Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shevek

Arcane
When I sent off my interview in June this year I asked a question about new mechanics in future installments, it was not answered.

We do know that more complicated spells will be looked into for the expansion, so that's something.

I really think spell sequencers, contingencies, etc would go a LONG way in making the wizard feel more wizardly.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find the Metamagic concept of 3E to be much more useful in practice than that stuff. You can use the Quicken Metamagic feat to approximate what sequencers do.

Shevek

Arcane
I do like metamagic too. Either of those solutions would add some much needed distinction to how the wizard plays.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I find the Metamagic concept of 3E to be much more useful in practice than that stuff. You can use the Quicken Metamagic feat to approximate what sequencers do.
There is something very satisfying about clicking one button and having 3 spells shoot out.

Shevek

Arcane
Both would be nice. Imagine sequencing metamagicked spells. That sounds pretty wizardly.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I don't find the sequencers to be particularly important to my experience but the idea of contingencies/still spells kind of make sense to me as a powerful wizard should reasonably be able to prepare these types of defences ahead of time. A single contingency seems to be a better solution for that purpose as opposed to a large number of still spells in 3E though.

What I do miss are hard counters and all the utility spells mages had, neither of which seem to be in the cards as long as Josh is in charge of the franchise.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I never used contingency ever in the IE games, I also miss hard counters and utility spells.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah like when you get hit with an affliction in PE, there's like only 3 spells in the game atm (?) that do anything against them. A Paladin spell that suspends them for 15 secs on an ally. A Monk self-buff that suspends them for 10 or 15 sec (?) on himself and a Priest spell that suspends them in a small AoE for 6 seconds base.

6 second suspension just ain't worth it, better off casting an AoE heal.

Athelas

Arcane
Yeah like when you get hit with an affliction in PE, there's like only 3 spells in the game atm (?) that do anything against them. A Paladin spell that suspends them for 15 secs on an ally. A Monk self-buff that suspends them for 10 or 15 sec (?) on himself and a Priest spell that suspends them in a small AoE for 6 seconds base.

6 second suspension just ain't worth it, better off casting an AoE heal.
I don't see how. Suspending a poison effect for instance will prevent damage (any damage, if you can finish the fight before the suspension ends), healing stamina means you still take health damage.

EDIT: Oh, you said 6 sec. Yeah, that is indeed way too short.

At leas
I am happy that the skill system will be revamped. Complaining helps.

I don't care if he came to the conclusion on his own and he has most probably not even seen my thread about this subject. I will pretend it was all me.

I am also happy that we will get IE style loot drops from enemies.

Baby steps in the right direction.

Josh should have a look at the IE games for inspiration. Plenty of mechanics there that would benefit a rtwp game like PoE.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
More fun with Disengagement abuse, this time with 3 Rogues and a Druid

No less than 7 disengagement attacks scored by the 3 Rogues, lol.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh, how about they add a health threshold(1/4 or whatever), so the ranger doesn't die. This way you still don't use the companion as cannon fodder, which is why they added the health link in the first place.

Side-note: WTF! I was sure Durance was a dwarf judging by the portrait and VO. He's actually human? :(

mastroego

Arcane
I really think spell sequencers, contingencies, etc would go a LONG way in making the wizard feel more wizardly.

True.
Contingencies in particular really felt like magic.
I mean, arcane power discharged when some conditions are met!

I used to have a Fighter/Mage with a "panic mode" setting for contingencies and triggers. Contingencies would fire Protection From Magical Energy, Mislead, Stoneskin, or some other wide-range combination of defensive spells.
Spell Trigger would fire Tenser's Transformation, Improved Haste, Improved Invisibility (or something), to become an instant-killing machine.

It was glorious.

Arkadin

Arcane
What’s more I think that the Melee Engagement system is detrimental to the gameplay and removes many of the tactical elements from combat after the opening and contributes to making combat less fun than the Infinity Engine games. Some elements of tactical play that the Melee Engagement system heavily penalizes or prevents are re-shuffling formations mid-melee to take advantage of the terrain, tactical retreating and switching aggro. The lack of tactical movement in combat after has begun puts a large emphasis on the strategical aspect - the combat opening, while removing the tactical aspect - reactive play.

Thanks for your effort, but this to me is more interesting than the issues you've highlighted in the videos. It might hold more weight with Sawyer, I'm not sure.

These strike me as what he would say are ways to build effective characters and not so much exploits, if the game were already balanced better:

• Attack Resolution system – I can ensure that I have very high accuracy for my disengagement attacks by maxing Perception, using items that give bonus accuracy and casting accuracy buffs with a short cast time (such as Dire Blessing) on my party before enemies get in range so that I score many critical hits on disengagement attacks
  • Two Handed Weapons – Two Handed Weapons do the highest damage, and since disengagement attacks are free of recovery time, equipping two handed weapons ensures maximum damage on disengagement attacks
Anyway, you've definitely expressed your ideas and preferences effectively.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Thread seen by Matt Sheets, wonder if it will garner a reply *shrug*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom