Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shevek

Arcane
I am sure they will address the issue. Hopefully soon.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Discussing Ranger Health Mechanics with Josh on SA atm

Sensuki said:
Well the problem is that both threats (the Ranger and the Companion) die at once when you kill one of them. I'm just thinking it would be more interesting if when one died, the other one lost TotalEndurance*0.4 or 0.5 (or whatever) from their current endurance or something, that way the optimal way to beat the class is more than just attack the ranger only.

rope kid said:
We've considered doing something similar to that, with the partner gaining a debuff (rather than simply losing Endurance/Health) but there have been enough bugs in how shared Endurance and animal companion-specific Abilities were working that I didn't want to switch over quite yet.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The more I think about health/endurance the more I think it shouldn't be a strict ratio.

It should be something more like halve the ratio and then if a character goes down they lose a bunch of health at once. So like this: a character has 100 endurance and 800 heath. If hey get knocked out, they lose 100 health.

That way there is an incentive to keeping all your dudes up in combat.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Josh gave me this quip on SA just before ... I wonder if that's related to my Engagement thread lmao

rope kid said:
In general, I think it's risky to draw conclusions about anything from the fight with Medreth et al. It's about the most advantageous setup the player could ever ask for.

I should do some against Lions and Beetles.

Shevek

Arcane
Do some in the last dungeon. If you can do it there, that will drive the point home.

aeonsim

Augur
Josh gave me this quip on SA just before ... I wonder if that's related to my Engagement thread lmao

rope kid said:
In general, I think it's risky to draw conclusions about anything from the fight with Medreth et al. It's about the most advantageous setup the player could ever ask for.

Try the party by the egg, they're still not initially hostile but it maybe more challenging.

Sensuki

Arcane
With that one you can abuse the crap out of that by only sending one party member forward, and then having them run down the hill to the rest of your party.

Rake

Arcane
With that one you can abuse the crap out of that by only sending one party member forward, and then having them run down the hill to the rest of your party.
Tell that to Sawyer. The fact that your party never walks into an ambuse from nowhere means that the player will always come to combat in his own terms. Whether he will initiate combat by attacking with one character and then walk away(Medreth et al.) or move the same character into enemies Line of sight and then walk away (already hostile enemies) doesn't make a difference.

Hormalakh

Magister

rope kid said:

Yep! I told you that's the first thing he'd say: "Oh well Medreth's easy. Let's see you do that to a dragon!" There are going to be a lot of "but! what if's" that you're going to have to show. That basically means that you'll have to prove to them in several scenarios why it fails...

And in the mean time they'll continue to chug away at a useless mechanic.

BTW - very excellent job sensuki - I wonder if my paper is even needed at this point.

Sensuki

Arcane
I'll do some more tonight and post them in the thread - beetles, lions etc - same shit. Their QA team is probably trying it out right now as well tbh.

tuluse that guy is a ranged enemy IIRC

Shevek

Arcane
How about the spiders in the Ogre Cave? Lots of melee. That should be a good test.

Still, even against Medreth, that cheese shouldnt be that easy to pull off. I am surprised at Josh's reaction, honestly.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The bigger idiot is the guy who doesn't ask for a refund despite being fully convinced that he funded another idiot

Still, even against Medreth, that cheese shouldnt be that easy to pull off. I am surprised at Josh's reaction, honestly.

Well, he said "in general", ie, he was not referring to a specific "cheese", one of which he might feel differently about.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
I was talking about the Ranger in Medreth's group being easy to kill before he said that, so it could have meant multiple things.

Shevek

Arcane
The bigger idiot is the guy who doesn't ask for a refund despite being fully convinced that he funded another idiot

53637030.jpg

He said "in general", ie, he was not referring to a specific "cheese".

This is true but it does encompass it. Also, this exploit, its so simple, so easy to generalize and abuse against melee opponents, that I felt the brevity of Josh's response just wasnt enough. I guess I just want to be assured that they are looking at it (even though, I am sure they are).

I was talking about the Ranger in Medreth's group being easy to kill before he said that, so it could have meant multiple things.

That makes sense.

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane

Soo, just like any IE game then.
With the difference that here this is literaly the only thing you need to do. The "rest of the party" autokills everything that comes near it with disengagment attacks without you be required to click anything. You can win the encounters without attacking even once, just running around. Josh wanted to fix kiting, instead he "balanced" it by making it possible for all classes, and removing the "attack" from the "attack while running away"
Huge improvement... :lol:

Hormalakh

Magister

With the difference that here this is literaly the only thing you need to do. The "rest of the party" autokills everything that comes near it with disengagment attacks without you be required to click anything. You can win the encounters without attacking even once, just running around. Josh wanted to fix kiting, instead he "balanced" it by making it possible for all classes, and removing the "attack" from the "attack while running away"

:D. At least now fighters are a viable option compared to ... kiting fighters?

Rake

Arcane

:D. At least now fighters are a viable option compared to ... kiting fighters?
:balance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom