Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Trashos

Arcane
Any broken and bitter loser who would totally take revenge if only he had the means can relate, and that's why Irenicus is so likable.

That would explain his popularity in these parts, I suppose.

There is another angle I 'd like to add. Irenicus had the ambition to be God, and he was told "Your place in life is not to be a God". So Irenicus is a man held down by society, frustrated that he is not allowed to pursue his ambitions.

My favorite RPG villain, all around.

EDIT: Also, constrast Irenicus' situation with the Bhaalspawn's situation. The Bhaalspawn inherited a throne, he inherited Godhood. Who's more likeable now?

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Any broken and bitter loser who would totally take revenge if only he had the means can relate, and that's why Irenicus is so likable.

That would explain his popularity in these parts, I suppose.

There is another angle I 'd like to add. Irenicus had the ambition to be God, and he was told "Your place in life is not to be a God". So Irenicus is a man held down by society, frustrated that he is not allowed to pursue his ambitions.

My favorite RPG villain, all around.

EDIT: Also, constrast Irenicus' situation with the Bhaalspawn's situation. The Bhaalspawn inherited a throne, he inherited Godhood. Who's more likeable now?
More like he inherited a claim to that throne and had to fight for it, but in the context of a computer game winning is taken for granted.

Trashos

Arcane
More like he inherited a claim to that throne and had to fight for it, but in the context of a computer game winning is taken for granted.

All true. Still, the victory of the Bhaalspawn over Irenicus in the finale of SoA is by all accounts the victory of Birthright over the Ambition of the self-made man.

"....and to end like THIS?"

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

All true. Still, the victory of the Bhaalspawn over Irenicus in the finale of SoA is by all accounts the victory of Birthright over the Ambition of the self-made man.

"....and to end like THIS?"
Traditionalism for the win! Fuck social justice and social mobility!

Neanderthal

Arcane
Oi, man tried to kill a lot o fuckin Elves, deserves respect for that if nowt else. Even if e were once a tree hugging pansy imsen.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm, is "Hunter's favor" broken?
I rescued the Winter Wolf, and when I was in the Wolf cave I reached out for the "Wolf"s soul. Then I backed away.

No I'm supposed to find the totem at the hollow log (in the abandoned hunters camp, at least that's what I read), but can't click at the log.

Is this broken, or can I do anything to finish this quest the peaceful way?
Have you tried to

speak to his father before going to the camp? I know you can ask him about the totem, maybe the cache isn't there or requires an insane amount of mechanic until you talk to him?
Hmm, I spoke to the guy again now, but it changed nothing. I still can't click on it.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did you go to the shrine in the north east part of the woods? There's a vision you get there that you may need to see first.

Prime Junta

Damnit but I like this soundtrack. Been hearing it a quite a lot by now and only very few of the pieces have started to grate.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Encampment theme (the one they uploaded to Youtube recently) really reminds me of Jeremy Soule's Neverwinter Nights soundtrack. It's almost interchangeable with a track like this one:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, hey:

CdH4EroUsAAYIaJ.jpg:large

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian 2h2 hours ago
New achievements in #PillarsofEternity are on their way. Good luck!

He wasn't joking! https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/706977469945880576

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK yeah, just got to the White March music on soundcloud, so yeah it is the entire PoE and the expansions soundtrack. Good stuff <3

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
OK yeah, just got to the White March music on soundcloud, so yeah it is the entire PoE and the expansions soundtrack. Good stuff <3

Yes, I think the base game music was alreay good but White mrch's soundtrack is even better. It's just the combat music I don't like so much, but i rarely do.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did you go to the shrine in the north east part of the woods? There's a vision you get there that you may need to see first.
Yepp, I was there and had the vision.
Are you scouting + have a party member with decent mechanics (around 8 in the unscaled version has worked for me)? That's the only thing I can think of. Both times I've done it have been shrine vision > Cave vision (back away) > abandoned camp > HIDDEN OBJECT FOUND (Purple area appears for me to click on).

Otherwise, give it up as bugged I suppose.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

Pillars of Eternity was a crowfunded game inspired by A/D&D classics like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment. To stay true to backers' expectations, one of their early constraints was a classic six attribute spread - a constraint that doesn't always play well with different classes and character concepts. In the classic games, it was easy to build a non-viable character - even if the player didn't realize it until they were 10 hours deep. Conversely, in Pillars of Eternity, the team often deviated too far from convention for player tastes. This talk will explore the specific RPG mechanic as it was in the classic games, as they developed it through the Pillars of Eternity beta, and how they continued to use player feedback to tune it post-launch. The talk will also take a look back across the project as a whole to see how the design of attributes influenced other game systems and the player experience in the long run.

Reminder - this is next week.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
So here's something funny:

Noobers Revenge: A Level 1 Solo Challenge

Everyone in town used to throw rocks at me and tell me I was annoying. I once knew this guy named Dilby. He threw rocks at me too. Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

After countless deaths caused by impatient adventures Noobers soul vanished from the realms of Baldurs Gate only to appear in Pillars of Eternity. How this could happen is still a mystery but Noobers current aims are clear and simple: He wants to be an adventurer too - help him to survive!

Noober – as the name already indicates – is a noob in its truest form. This means:
  1. He is stuck at Level 1 forever and will never go up.

2. All monsters he faces will get furious so PotD only.

3. Because of his nerve-racking personality he has to play solo.
Gee, you sure are patient.I´ve run out of things to say.

He took a Ranger and is about to finish the game. Apparently hitting enemies isn't actually that big of a problem. Item and equipment Accuracy buffs are good enough.

AwesomeButton

Patron
So here's something funny:

Noobers Revenge: A Level 1 Solo Challenge

Everyone in town used to throw rocks at me and tell me I was annoying. I once knew this guy named Dilby. He threw rocks at me too. Are you gonna throw rocks at me? What about now?

After countless deaths caused by impatient adventures Noobers soul vanished from the realms of Baldurs Gate only to appear in Pillars of Eternity. How this could happen is still a mystery but Noobers current aims are clear and simple: He wants to be an adventurer too - help him to survive!

Noober – as the name already indicates – is a noob in its truest form. This means:
  1. He is stuck at Level 1 forever and will never go up.

2. All monsters he faces will get furious so PotD only.

3. Because of his nerve-racking personality he has to play solo.
Gee, you sure are patient.I´ve run out of things to say.

He took a Ranger and is about to finish the game. Apparently hitting enemies isn't actually that big of a problem. Item and equipment Accuracy buffs are good enough.
So the whole rpg ruleset is optional functionality in this rpg. :lol:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you kidding? That must have taken dedication....and a lot of time.

Edit: How the hell is he going to beat Thaos? I do not remember there being too much room to kite, granted the area is circular. Moreover, Thaos casts Cleansing Flame from time to time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom