Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Gameplay Video, Previews and Interviews

Shadenuat

Arcane
Nothing you didn't already know from day 1 (demo ends after party sees the soul event). It's just a prologue, as standard as "6 adventurers were sitting in a tavern, drinking".
spoiler
YOUR CARAVAN DESTROYED

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks really beautiful, and about as boring and generic as I imagined. It's as if they put every Infinity game into a blender and churned this shit out. And jesus H is there nothing that can make me excited about an RTwP game. I'll be playing this out of curiosity and nostalgia but I'll be surprised if I make it to the half-way mark. Shame they felt they had to pander to the BG and IWD crowd.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not really. Even if the fights required more tactics, you're still outnumbered several times and winning. Not a big problem, but I would prefer if at level 1, an armed human was more of a threat.
JES and Obsidian are extreme gamists who dngaf about simulating a world through mechanics.

I remember reading a similar complaint about the opening of Dungeon Siege III. :M

Or hell, the beginning of DA:O where a giant rat is more deadly than a group of soldiers. Gamism ftw.

AMG

Arbiter
Not really. Even if the fights required more tactics, you're still outnumbered several times and winning. Not a big problem, but I would prefer if at level 1, an armed human was more of a threat.
You are outnumbered only once during the video. But whatever. Its a tutorial area in a demonstration video of an unfinished game. You can even see the enemies through fog of war.
If there is anything to be worried about in terms of combat is the excessive micromanagement with 2 active abilities at lvl 1. I hope it doesn't ramp up.

Looks really beautiful, and about as boring and generic as I imagined. It's as if they put every Infinity game into a blender and churned this shit out. And jesus H is there nothing that can make me excited about an RTwP game. I'll be playing this out of curiosity and nostalgia but I'll be surprised if I make it to the half-way mark. Shame they felt they had to pander to the BG and IWD crowd.
A shame they delivered what they promised?

Athelas

Arcane
Bros, should I watch these gameplay videos? Are there many spoilers? I am trying to avoid as much info from the actual game as possible.
If you've managed to resist the urge to watch up til now, don't watch it. Though it's not really spoilerish: they quit right before a major spoiler would occur.

I think your entire post can be answered with this:
because it's the first 10 minutes of the game.

You mean like the Candlekeep assassins? :P

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
A shame they delivered what they promised?

Who's talking about promises? I've been lamenting the direction of Project Cliché from the get-go. This video just confirms what I expected is all.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Never thought I would say this, but IGN's video was a lot better. My impression of the combat was actually better this time, too. I guess I could follow better what was happening this time, plus Josh comments more on the the gameplay instead of bro-ing out with the Giant Bomb people.

Really looking forward to this game.

JES and Obsidian are extreme gamists who dngaf about simulating a world through mechanics.

I have nothing against a game being gamey. It's more a matter of misinformation. If I'm a low level, armed human and I'm facing a similar, low level, armed human, I expect us to be about equal in power. If we are presented as similar, but I hit more often, do more damage, and generally feel a lot more powerful, it's either designed to make me feel powerful, or it gives me the wrong idea, even from a "gamey" perspective. That said, watching a second playthrough, it didn't bother me as much, anymore. It did bother me how Calesia could fight two people at the same time without much trouble, though.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
awesome.gif

jdinatale

Cipher
I'm not trying to be rude, but if I didn't know he had a long-time girlfriend, I totally get a gay-dude vibe from Josh E. Sawyer. I mean I know he's not, but still...

DemonKing

Arcane
Looking good...I'm kind of enjoying Divinity at the moment and have already had a great time with M&MX and Blackguards this year but watching the Ign video has already convinced me this will be my favourtie game this year.

Can we finally declare that the Incline is here?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bros, should I watch these gameplay videos? Are there many spoilers? I am trying to avoid as much info from the actual game as possible.
If you've managed to resist the urge to watch up til now, don't watch it. Though it's not really spoilerish: they quit right before a major spoiler would occur.
It was more lack of time than self-restraint, but I do not want any story spoilers (and yes, I consider encounter design a story spoiler too, because I prefer not to know what awaits me combat-wise), so I think I will just wait for the game after all.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Since no one brought it up they are showing this to the press which means the version they are using is probably set to the lowest difficulty.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I hope there will be an option to toggle "disappearing corpses" on and off. I fucking hate when bodies of my enemies simply dissappear after 5-10seconds. Totally killing my IMMERSIUN. Or at least if they made it moddable :-/
Apart from that pathfinding seems to suck cock.

Other than that I have no real complaints. Looks like a worthy successor to other IE RTwP games. For a moment I thought that portraits looks like shit, but this blonde lass and 2nd NPC that joins ya got pretty nice ones.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's pretty much my feeling. The visuals are nice, but holy shit does the combat look rough. I'll probably pass on it, although I'm curious as to how the text adventure portion plays out - will it be as awesome as SR2 or will it be shit? I'm leaning toward the latter because LOLOBSHITIAN but we'll see.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What, you can't see difference between BG1 (walk out of the city, engage wolf, get crit for 10 hp, your fighter has 10 hp, rekked lol), and this - get out of caravan, left click 2 wolves (that are more of a size of a horse), kill 2 bandits (including an archer who just shot arrow after arrow into the backside of 1st level char - "glance! 0.5 hp damage"), kill more bandits, kill whole enemy party 3 on 3, kill oozes, more oozes, kill giant spiders...
All with suboptimal party of 2, then 3 characters - hurrah for regenerating hpstamina.
In IE trying to kill a bunch of enemies like that straight on with just 2-3 characters is death sentence, you had to use entangle/sleep/heal/bows/pots/oil of speed... use something.
Here NPC fighter just tanked everything that's all. "yeah you can get knocked down (fighter loses 5% hp), you can get badly beaten (fighter loses 10% hp)". :M

The combat looks so pathetically easy it's virtually automatic, like in the Dungeon Siege games.
You are a retarded piece of shit who should be banned. You don't know what are you talking about. The opening area of the IE games being hard as fuck was awful design. You can (and you should) make a hard game, but you have to design the opening a little easier, so the new players are eased into the ruleset and the game. Fuck you for turning up from nowhere (who are you anyway) and start bitching.

This game looks amazing and everybody should fellate Josh and Obsidian instead of nitpicking on small things, or just being plain retarded as this guy.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Char creation: Show us what classes/attributes/races/backrounds do in a gameplay sense. There's enough room on the right side (which otherwise looks very empty). A barbarian? Ok, what actual skills does he get? How does his progression look like? 14 int on a barbarian? Well, by how much are his AoEs increased by those 4 points? 10%, 40%, XX%? Any other benefits? Are they worth getting as opposed to whatever benefits the other attributes would have given? Etc., etc...
Read the fucking manual. All this will probably documented.

UI: Random buttons opening up...Weird. Stamina red over the portraits and HP a green line next to them. Really?
This will change as Josh said it.

Pacing: If you're kicking butt and chewing gum right from the start how will you get any sense of progression?
I will make a wild guess. The tutorial area is easier, to easy new players into the game. And it's the fucking tutorial area. It's not that they haven't said a million times that the game will be hard.

What, you can't see difference between BG1 (walk out of the city, engage wolf, get crit for 10 hp, your fighter has 10 hp, rekked lol), and this - get out of caravan, left click 2 wolves (that are more of a size of a horse), kill 2 bandits (including an archer who just shot arrow after arrow into the backside of 1st level char - "glance! 0.5 hp damage"), kill more bandits, kill whole enemy party 3 on 3, kill oozes, more oozes, kill giant spiders...
All with suboptimal party of 2, then 3 characters - hurrah for regenerating hpstamina.
In IE trying to kill a bunch of enemies like that straight on with just 2-3 characters is death sentence, you had to use entangle/sleep/heal/bows/pots/oil of speed... use something.
Here NPC fighter just tanked everything that's all. "yeah you can get knocked down (fighter loses 5% hp), you can get badly beaten (fighter loses 10% hp)". :M

The combat looks so pathetically easy it's virtually automatic, like in the Dungeon Siege games.
You are a retarded piece of shit who should be banned. You don't know what are you talking about. The opening area of the IE games being hard as fuck was awful design. You can (and you should) make a hard game, but you have to design the opening a little easier, so the new players are eased into the rulese and the game. Fuck you for turning up from nowhere (who are you anyway) and start bitching.

This game looks amazing and everybody should fellate Josh and Obsidian instead of nitpicking on small things, or just being plain retarded as this guy.
Fanboy faggot.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think I must be one of the few people who prefers low level combat in RPG's and especially D&D. I like the low level combat in BG and Icewind dale and my favorite parts of the game are from 1-6 or 7th level, after that it starts to get stupid to me. In fact I am almost the complete opposite in the games I seem to prefer of the IE variety, I liked BG1 over BG2 to the point I could not even be bothered to finish BG2 because it became so silly and too magic oriented with the constant pre-fight buffing, then the spells that counter spells and then even counter spells to counter counter spells. I hate every character on screen walking around surrounded by glowing humming globes of invulnerability combined with numerous magical energy shields combined with everybody swinging flaming swords and lightning and fire shooting out of every bodies eyes and ass.

:bro:

I didn't finish TOB for that reason, but I completed Baldur's Gate many times and still love it. PoE is going to have the same level cap, by the way. The only thing I don't like about it is the graphics. Unity is ugly, let's face it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The only thing I don't like about it is the graphics. Unity is ugly, let's face it.
Are you blind? The graphics are great. It doesn't matter if it is unity because it is preredered 3D, and the characters and effects look good from top down.

Matt is dissapointed that first enemies are wolves bandits and giant spiders, but no rats.
No, I'm dissappointed that I find so much retarded feedback in this thread.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are you blind? The graphics are great. It doesn't matter if it is unity because it is preredered 3D, and the characters and effects look good from top down.

No. I am just not an Obsidian fanboy like you. The effects are good, yes, the characters are not. Overall, it looks p. bland. I think this is Unity-related. Compare it to Dungeon Siege 3 which used Onyx. That was a beautiful game (quite boring though). I am sure PoE will be a great game, but graphics won't be one of its strongest points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom