Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah it's an overview of all of my issues with the game at the moment, doesn't go deep into issues with systems it's just an overview of all of my notes.

made

Arcane
Edit: Nice :) I have a fanboy tag. Can you also make it so that it shows I'm a PoE fanboy?
I'm sure if you post your pic someone will be kind enough to photoshop Sawyer's cock into your mouth. We're an accommodating bunch here at the Codex.

Hormalakh

Magister
You're thinking about it from the wrong angle. The Class design is rigid so the characters basically play one way and that's it. This was not the case in the IE games. Therefore despite both the Fighter and the Rogue having some abilities to use in combat, they are boring. The abilities aren't fun either.

Currently the Fighter in every fight is

IF multiple enemies TOGGLE Defender Mode
DO Knockdown x2
END

You *have* to use your Fighter as the main tank, otherwise you're not playing it properly.

In the IE games your Fighter could be the main tank, sure - they could also be played quite a few different ways in combat, such as sitting at the back as an Archer, or being the guy with Boots of Speed that beelines through the pack to hit the mage before he gets his spell off. In PE it looks like the Fighter will play the same every fight, and that is SHIT.

That's also what I hated about DAO.

Is the fighter not llowed to use a bow in PoE? What about boots of speed is that strictly a non-fighter item? Have you considered the fact that talents aren't implemented yet?

I can very easily see a "ranger" talent where you get to use bows really well. Or a "thief" or "barbarian" talent where you can "escape" to the mage.

What you haven't considered is that already you have more than what IE allowed you to do. You have modals. You have actives. You will be allowed cross-class skills with talents. And your fighters can be as versatile outside of combat as anyone else.

Try harder bud.

Last edited:

Hormalakh

Magister
A few things with petrification: I haven't played the spiders who do it so that it for a a grain of salt.

The effect of petrification should be visible.
Players should also be stunned when petrified, that or increasingly slowed (10%, 30%, 50%) for several seconds (1-3 s) with a 0.5 second stun at the end.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A few things with petrification: I haven't played the spiders who do it so that it for a a grain of salt.

Players should also be stunned when petrified, that or increasingly slowed (10%, 30%, 50%) for several seconds (1-3 s) with a 0.5 second stun at the end.

The character gets encased in a giant block of ice/crystal/rock and can't move. The problem is that the block disappears before the effect wears off (though, with the buggy pathfinding it's hard to tell sometimes whether the effect has not worn off or the game is just bugging out).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is the fighter not llowed to use a bow in PoE?
Fact that any char can use anything in PoE has nothing to do with classes. If anything, fighter's ability to grandmaster any weapon in D&D supports multiple ways of play more than what PoE fighter has for now. At least if we're talking melee fighter vs. ranged fighter.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish the topics on the Obsidian forum had developer tags or something, whenever an employee posted in one. There are too many threads to keep up with.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know this might sound crazy, but I have gotten used to the combat speed. It requires a bit of micro managing, but I don't feel like it's that big of a problem. What bothers me the most while actually fighting is seeing where my characters are. Although, I have seen your posts (Sensuki) about this on the Obs boards, and like your suggestions.

uaciaut

Augur
Given the overall hype that the codex had been giving this game i'd say that only about 90 pages worth of whining after beta release is a pretty positive indicator of the game's quality

eremita

Savant
Tim "Wildstar" Cain?

Also I can't believe you fuckers are talking positively in an UNIRONIC matter about David Fucking Gaider of all people. Take a step back and look at what you're doing Codex.

Gaider's writing utterly sucks gay dicks but there's no denying that BG2 was a great game regardless of that, and BG2 was the quintessential IE game, with a bit of PST storyfaggotry, BG1 exploration and IWD combat. It never focused on any of these things but did them well with a charm of it's own. The fact that the Codex beloved Josh Sawyer has epically failed in recreating the fun and interest that game inspired is obviously going to lead to a reevaluation of Gaider's achievement.

Hm, just wondering, what was Gaider's role for BG2? Because the only thing I can think of when someone mention Gaider is his obsession of LGBT and dicks. Kind of makes me feel sick that Gaider is associated with the BG2 (my beloved game!!).
He was one of the two key writers (other being Luke Kristjanson) and probably quests designer too (as I understand it, those positions are usually connected in Bioware games), BUT he was in no way lead designer, creative director, mind behind concepts etc. That was James Ohlen. It's his game, certainly not Gaider's. Gaider is known because he's attention whore just like Sawyer. Can't say I blame them, there's nothing wrong with that.

roshan

Arcane
How the fuck does a character shoot fire out of his hands by chanting some esoteric incantations?

And after said character has set another character on fire, how does fire go out after a few seconds without someone dumping a bucket of water on him?

Who cares? All fantasy is based on the epic, the mythic, the magical. We live in a sterilized world, where the mystery of the esoteric, the unknown and the unknowable has been virtually stamped out. Fantasy allows us to escape into a realm of wonder and possibility. Our minds crave for this. Good fantasy provides us with a some sort of reasonable framework into which the impossible becomes a temporary reality into which we can immerse ourselves and suspend disbelief. Like the Lord of the Rings. The Mahabharata. Planescape. Norse Mythology.

But the problem here is that Obsidian is taking the stuff of legends, the epic and the mythical and turning it into something that is not only utterly banal but outright silly. Not with the purpose of setting our imaginations free, into a new realm of possibility, but for BALANCE!!! and NO HARD COUNTERS!!! and NO RELOADS!!! There is nothing more absurd and ridiculous than a stone being poisoned. It's absolutely fucktarded. Heroes die in battle. They don't autoresurrect every time they are killed and quickly regenerate stamina.

roshan

Arcane

This is a very good example of Sawyerfags and what their idea of "fantasy" is. A bunch of boring, uninteresting, trivial numbers that in no way contribute to an inspiring, credible setting.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Today's suggestion: When mousing over an ability, its range should be displayed by drawing a circle around the character(See League of Legends for example). Currently it's really hard to judge the range of things that need targets(arbitrary range units don't help much). Oh and it should probably be possible to target the ground under characters with aoe spells.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

This is a very good example of Sawyerfags and what their idea of "fantasy" is. A bunch of boring, uninteresting, trivial numbers that in no way contribute to an inspiring, credible setting.

Given this response to his question, I'm assuming that you either haven't played the game to see how petrification is actually presented visually (or did not pay attention while playing) and/or did not bother to read the responses given to him as to how it is actually represented.

In regards to your other post, I completely agree with you, I just don't think the idea of a character being poisoned while petrified is so ridiculous as to warrant your hyperbolic reaction. If we are going to be literal, a petrification induced by contact with another creature would in and of itself be considered a poison.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How the fuck does a character shoot fire out of his hands by chanting some esoteric incantations?
This is the most retarded question I've read on the Codex...EVER. I mean, do you know what kind of game are you talking about?

Video is still processing the HD video, but since it's mostly audio anyway may as well paste the link now

Damn, you have pretty cool voice Sensuki. :D Great video btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom