Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kaivokz

Arcane
That sounds cool, but why does Josh use that dialect? Makes him sound like he plugs his thoughts into an algorithm designed to emulate how a 15 yr old girl would talk. tfw the AI in my naval ship combat simulator outsmarts me #blessed

Just me? To each their own I guess...

Iznaliu

Arbiter
That sounds cool, but why does Josh use that dialect? Makes him sound like he plugs his thoughts into an algorithm designed to emulate how a 15 yr old girl would talk. tfw the AI in my naval ship combat simulator outsmarts me #blessed

Just me? To each their own I guess...

Because he has surrounded himself with hipsters?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

None of those are actual #deadfire blog post titles, but... sounds like we might have incoming soon?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cannons in a game with magic LOL

You know there were GUNS in the first game right? Wtf
WTF yourself. One Fireball can basically disable a ship due to its AoE, cannon balls were not that effective.
And yea Guns also suck in killing enemy troops when compared to Fireballs. Not to mention they made guns fire even faster than they should have.
How is a fireball more damaging to a ship than a cannonball that can destroy parts that are necessary for it to move in an instant? Fire takes time to work through wood

ArchAngel

Arcane

WTF yourself. One Fireball can basically disable a ship due to its AoE, cannon balls were not that effective.
And yea Guns also suck in killing enemy troops when compared to Fireballs. Not to mention they made guns fire even faster than they should have.
How is a fireball more damaging to a ship than a cannonball that can destroy parts that are necessary for it to move in an instant? Fire takes time to work through wood
Fireball is a concussive blast, it is not a lantern that you throw for fire to start burning. it has a big AoE and kills groups of sailors as well and other things. It can hit what place caster wants, not randomly in general direction you fire it at and so on and on and on. Cannon balls hit small area and take more than a few shots to hit what you want. It is what you use if your ship does not have a fire mage but in a world with so much magic it should not be that popular over mages.

Prime Junta

In Pillars, fireballs have a range of 10 metres. Don't you think that would limit their tactical utility in naval combat somewhat?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Fireball is a concussive blast, it is not a lantern that you throw for fire to start burning. it has a big AoE and kills groups of sailors as well and other things. It can hit what place caster wants, not randomly in general direction you fire it at and so on and on and on. Cannon balls hit small area and take more than a few shots to hit what you want. It is what you use if your ship does not have a fire mage but in a world with so much magic it should not be that popular over mages.

Next you will tell me that you can mass-produce battle-mages like you can cannons. And that every ship has one.

ArchAngel

Arcane

In Pillars, fireballs have a range of 10 metres. Don't you think that would limit their tactical utility in naval combat somewhat?
That is only for the dungeon combat scenarios (or Balance(tm). I see no reason for them to have such a limit if we are talking about that world and how magic can be applied there.
In D&D Fireballs have 100+ m range but in games they are also about 20m or less (about edge of visible screen for the caster)

ArchAngel

Arcane

Next you will tell me that you can mass-produce battle-mages like you can cannons. And that every ship has one.
Every ship only needs one. And they can end enemy ship with their first spell. Unlike cannon battles that can last for a while. Not to mention you need to align ships to fire cannons with affects your speed, positioning and the rest. Mage can fireball enemy ship from any angle.
As I said, cannons in a world with mages. LOL

Sizzle

Arcane

You can easily multi-class into one :D

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok since we are getting nerdy let's see what the desription of the fireball is in PoE:
Summons a flaming ball of molten earth that explodes at a targeted location, causing Burn damage to all in the area of effect.

From that description I have no idea how you come to this:
Fireball is a concussive blast, it is not a lantern that you throw for fire to start burning. it has a big AoE and kills groups of sailors as well and other things. It can hit what place caster wants, not randomly in general direction you fire it at and so on and on and on

It's basically a lava ball that explodes and BURNS everything around it. It does not do a "concussive blast" and also in-game it never killed groups of enemies to be honest, not even Xaurips let alone "sailors"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom