Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Let's stop pretending that PoE is an IE games successor in more than PR terms.

It clearly was a major factor in poe's design. Obviously.
Whether it succeeded or failed, or rather whether it took the best or the worst of the IE games, is another matter.
It's not a game they made and then were like "hey let's market this as bg revival". A lot of stuff are in the game for the sole purpose of IE succession, like resting which doesn't really make any sense anymore as stated above by FreeKaner.
Even without taking into consideration the whole TB vs RT debate, if people find the combat in the IE games to be their worst aspect, which are the best? Writing definitely isn't and I wouldn't say it has a cornucopia of role-playing options.
Romances, obviously.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

7XJ5g5B.png

being ugly and having a manchin is a deep characteristic
t. sawyerist pro

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Average looking people are dime a dozen, good-looking people are rarer and more unique. It's a stupid argument in the first place. I also dislike this attractive people are unrealistic nonsense, isn't there a better way to get over your insecurities about your looks rather than trying to project them?

Sizzle

Arcane
Even without taking into consideration the whole TB vs RT debate, if people find the combat in the IE games to be their worst aspect, which are the best? Writing definitely isn't and I wouldn't say it has a cornucopia of role-playing options.

I've seen people claim (and bear in mind that they usually talk about the BG saga) that, even if they dislike the combat, they like those games for the sheer number of quests and content they offer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've seen people claim (and bear in mind that they usually talk about the BG saga) that, even if they dislike the combat, they like those games for the sheer number of quests and content they offer.

A lot of content and quests in a combat-heavy game you don't enjoy sounds like literally hell. Why would you do that to yourself? The hiking simulators that are the Elder Scrolls games have a lot of content, but I don't play them because I hate the general gameplay. I don't even play New Vegas because I despise the general gameplay, let alone anything else. Seems weird to me, I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's often claimed that many people play RPGs as "content grinders with light character management" without actually enjoying the core gameplay very much.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Alpha Protocol and VtMB aren't very combat-heavy, they can be played in multiple ways and the other parts are better than the combat, while I wouldn't say BG or IWD's non-combat aspects are that good. New Vegas is combat-heavy and there's no other way to play it other than a T/FPS.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't get why you're so snarky.
Do you really consider josh sawyer to be the kind of guy who would hide behind rationalizing his decisions rather than address the issues ? Are we talking about the dude who felt like remaking his whole game systems after ungrateful cunts like us analyzed all its shortcomings (and rightfully so) ?
I don't understand and it pisses me off so much. I'm all for ruthlessly criticizing crpgs, especially from companies that are supposed to be veterans by now, and I did so at release for poe which I deemed shit (context taken into consideration).
But there's really no reason for an actual grog to be so negative about deadfire right now. I don't even understand what obs and/or sawyer did or said that make people react negatively to anything they do. (No, really, I would like to know if someone could fill me in).
I'm not saying we should be positive cunts in an echo chamber of bliss, but comments like "rather rationalizing than addresing the problem" makes me fucking angry.
Like, literaly, when they work on attributes it's "well there's only one month left lmao, quit this autistic tuning sawyer you retardo", and when they sit on their decision "the fuck, these lazy assholes don't address the blatant issue ?"
Do you even realize how caricatural you read ?

The cross he carries is carved by himself, by trying to mold an inherently grognard system like D&D to fit normies
The dude has seen his company lay a shit ton of people off after making New Vegas in a way that would please fans after the horrendous fallout 3.
He even saw himself be said that he'd be laid off if his game didn't work, a game about stuff he doesn't like (elves and shit) based on games with so dedicated fans that they even reacted to the shape of the mouse cursor in the poe beta. Will you really give this guy shit for trying to make games that haven't been released in two decades in a way that doesn't involve googling "why does the greater mummy feel nothing ???!" for every encounter ? Don't you guys have a bit of humanity left inside of you ? Is it all rotten ?

I'm such a pissed off fanboy storyfag :negative:
May this game get released already, so I can get closure over realizing that I've been let down yet again with some shit ass writing and under-used systems and mechanics.
I wouldn't worry too much. People tend judge others by their actions, but judge themselves by their intent. Plus, we are talking about RPG combat and rules. It's never going to equal an RTS in terms of interaction or mechanical depth.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Combat is the worst part of the IE games, is someone's or even many people's opinion.

It's easy to look with disdain at the wide-eyed scrubs, clicking, pausing, discovering simple tactics to hard counter some spell that makes their party run around uncontrollable...

But you know what's puzzling? If those scrubs are contemptible, what can be said about the scrubs who maintain that playing samey (compared to AD&D2) classes in a clusterfuck of X.Xs duration of actions/active effects, each with their set of obligatory "spells" to click and cast, is soo much more fun and somehow better?

I suppose if one group is entitled to its opinion, so should be the other.

I'm temporarily banning myself from this thread. See you here in exactly one month.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, there is a middle ground. RPG combat does not have to suck, but I don’t expect Broodwar or Warcraft 2&3 level interaction. I would argue IE games just tried to port D&D into a video game setting, but I am no expert.

Some games can be good in spite of bad combat (Planescape Torment).

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Combat is the worst part of the IE games, is someone's or even many people's opinion.

It's easy to look with disdain at the wide-eyed scrubs, clicking, pausing, discovering simple tactics to hard counter some spell that makes their party run around uncontrollable...

But you know what's puzzling? If those scrubs are contemptible, what can be said about the scrubs who maintain that playing samey (compared to AD&D2) classes in a clusterfuck of X.Xs duration of actions/active effects, each with their set of obligatory "spells" to click and cast, is soo much more fun and somehow better?

I suppose if one group is entitled to its opinion, so should be the other.

I'm temporarily banning myself from this thread. See you here in exactly one month.

I don't think pillars combat is particular better a game, I just think it attempts at something better by not trying to apply AD&D rules in a round system in a real time combat. The success is questionable but at least the aim is better.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I'd remake all the portraits by adding realistic malformations and rant about the industry's tendancy to make their characters too beautiful, pointing at deadfire official art.
But I have 0 knowledge of photoshop, and therefore all the great occasions to troll are down the trash can.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Seriously though, the in-game Xoti looks completely bland. Where are people seeing the personality?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom