Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Traps scale very nicely with Mechanics* and Bombs with Explosives. I think +3 Accuracy Bracers from upper Arena also apply since it’s passive bonus. Cinder Bombs (Blind + damage) may also be in that chest, can’t remember. Can get it in Stealth without fighting (yet).

* - there’s some shoes on Deck of Many Things that add +50%

Litmanen

Educated
1. Stick to PotD. Though I'm not sure if game allows to turn it back on once you've lowered difficulty. The digsite fight is hard as fuck with story companions only, so I always hire mercs in Port Maje and go there with 5 man party.

2. Install Deadly Deadfire mod, or at least 'less XP' component. XP gain can be also modified manually in the ini file - I fiddled with it and when I expected huge XP dump from e.g. bounty or main quest, I've turned it down by 50% or so. That way you'll get constant feeling of char progressin through the whole game.

You should be allowed to go back, for what I've seen. The digsite fight, indeed, for ma was "oh shit, too much". But it's true I could hire some mercenary. I normally forgot mercenaries are a thing.

And maybe I will install also Deadly Deadfire (but maybe it will be TOO difficult for such a shitty gamer like me). To be already 5th level, indeed, after just this first city, seems really too much.
Sneak through the footprint at Digsite to get with your back to the wall below the gunpowder barrel. Set a Trap to draw the mobs then explode the barrel.

Should one shot the Wurms and take the Panthers low. Use Bombs from there.

You can sneak into the Arena to get traps (Corrosion trap Sicken lowers HP and has fairly big radius and may trigger before the barrel blows up). Can also sneak in to pickup the Skrim Sword for Eder and the Fine Dagger for Xoti (she has the Modal) before fighting Drake.

Drake goes away when you reactivate the Adra column if you want to skip.
Multiclassing the companions slows down development somewhat (while giving you a variety of tools to address different threats and some fun synergies).

Yeah, I tried to sneak but unsuccessful. In the end, I did it but on Veteran. I hadn't thought about the barrels (I didn't it was a thing either, I discovered it later, in the dungeon with Oderisi). Xoti, to be honest, is mostly a bare-handed monk. And the dagger was for sure in the chest I wasn't able to open (but I will come back now that I have leveled).
Can I multiclass AFTER I made the decision about my companions' class? To be honest, I've never "understood" multiclassing...

Desiderius

Patron
No, it’s locked in when you choose them.

Xoti Contemplative (Priest/Monk) lets her cast the insane Blessed Harvest and key buffs while using Monk passives to boost her casting. Lantern makes her casting better while refilling her Monk resources when she kills stuff (with spells).

If your main isn’t a class with Mechanics it’s helpful to make Eder at least part Rogue. Aloth can fill that role but then you don’t have access to traps for Drake fight, and Serafen starts with a point in Mechanics as well.

I’ve got Eder on Swashbuckler* but he’s focused on Explosives so Serafen will be main Trapper. He wants to be in the thick of the fight to get Bloodied for Barb.

* - starts with one point of Mechanics. I think I have one point on Ranger/Pal main from background

Arcana is nice on Priest for situational scrolls (so you don’t have to burn spell picks on them).

MC is ranking up Alchemist for Drugs, Poisons, and Pots

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Arena fight is notoriously difficult, but from that point onwards it's not as bad even on POTD. Just use reduce xp mods and you're set.

I also wouldn't recommend multi-classing at all on a first run, complicates stuff too much, just go with single they're fine.

Litmanen

Educated
Arena fight is notoriously difficult, but from that point onwards it's not as bad even on POTD. Just use reduce xp mods and you're set.

I also wouldn't recommend multi-classing at all on a first run, complicates stuff too much, just go with single they're fine.
Yes, indeed. I'm still in Port Maje (but now I'm leaving), just leveled to level 5.
I've downloaded only the "reduce XP" part of Deadly Deadfire and we will see. The other parts of the mods were too much for me. I will never been that pro in using every single aspect of the game at the best like a some of you can. So, it's already enoigh PotD and less XP (without level scaling)

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You know I've tried playing PoE II a few times now and I seem to struggle the most with connecting to the setting.

I get that we are exploring a different place of the world and it's not supposed to feel like the original Pillars, but did everything have to change this much? Sure the adventure tone in the game I like, but why the hell does my character have to be tied in any way to the original game? Seriously, my character could have been any schmuck from the sea and just get Berath's blessing in some different way than getting resurrected and be forced into the Chosen One narrative.

On paper being a foreigner that's patroned by the gods, sailing around an isle territory you know nothing about, getting to know all the inhabitants and factions there, their motives, culture and choosing how to help/harm them sounds nice. But what does this have to do with the first Pillars? Why does my character have to be a reincarnation of that Watcher? I just don't get why they didn't let me create a new character and meet new companions along the way. They should have went guns blazing and try to separate the sequel even more than the original.

When it comes to sequels this is a really odd one for me. It doesn't feel like a true sequel to the first one and I've played to the mid-game where the combat feels more PoE like, but something is way off. I don't really get the feeling of impending doom around the world even though I'm chasing a God across the seas. Everything is so bright and sunny and no one seems troubled by the events that are happening. Are you kidding me? I'm chasing a reincarnated God that nobody knows why he is doing what he is doing and people are just yapping and acting surprised. Haven't felt any fucking urgency in the game whatsoever.

Do you remember the first village you went to in OG Pillars - Gilded Vale? Well let me refresh your memory, just in case, the place looks like a ghost town that's seen much better days. There was also had a huge tree planted right in the middle of the village, a tree that nobody can miss. A big old and strong tree with tons of solid branches spreading in every direction. Surely such a tree must have looked over plenty of generations before getting this strong and big. But now hanged people are dangling from all of the hands it has spread out. You don't need a better visual to convey the feeling that this is lowest point of the village, or maybe even the world we are in. Shortly after spotting it some town goons walk up to you and inform you that they did this because they are trying to stop the Hollowborn criss. Holy shit. I remember looking at all of this and immediately thinking these people might want me dead if I don't play my cards right. I felt fucking danger. I felt like I should be on my toes, be careful about my words. Suddenly there was more urgency and a previously unfamiliar darkness over the world that I was in. Later on meeting Aloth being bullied by the tavern goons that had just thrown him out only added to the tension and despair this whole world was finding itself it. The feeling that this all might be a bit too much for regular old me to handle, doubts starting creep up if I will be able to resolve any of this let alone all of it.

And what do I get in Pillars 2? I get killed offscreen, resurrected right after, crash land on an island, my crew is waiting for me to pick them up, the ghosts are friendly and I'm getting attacked by a boar right after I've recruited my main tank. Oh, and I'm also a Watcher that's been chosen by the Gods. Fucking genius.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyway, my main toon is a Chanter which I'm thinking of respecting into Mechanics/Stealth/Sleight of Hand some time soon. Stealing and Sneaking feels to valuable here. This change I like a lot. I just hope it doesn't get old very fast. I also don't want to run a Priest in my party as they have a spell for everything and I already did that in the original game.

What's the 'dex take on tanking here? Having Eder as a Fighter starts to feel like he's going to be unmovable some time soon and I've only just hit lvl 6. People have commented that Fighter was really boring in the original Pillars and I can agree with that if I compare him to how flexible the other melee classes become later on, but for my party I was able to make good use of him since he was able to tank tons of mobs while the I was decimating everything else on my screen with my Monk and Paladin. I'm thinking I should focus more on AoE for PoE2 as the encounters look very dense small. But maybe having full tank Eder spamming Grenades fits that narrative nicely? Some theory crafting could be done here, but I like the options I am given. Curious what you guys might think about this too.

Overall the fights so far haven't really been that hard apart from me being undergeared or underleveled. I feel like I can get away with having 2 tanky melee dps toons (Paladin and Monk maybe) instead of playing a Full tank in my party. Maybe my Chanter can fill the off-tank position around the mid game? Should be able to beat the game with no Priest and using pots/scrolls is what I'm thinking.

ColonelMace

Educated
I don't mind boring archetypes in a party-based real-time w/ pause hack n slash. I even purposefully usually go for 3 no brainers, 2 high maintenance guys.

A funny way to tank would be wizard/priest. Played a pure frontline wizard in PoE1 and once passed the first 5 to 7 levels of sheer pain, you're basically a god of war (Citzal spells are busted beyond understanding).

Desiderius

Patron
Anyway, my main toon is a Chanter which I'm thinking of respecting into Mechanics/Stealth/Sleight of Hand some time soon. Stealing and Sneaking feels to valuable here. This change I like a lot. I just hope it doesn't get old very fast. I also don't want to run a Priest in my party as they have a spell for everything and I already did that in the original game.

What's the 'dex take on tanking here? Having Eder as a Fighter starts to feel like he's going to be unmovable some time soon and I've only just hit lvl 6. People have commented that Fighter was really boring in the original Pillars and I can agree with that if I compare him to how flexible the other melee classes become later on, but for my party I was able to make good use of him since he was able to tank tons of mobs while the I was decimating everything else on my screen with my Monk and Paladin. I'm thinking I should focus more on AoE for PoE2 as the encounters look very dense small. But maybe having full tank Eder spamming Grenades fits that narrative nicely? Some theory crafting could be done here, but I like the options I am given. Curious what you guys might think about this too.

Overall the fights so far haven't really been that hard apart from me being undergeared or underleveled. I feel like I can get away with having 2 tanky melee dps toons (Paladin and Monk maybe) instead of playing a Full tank in my party. Maybe my Chanter can fill the off-tank position around the mid game? Should be able to beat the game with no Priest and using pots/scrolls is what I'm thinking.
It’s not boring if he’s chucking bombs while doing it. Can also use weapon modals to debuff saves while tanking. Mobs tend to be pretty spread out so not trivial to get them all on the Fighter in any event.

Desiderius

Patron
Unlike PF games nonactive companions/sidekicks don’t get EXP but they *do* fight during ship battles. The extra EXP can be used to keep them in fighting shape. Most quests have unique interactions for specific companions so game not designed for Icewind Daling with set party comp.

MC getting overleveled can make game soloish I guess, but if you’re supporting underleveled companions it can even out.

Desiderius

Patron

Yes, indeed. I'm still in Port Maje (but now I'm leaving), just leveled to level 5.
I've downloaded only the "reduce XP" part of Deadly Deadfire and we will see. The other parts of the mods were too much for me. I will never been that pro in using every single aspect of the game at the best like a some of you can. So, it's already enoigh PotD and less XP (without level scaling)
For some reason people assume you *have* to play games like you’re rushing through content to get geared up for your endgame raid.

If you’re playing blind with a non optimized class combo (you’re playing Magran Priest right?) then there’s no reason just playing on Veteran shouldn’t be fine. Just don’t look up where all the leet items are and the weird tricks to get them ahead of time.

Focus on covering your bases and playing well with what you have.

Desiderius

Patron
The game will give you clues about how to get the most out of each companion. Xoti’s Lantern for instance boosts Restoration and Inspiration spells so she wants to be casting but it also refills monk resources when she kills stuff (so does her class).

If you kill things with the spells she gets for free that saves level-ups for the great Monk passives. Dance of Death builds up Accuracy for those spells to hit more reliably.

Likewise Serafen starts with a ranged and melee weapon. Though he can only use one at a time both do AoE damage so you’re always getting some even when stuck behind other companions.

You’ll figure out there are probably better things to do but it takes awhile before he gets a mobility ability to put him in the thick of the fight consistently.

The Cipher ability he starts with is fast and cheap so he just needs to consistently hit stuff to fuel it. Confusion is -5 INT (less duration on affilictions and area on AoEs) and Shaken is -3 Power levels while reducing Deflection and both debuff Will saves. Spamming that strategically is pretty good!

Only thing he needs is help with Accuracy. Great place for Dire Blessing from your MC Priest or Xoti.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Eh, I'd say it's the other way around - multiclassing in Deadfire requires almost zero planning/metagaming knowledge and generally makes things easier even for noobs by stacking benefits from both classes (fig/rog, pall/cha, etc). The only way you can fuck yourself over is choosing some wonky combo, like barb/ranger.

Desiderius

Patron
Furyshaper/Stalker would be pretty good, since Rangers typically lack things to do from Stealth at beginning of fight so you can just summon your totem while waiting for AoE buffs to resolve. Pet can help guard Totem.

Ancient/Stalker plays similarly with Sporelings. Marked for the Hunt and Stalker’s Link helps Barbaric Blow upgrade to Hit/Crit.

There are probably trap subclass multis but hard to find one for general classes.

Last edited:

Litmanen

Educated
You know I've tried playing PoE II a few times now and I seem to struggle the most with connecting to the setting.

I get that we are exploring a different place of the world and it's not supposed to feel like the original Pillars, but did everything have to change this much? Sure the adventure tone in the game I like, but why the hell does my character have to be tied in any way to the original game? Seriously, my character could have been any schmuck from the sea and just get Berath's blessing in some different way than getting resurrected and be forced into the Chosen One narrative.

On paper being a foreigner that's patroned by the gods, sailing around an isle territory you know nothing about, getting to know all the inhabitants and factions there, their motives, culture and choosing how to help/harm them sounds nice. But what does this have to do with the first Pillars? Why does my character have to be a reincarnation of that Watcher? I just don't get why they didn't let me create a new character and meet new companions along the way. They should have went guns blazing and try to separate the sequel even more than the original.

When it comes to sequels this is a really odd one for me. It doesn't feel like a true sequel to the first one and I've played to the mid-game where the combat feels more PoE like, but something is way off. I don't really get the feeling of impending doom around the world even though I'm chasing a God across the seas. Everything is so bright and sunny and no one seems troubled by the events that are happening. Are you kidding me? I'm chasing a reincarnated God that nobody knows why he is doing what he is doing and people are just yapping and acting surprised. Haven't felt any fucking urgency in the game whatsoever.

Do you remember the first village you went to in OG Pillars - Gilded Vale? Well let me refresh your memory, just in case, the place looks like a ghost town that's seen much better days. There was also had a huge tree planted right in the middle of the village, a tree that nobody can miss. A big old and strong tree with tons of solid branches spreading in every direction. Surely such a tree must have looked over plenty of generations before getting this strong and big. But now hanged people are dangling from all of the hands it has spread out. You don't need a better visual to convey the feeling that this is lowest point of the village, or maybe even the world we are in. Shortly after spotting it some town goons walk up to you and inform you that they did this because they are trying to stop the Hollowborn criss. Holy shit. I remember looking at all of this and immediately thinking these people might want me dead if I don't play my cards right. I felt fucking danger. I felt like I should be on my toes, be careful about my words. Suddenly there was more urgency and a previously unfamiliar darkness over the world that I was in. Later on meeting Aloth being bullied by the tavern goons that had just thrown him out only added to the tension and despair this whole world was finding itself it. The feeling that this all might be a bit too much for regular old me to handle, doubts starting creep up if I will be able to resolve any of this let alone all of it.

And what do I get in Pillars 2? I get killed offscreen, resurrected right after, crash land on an island, my crew is waiting for me to pick them up, the ghosts are friendly and I'm getting attacked by a boar right after I've recruited my main tank. Oh, and I'm also a Watcher that's been chosen by the Gods. Fucking genius.
I honestly feel the urgence.

There is some supposedly big dude, probably one who bullied others in high school too, who destroyed my castle just because he doesn't care about private property.

I feel the urgence to catch him and sue him until the last cent.

Litmanen

Educated

Litmanen

Educated

For some reason people assume you *have* to play games like you’re rushing through content to get geared up for your endgame raid.

If you’re playing blind with a non optimized class combo (you’re playing Magran Priest right?) then there’s no reason just playing on Veteran shouldn’t be fine. Just don’t look up where all the leet items are and the weird tricks to get them ahead of time.

No, I'm not the guy who rushes a game. I look for every single corner of the game and try to survive since there are some mechanics that I will never learn/exploit at best (like traps and, in general, a strategic preparation before the battles).

Piotrovitz

Savant
I prefer this mod for exp reduction:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/729

It removes the bounty quest exp and added them to the DLC quests.
Haven't heard about this one, indeed looks better than fixed reduction from DD component (with which you'll still hit the cap before completing all DLCs). No XP from bounties sucks though and takes away any motivation from doing them, since gold is not a problem in this game and afaik they don't bring any notable loot.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Desiderius

Patron
I mean Evasive Roll at lvl 7 is great for Barb since multi-Barb doesn’t get Leap until lvl 13 (costs two Rage instead of one Bond) and to get the most out of Carnage and Bloodied effects requires precise placement.

Accurate Wounding Shot works in melee and is a Full Attack, etc. Corpse Eater can use Bond for Ranger abilities with Barb passives and Frenzy. Ranger can use the damage boost and Barb the Accuracy.

Desiderius

Patron

No, I'm not the guy who rushes a game. I look for every single corner of the game and try to survive since there are some mechanics that I will never learn/exploit at best (like traps and, in general, a strategic preparation before the battles).
Traps are basic tactics to draw mobs. You need a character with decent Mechanics anyway, and the traps use your Mechanics level instead of character stats.

If you take Searing Seal as a Priest of Magran it should benefit from your other Fire boosting abilities and equipment and if you set it a couple seconds before combat the spell slot will refresh.

That’s a pretty long Blind too.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I mean Evasive Roll at lvl 7 is great for Barb since multi-Barb doesn’t get Leap until lvl 13 (costs two Rage instead of one Bond) and to get the most out of Carnage and Bloodied effects requires precise placement.

Accurate Wounding Shot works in melee and is a Full Attack, etc. Corpse Eater can use Bond for Ranger abilities with Barb passives and Frenzy. Ranger can use the damage boost and Barb the Accuracy.
It's a perfectly playable combo. But it's counter-intuitive because Rangers typically play at range and Barbarians have to go melee. There is a Ranger sub-class (Stalker) that's specialized for melee, so if you choose that it probably works great.

Desiderius

Patron
Stalker has a reasonably significant benefit to staying near your pet (playing one right now using Hand Mortars as half of a Shepherd with Kind Wayfarer) but also a big penalty for getting separated, but other Rangers can go melee. Only the Evasive Roll upgrade is Ranged Only I think, along with a couple passives. Can’t get to all the passives anyway (especially multiclassed) so no big loss.

Only Arcane Archer and Sharpshooter are nonbos.

Evasive Roll would be really nice to get Mageslayer back to the casters since unlike Escape it applies Quick to either speed up atk and recovery or prevent/remove Dex affliction that could prevent you from getting there. Marked for the Hunt has 20 range. In this case you wouldn’t want Stalker.

I don’t think Ranger buffs are affected by friendly spell resistance since Rangers don’t count as casters. Mageslayer can’t afford to stick around for Priest buffs in any event. Concussive Tranquilizer/Accurate Wounding Shot are one Bond each and just what you’re looking for.

Probably Ghost Heart so you can summon it once you’re in the back row without needing the pet passives since you’re taking abilities instead. Survival of the Fittest good too.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Barbs are kinda weird because for 90% of the game you're better off multiclassing , but those endgame tier single class abilities are pretty sweet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom