Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ushas

Savant
Looks cool on the map

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2Fb252d3a3acf4e372%2Fe45f0cb3f91160bc%2Fcda9add56588987e%2F34600044f9143c2b

I don't understand why they didn't post the city map in bigger resolution. We can see the better picture in the video:

Neketaka.png
Notice the right top corner - perhaps that info will fill up gradually as we explore Neketaka. Also, is it possible, that the population, it's composition, import / export lists, and the type of government will change during the playthrough? (narrative reasons, power playing of factions, etc...)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Neketaka looks amazing, not sure what's the point of sidekicks though. Seems like it will just create confusion.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That right top info on the map gave me impression that the city will be our stronghold and the city will change as the player build or change something.

aeonsim

Augur
JS on Somethingaweful: Adventurer portraits and voice sets cover a broad spectrum of basic appearances and broad archetypes. Sidekicks are specific characters with unique portraits, voice sets, and incorporation into the story that are intended to be more colorful than the general characters you can make as adventurers.

He also gives Minsc in BG2 as an example of a sidekick, so while they probably won't manage to create Minsc v2 (for personality and fun), that gives you more of an idea as to what they're aiming for with the sidekicks. No major quest (aside from recruiting them) but dialog, unique voice and art and occasional comments and interactions...

Sounds excellent to me!

aeonsim

Augur
To give a few examples of actual cliff cities facing the ocean:

Italian-City9.jpg

You see how no one builds at the lowest levels of the cliff, while the construction in the painting extends literally into the water.

What makes it worse is that the painting shows a sheer, vertical cliff, with no visible surf area, water deep enough to be a port, and wind strong enough to power sails. In such a situation, the walls of the cliff would receive the full force of a breaking wave, which would flood the lower sections of the city. But likely, over time it'd destroy the architecture itself through a combination of erosion and physical force. Of course, in fantasy you can always say it's magic, but in that case you could also ask, why would anyone bother using magic when they could've just built the city a little better, to begin with.

Amalfi is another example, though they don't go as high up the cliffs.

Turjan

Arcane
You see how no one builds at the lowest levels of the cliff, while the construction in the painting extends literally into the water.

What makes it worse is that the painting shows a sheer, vertical cliff, with no visible surf area, water deep enough to be a port, and wind strong enough to power sails. In such a situation, the walls of the cliff would receive the full force of a breaking wave, which would flood the lower sections of the city. But likely, over time it'd destroy the architecture itself through a combination of erosion and physical force. Of course, in fantasy you can always say it's magic, but in that case you could also ask, why would anyone bother using magic when they could've just built the city a little better, to begin with.
Over time? Most fantasy cities with harbors wouldn't survive the first storm.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not thrilled about side kicks, to be honest.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2Fd4fa69cd78b5e5f5f6975cf35dce6fc8e9787f11%2Foriginal.png%3F1439917264

Feargus
DEVELOPER

@Shadout - The sidekicks will have a certain amount of dialog and VO. They will respond to some things going on in the world, and they will probably have some banter with the other companions. It will just be more limited as compared to the full companions.

idekicks sound fun. As I see it:
-Companions (BG2 party members)
-Sidekicks (BG1 party members)
So it let's you determine for yourself how in depth your companion content is.
Feb 17, 2017 | 10:44 PM

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2Fd4fa69cd78b5e5f5f6975cf35dce6fc8e9787f11%2Foriginal.png%3F1439917264

Feargus
DEVELOPER

That was the thought!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How long will the Tyranny coupon be good for? Does it have an expiration date?

Feargus
DEVELOPER

It is going to be good for 90 days.

Feargus
DEVELOPER

@Schwarz - My apologies, but the coupon is only going to be for Steam.

Feargus
DEVELOPER

You will be able to redeem the coupon on Paradox's site (Paradox Plaza) and that will get you a Steam code.

FWIW I really REALLY dislike time-of-day features. They don't add anything to the game except an annoyance mechanism. It just means I rest until the person is there.

brennecke
DEVELOPER

There are quests that can change depending on the time of day that you do them. We are trying to avoid the wait/rest until the person arrives types of game play, because we agree, it's just an annoyance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom