Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr double checks his surroundings looking for anyone or anything amiss. He then makes sure his box is secure, readies his equipment for a fight, and carefully goes to investigate the commotion.

Are there any windows to look out? I'd like to get a good picture of what's going on before heading outside.

Nope, no glass windows. There are windows, but they are shuttered and typically only open during the hot summer months for ventilation.

nikolokolus

Arcane
With very little light to guide them, Borric, Marcán and Ker pad along about 30 yards along the muddy track that leads to the stables adjacent to the longhouse. As you approach the door you all notice that it is slightly ajar and a large "lump" is lying across the threshold; from five feet away its hard to tell what it is - a large sack, a man? You can hear nervous whinnies and snorts come from the interior of the stable and the distinctive tang of spilt blood hangs in the air.

Meanwhile, the other companions standing just outside the longhouse's front door hear the shouting from the river increase in pitch. The dense fog and the intervening bank muffle most of what you hear, but after a few moments you all clearly make out a single strident voice, in a distinct Illyrian accent, that says, "Where in the fuck is Zelkor?!"

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
You grope around in the dark and find a small stone near your feet. *Thud* You throw it and it bounces off of the "lump" - it doesn't stir, and it doesn't make any noise. As you peer intently into the near pitch dark of the stable door, you notice an almost black "patch" surrounding the lump. "Gods it's dark!" You think to yourself.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ok, 4 of you are at the stables. I'm outside the longhouse. Where's Heron?

Rhenmyr tries to remain hidden in the mist and sneaks toward the commotion at the river. "Where is Zelkor?" he thinks, "Where is anyone?"

bert

Arcane
Anything I need to do? If not I'm going to keep heading to the stables.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Heron rises quietly from underneath his sleeping furs, gathers his pack and makes his way as quietly as he can out of the longhouse. If he sees and recognises Rhenmyr he will greet him with a silent nod, and head towards the commotion towards the river.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'll try to tackle each person's actions and establish where everyone is at. Let me know if miss something:

Marcan, Borric, Ker and Sokrates are all clustered around the door near the stables. Heron and Rhenmyr emerge from the Longhouse and greet one another right about the time all of the shouting near the docks starts.

At the Stables ... After about a minute of striking flint and tinder, Ker finally manages to get a small flame going that he uses to light his lantern. As the light springs to life and illuminates your surroundings you instantly notice that the "lump" laying half-way inside the stable door is most definitely a body laying face-down in the muddy straw. A huge gaping wound runs diagonally across his back from his neck to his waist. Judging from the girth and size of the body you have almost no doubt that it's the fat ferryman Zelkor.

Meanwhile ... Heron and Rhenmyr crouch low and edge close to the crest of the river bank and peer down into the fog towards the dock and the sound of all the shouting. There are two men standing on the dock with their backs to you that are illuminated by a lantern, held aloft by a figure standing in the bow of a rowboat about ten feet away from the dock. You can also make out two rowers and a man at the stern manning a tiller. One of the men on the dock has his arms raised plaintively as the man with the lantern gestures angrily and shouts, "Look here, you gods damned sons of whores. I'm not going to ask you again; where in name of Bel is Zelkor? We only deal with Zelkor, not the likes of you scum. This wasn't part of the deal." The man on the dock with his arms raised replies, "Look friend, the situation has changed, just dump the package on the dock. You're being well compensated ... and would you please keep your voice down?"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Hmm. What's do you make of this, Heron? Smugglers, you think?" Rhenmyr whispers. "If things get ugly down there, should we help. If so, which side?"

Can we recognize the two men with their back turned? Do they look like the men who joined the Hyperborean?

Rhenmyr stays alert for anyone approaching from the darkness.

nikolokolus

Arcane
In reply to Grimgravy: In the dense fog it's hard to tell, especially since both of their backs are too you and the only illumination is being cast on their faces. FYI, you are about 30 yards away from where they are standing on the short pier.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"By the horns of Cernunnos! Zelkor!"
Ker look around with his lantern for any sign of the aggressor or ruckus, then get closer to him.
"...There is nothing I can do for him, no one could survive such a wound. Marcan, we have to raise the alarm."
Ker try to see if something seems out of place, like some note or anything, but will not move the body.
"...Could this have been Socratiz's doing?"

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
"Smugglers, aye." Heron whispers to Rhenmyr, "If things go badly I may be able to pacify them all, we could sort them all out from there. If there's more out there though... well I wouldn't be much aid after that. Let's see how things play out for now"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"It would be ideal if we could subdue them all. Sadly, I'm not lucky enough for there to be no more of them." whispered Rhenmyr in reply. "You're right, best to wait and watch."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Heron and Rhenmyr watch events unfold on the dock with bated breath. The man in the bow seems to calm down a little (or at the least he's stopped shouting) and things go very still, with only the sound of the creaking dock or the occasional slap of an oar breaking the silence. Perhaps thirty seconds pass before the man standing in the bow turns and makes a gesture, the oarsmen dip their oars and the boat comes into the dock with a heavy thud. Then men in the boat move about as the two figures on the dock stand impassively. Silently. After a few more moments the two oarsmen lift a bundle maybe five or six feet long and dump it unceremoniously on the pier. One of the dockside men tosses what looks like a pouch at the lantern bearer in the boat, "pleasure doing business with you mate." The lantern bearer snarls back, "Fuck you." He then motions to the rowers and the boat pulls away from the dock and slips noiselessly into the fog.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Everyone roll for surprise on a d6 (Heron and Rhenmyr are only surprised on a 1 because Rhenmyr is a Ranger, the people near the stable are too far away to take advantage of his heightened senses).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom