Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Is there any info about what part are they going to stream?

I guess is not the beginning area again, covered already by the annoying stream with Jesse Cox, although with the obsession to not spoil anything story related I wouldn't be sure that they won't stream the same bits again.
they were saying defiance bay in the meeting video.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Defiance Bay or Raedric's Hold were the two places mentioned. Raedric's Hold was the area that Josh was playing on his twitter video (well, the sewer beneath it anyway).

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Defiance Bay doesn't have a sewer map IIRC. I'd have to double check. It has a catacombs though.

edit: yeah no sewer in Defiance Bay.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks guys.

Now I have about 4 hours to decide if I'm going to watch it or not. Even if main story related stuff will be omitted, I would like to discover something like Defiance Bay by myself, but I usually can't resist watching this stuff...

Sensuki

Arcane
Whatever it's going to be it will probably be filled with just as many spoilers if not more than the last one. I'm going to watch simply because I think Josh is actually playing the game for once. I've never seen him play anything before.

Athelas

Arcane
Whatever it's going to be it will probably be filled with just as many spoilers if not more than the last one. I'm going to watch simply because I think Josh is actually playing the game for once. I've never seen him play anything before.
I assume you'll be using it as the basis for a psychological profile which you'll then incorporate it in your Codex preview of PoE? :troll:

Defiance Bay doesn't have a sewer map IIRC. I'd have to double check. It has a catacombs though.

edit: yeah no sewer in Defiance Bay.
I thought they were going the BG 1-2 route of an underground sewer under the main city. Underground catacombs a la PS:T sounds a lot better to me though. :dance:

Starwars

Arcane
In one way, I really don't want to see more of the game than I already have but I won't be able to stop myself. And I hope it's Josh playing by himself this time.

They cut out the biggest story-spoilers last time so I'm sure that part of it (main story stuff) will mostly be kept hidden at least.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'll forget any spoilers by the time I play it so I'm going to watch it regardless. I just want to be excited for the game again and maybe this stream will help with that.

Hormalakh

Magister
haha...it's so sad that so many was disillusioned with the conversations that went on here.

mastroego

Arcane
Screenshots do look good.
The art team seems capable indeed.

Too bad they put the project in the hands of a madman with other interests - could have been a legitimate bearer of the IE legacy otherwise.
Sadly, I'm skipping it.

Athelas

Arcane
Too bad they put the project in the hands of a madman with other interests - could have been a legitimate successor in the IE legacy otherwise.
Not true, it will have combat on par with PS:T. ;)

:negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Athelas I'm getting curious. When you whine about the combat like that, are you being sarcastic or have you really joined the ITZ A DISASTER brigade

Athelas

Arcane
Athelas I'm getting curious. When you whine about the combat like that, are you being sarcastic or have you really joined the ITZ A DISASTER brigade
A little bit of both. I like a lot of the specifics, but at the very least, the engagement system and combat state restrictions will have to be removed from the game to bring combat to a respectable state.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Athelas

Arcane
Don't understand your beef with combat state. What are you proposing be changed?
Change it to the way it's handled in the IE games - and virtually every other real-time game. The way it plays out now is like a jRPG where combat essentially takes place in a different dimension. I don't like half my abilities/spells being restricted until I'm in the midst of combat. It also causes problems like this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ta-release-thread.93694/page-280#post-3663151

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Change it to the way it's handled in the IE games - and virtually every other real-time game. The way it plays out now is like a jRPG where combat essentially takes place in a different dimension. I don't like half my abilities/spells being restricted until I'm in the midst of combat. It also causes problems like this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ta-release-thread.93694/page-280#post-3663151

Then how do you propose "per-encounter" abilities be implemented?

(inb4 "Josh: Okay, we'll do cooldowns")

Athelas

Arcane
Then how do you propose "per-encounter" abilities be implemented?
The same way - the current system doesn't restrict everything, after all. They could remove all the restrictions except for the ones that keep track of per-encounters.

Hormalakh

Magister
I think it's a hard problem to solve but having it is shitty. This doesn't mean Josh is shitty or the game is overall shitty but it does feel a little immersun-breaking and can be frustrating when you want that one spell to go off and not being able to cast it until "combat." What I've ended up doing is shooting the first arrow to get combat to start and then casting those spells.

The combat state though has been changed. It's a lot better than a few beta versions ago. Basically, it allows you to get out of combat a lot easier and this was my main issue. The only way that combat now continues is when your solo guy gets mobbed and goes unconscious and the enemy still swarms around him. It's nice that they do that because you have to "save" your character, but some opponents also don't do that so it's a nice change of pace.

The same way - the current system doesn't restrict everything, after all. They could remove all the restrictions except for the ones that keep track of per-encounters.

The other thing they could do is to just let those spells be cast and that they only refresh at the end of a "successful" (a hard thing to define, I know) encounter. That way if you just start casting all willy-nilly, then you'll be out of casts before the encounter is over and you get a refresh.

Sensuki

Arcane
As Bester just commented to me, you can also see why the PE combat log sucks - I don't think Josh uses it. He just had it compressed into the corner.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As Bester just commented to me, you can also see why the PE combat log sucks - I don't think Josh uses it. He just had it compressed into the corner.
I thought that was for streaming purposes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom