Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #61: Patch 5.0

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
is this game good? I really did not enjoy PoE1 mostly because the system they designed. If it had been D&D I would have enjoyed it. Does turn based make it better? Anybody else who did not enjoy the game due to how the rules were designed but now finds it enjoyable? The game looks visually appealing and I enjoyed sawyers icewind dale games..but could not get into PoE1.....opinions?

It is literally the best game you will ever play in your entire life!

shitposter.png

is this game good? I really did not enjoy PoE1 mostly because the system they designed. If it had been D&D I would have enjoyed it. Does turn based make it better? Anybody else who did not enjoy the game due to how the rules were designed but now finds it enjoyable? The game looks visually appealing and I enjoyed sawyers icewind dale games..but could not get into PoE1.....opinions?

well then no point in playing it then. can only be disappointing with expectations like that.

But PoE was not fun to me because it felt like you could make random character build choices and they would work almost as well as anything else, and for some reason the itemization in the game where it was like "adds 4% to a friendly characters third fire based attacked 16% of the time" seemed to suck the life out of the game world for me..I don't know..I played it early and did not really try it again later so maybe its better now

Diggfinger

Arcane

well then no point in playing it then. can only be disappointing with expectations like that.

But PoE was not fun to me because it felt like you could make random character build choices and they would work almost as well as anything else, and for some reason the itemization in the game where it was like "adds 4% to a friendly characters third fire based attacked 16% of the time" seemed to suck the life out of the game world for me..I don't know..I played it early and did not really try it again later so maybe its better now

According to the official RPG Codex review..."it's pretty alright"
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10984

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Roxor's review is outdated since he only played vanilla. So much new content and features have been added since then, including three mid-game expansions, that I think it deserves a second codex review. Even if just for the turn based mode alone.

I got a copy of PoE 2 for free, and the expansions for dirt cheap. This may move up my backlog priority list.

Possibly.

The awful and boring system design of the first game has left a repellent sensation that lingers still.

Drowed

Arcane
Today is the one year anniversary of the game's release, an appropriate date for its last major update. In addition to the finalized turn-based mode and new ship combat UI, Patch 5.0 includes substantial content changes - namely, additional dialogue with Eothas and Woedica written to address criticisms of the game's storyline, and a relocation of certain quest items to make the Anarchist path longer and more challenging.

Ok Sawyer, now I'll try your shit again. Also, because of turn-based combat, for sure. Fool me once, shame on you. I hope I'm not being fooled again.

:bunkertime:

Dr Schultz

Augur
Any feedback about the final TB mode? Finished the game once, vanilla version. Is it worth another playthrough?

If you are feeling the urge, and want to do a playthrough with the DLC anyway, I would say it's definitely worth at least trying on turn-based mode. You could always start a new game, try the first island out with turn-based, then decide if you wanted to go further from there.

I personally really enjoy the TB system, particularly with PotD and Woedica's Challenge enabled, which turns all per-encounter spells and abilities into per-rest and removes health regeneration when out of combat. The TB is a bit rough around the edges, and would have definitely benefited from being action point based rather than movement -> attack/ability/consumable based. But the thing is, it's still fun, and it's still an improvement over the RtwP according to my personal preferences. Encounters, contrary to the predictions of many around here, work well in TB mode despite being initially designed with RtwP in mind. And for me, they've simply been more fun and engaging.

Say what you will about PoE II, but they've worked a lot past its official release to add a lot of nice things that take into consideration player feedback. I had fun with it and liked it at release, but these implementations and improvements really make the game shine now.

Thanks,

I will give it a try.

I'm honoring the occasion of the games finalization by doing my first post here, and I'm going to bring up an issue about POE 2 that nobody here, in Steam reviews, browsing Metacritic ,or pretty much anywhere on the internet has, and it's pretty surprising to me.

I have put in nearly 100 hours with the turn-based mode, and enjoyed the combat, but now I can't play anymore, I can't take anymore !

Here's the issue:

PILLARS OF ETERNITY 2 HAS THE WORST VOICE-ACTING AND CHARACTER DIALOGUE OF ANY GAME I HAVE PLAYED

Not referring so much to the party members, but the NPC's you encounter--Kings, Queens, Rulers---these are supposed to be smart people, why do they talk in this phony fortune-cookie-similies-metaphor BULLSHIT ?

Smart people don't talk like this, and if we're supposed to believe these rulers are not speaking in their native language---nobody in the real world does this. Clarity is key, not trying to sound all poetic and oh-so-clever.

And they all sound the same.

And their voice-acting ! Many of the actors sound so bland, they have a flat verbal affect, as if they are on antidepressants.

And it really hits home with the games I've been playing since-- THIS IS THE MOST HUMORLESS AND PERSONALITY-LESS GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED, and I was getting depressed.

If the trend continues, I won't be buying any more Obsidian games.

There's some fun here, but that crap ruined it for me....

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
There's no way they can prevent people from cheating.

Tigranes

Arcane
Honestly, whatever you thought of the game at release, it's pretty amazing the amount of post-release incline they have given to it. Doesn't make the game great if you thought it was rubbish of course, but imagine if Arcanum or KOTOR2 were able to get half this amount of post-release attention. So that's a big kudos to them.

I doubt story changes can do much more than band-aid, but turn-based & god challenges have been a cool set of additions.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Each expansion caters to a different type of fag, and does it well.

Beast of Winter was made for the storyfags that were let down by the main quest. It's a 6-8 hour epic power fantasy jampacked with cutscenes, lore, and puzzles. The encounter design is shit, but there's at least one great boss fight.

Seeker, Slayer, Survivor was made for the hardcore combatfags that play on PoTD and found the endgame challenge lacking. It offers the best encounter design in the series, but has barely any story or exploration. It took me about 11 hours to finish including all the optional fights.

Forgotten Sanctum was made for the dungeonfags that were upset by the lack of an Od Nua equivalent in the base game. It adds a huge 13 level megadungeon called the Temple of Revelation, which is better designed than Od Nua in every way. The story is pretty good, and even gives you a secret ending to the main storyline.

If I had to recommend just one, it would be The Forgotten Sanctum. It's the most creative, challenging, and content rich of the three expansions, and I would easily rank it among the best content Obsidian has ever done.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Everyone's surprised about the continued support, but there might be a good reason for it, one not related to sales.

I think the TB mode is a test to gauge the player base's interest, and a way to implement it in the Pillars engine and refine it while there isn't too much expectations about it and the game's success doesn't rely on it.

One could be cautiously optimistic and expect a TB game next, in the same engine. Unless they want to stick with the dual combat systems and have the encounter design not tailored to one of them in consequence.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The opinions of edgelords aside, it is a great engine and their graphics guys actually know what they are doing - in contrast to another recently bought Microsoft subsidiary.

In fact, if Sawyer ever decides to do his Darklands TB-game, it could be done in the same engine now.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I think the TB mode is a test to gauge the player base's interest
No chance. Most people who bought pillars will never launch it again, cause the hype is long gone, TB or no TB.
You don't need everyone to launch the game to see how the new mode's received by those who do.
You could use telemetry while shipping a title with both modes. Otherwise, how the hell do you measure its reception by the general audience? People who still play poe2 aren't representative of the general masses.

In fact, if Sawyer ever decides to do his Darklands TB-game, it could be done in the same engine now.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Deeply depends on how good the architecture of their engine is, i.e. how tightly coupled or decoupled its systems are.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Deeply depends on how good the architecture of their engine is.

After three games in the same engine (and now a TB mode in it), I think it's pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom