Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Yes, let's collect what we have found a be away from this place. I think fire is an appropriate cleanser for these foul abominations. I will pray for poor Sancho, but first let me see what I can do about that arm. As Christ healed the sick and unwell, so I pray for our brother Vincent." Ganelon casts cure light wounds on Vincent's arm. He then prays for Sancho, and finaly copies the Greek scrawl while the others gather the loot.
Let's burn our enemies and take our dead with us and head back to town. Please do any rolling needed for the spell.

nikolokolus

Arcane
As Madeline expresses her anguish as only a trained actress can (whether feigned or real, it's impossible to tell). She stands outside the room and walks a few paces east before throwing her hand out dramatically along the northern wall for support. Her fingers serendipitously come to rest on a small stone block that just happens to stand a bit proud of its neighbors. it slides inward about a finger's length and there is a loud grinding noise as the wall gives way and pivots inward.
"Luckier than a dog with two dicks," as my best friend's Dad used to say . . . the funny thing is that there actually was a secret door right there.
k9Z88bc.png
Maddie peers into the long narrow chamber between the two rooms and sees a small chest sitting on the ground at the very back of the room.
qY29GKQ.png

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ganelon lays hands upon Vincent and calls upon the power of Jesus Christ to heal his companion. At the end of the prayer he removes his hand from the wound and miraculously the cuts are knitted together and there is no more bleeding . . . however the black pustules persist.

L'ennui

Magister
Guillemin starts stripping Sancho of his lantern oil, intending to use it to burn the evil corpses. He puts this task aside when he hears the nearby noise of the secret passage opening, and joins Maddie in the hallway. "Never a dull moment, huh, Madame? Vincent, think you can wait a few minutes while we check this out?"

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After having given Madeline a brief, disdainful glimpse, she adresses the rest of the party, "So, which one of you brave men is willing to take one final risk before our departure?"

As if answering her own question, she approaches the chest, kneels down next to it, and without touching it, she focuses on her acoustic and olfactoric senses. Does the chest emit some strange noises, or funny smells?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Daphne can detect no olfactory or auditory anomalies. The room is damp and musty and the stone coffer box is coated in sheen of dampness that catches the light. The lid is also made of stone and it doesn't appear to be hinged.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Vincent thanks the cleric for his ministrations and if only to distract himself from the remaining blemish on his arm approaches the stone box.

"Join in me lifting this lid, Barbarian?"

SoupNazi

Madeline atands back from the newly exposed room; perhaps she wants nothing to do with the potential dangers, or perhaps she really is too distraught after the loss of her lapdog.

Either way, she asks, nigh begs, Vandal, Vincent and Ganelon to carry Sancho's lifeless body outside - and from the first time since anyone present has ever met her, she offers to carry their burdens so that they are able to help carry the remains of her "burden" out of this godforsaken place.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

nikolokolus

Arcane
It's not lost on anyone that the silvered dagger that Daphne used on the foul undead things is laying in the room with the bier and the two skulls.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
It's not lost on anyone that the silvered dagger that Daphne used on the foul undead things is laying in the room with the bier and the two skulls.

if Daphne doesn't want it Vincent will grab it and place it in his pack.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Undoubtedly spiteful is the expression on her face when she uses the rag to wrap the accursed dagger's handle and put it back into its sheath.
I'm not too keen on fighting with it, but since it is our only magical weapon it seems, it would be unwise to not use it. So if anyone, preferrably of lawful alignment, is willing to wield it, I'll pass it on. Otherwise, I keep it and accept the occasional blistered hand

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron

if Daphne doesn't want it Vincent will grab it and place it in his pack.
Snorkack maybe I misread your intent? I thought you had dropped it and walked away from it
Okay, I get why the above might read ambiguous without context. I wrote earlier that Daphne attaches the sheath to her belt, where it presumably still is.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
I'm lawful and would use it as a backup weapon. (Could drop fauchard when fighting silver weak enemies)

Daphne's call.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Cool, Dagger's your problem now ;)

Also, it is just my unconfirmed assumption that the weapon is racist towards chaotic characters.

Nice, I can't wait to throw it into melee.

Also if anyone wants it as their primary feel free to take it instead.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
So far it sounds like Vincent wants somebody to help him lift the lid? FWIW, it seems like it's light enough that one person of average strength could pry it off with a prybar, or with an open doors roll
Do I take you want to douse them with oil and set them on fire down here?, otherwise it seems reasonable that you could hoist them up with the block and tackle to the barrow mound, but it will take some time. No matter if down here or up top, it will take one flask of oil per body to "incinerate" them.
Assuming Madeline gets help with the body, it's no great feat to hoist it to the top; a couple of minutes to tie off a rope and lift him out. Also he was carrying equipment worth 14 points of encumbrance
I'm assuming that the coins in the secret room that Daphne found are being "liberated" from their former owner and taken topside, and that no more of the alcoves in the easternmost room are being searched for now?

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Crowbar for opening the chest is fine as long as it can be done fairly silently. Was thinking two men could lift and place the lid on on the floor quietly.

We shouldn't risk any more big noises.

Propose we help ourselves to this chest, grab any other bags of coins lying about we left behind, sort out Sanch (Vincent will help after chest is sorted) and then get some well deserved fresh air.

Also Vincent shares his extra flask of oil for the incineration if required.

Last edited:

L'ennui

Magister
Agree with the post above, with added clarification that Guillemin does not intend to go check the other urns/alcoves for now.

Still outside the newly revealed secret room and watching intently as his comrades approach the mysterious stone coffer, Guillemin wipes some cold sweat from his brow and asks hesitantly:
"So, uhm, fellas, I kinda hate myself for even bringing this up, but, uh... Don't you think the people of Les Hiboux might be interested to see what kind of monsters live right next to them? Not to mention the Prior or that erudite Monsieur DuPont might be able to shed some light on this... thing. At the very least, it would make them that much more grateful for our good deeds. So maybe we should... ugh... maybe bring one up?" Guillemin visibly shudders at the thought.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Just what it says on the tin. Does someone offer to help Vincent lift the lid silently? If you are burning bodies, where? etc. I'm mostly interested in noise and time from my end.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ganelon will help with Sancho's body. I'm not sure burning them in an enclosed space is the best idea. I'd be up for carting in the God's own sun to do the job. It the other's agree he'd work on that too. Otherwise keeping watch.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Madeline, Ganelon and the rest of the troupe take care of Sancho's body; tying a loop of rope under his shoulders and pulling him topside.

Meanwhile, Vandal and Vincent busy themselves with the stone coffer. With Vincent on one side and Vandal on the other the lid lifts easily enough . . . However as they pull it up and start to move it aside, something makes Vandal's hairs on the back of his neck stand on end just in time. He glimpses movement from under the coffer lid just as they start to pull it back and move it aside. A small, black, shiny scorpion, no more than a handspan-wide, scuttles on to the top with weird, twitchy, unnatural movements. Vincent barely registers the thing, but Vandal is able to drop the lid and defend himself right before the thing leaps at him . . .
zuqbUeW.png

I accidentally switched up the surprise chances but it didn't matter in this case.
QlENHkF.png
ERYFKRAD Roll Initiative! (a 1d6; higher is better) AdamReith Vincent is surprised so unable to act until the following round. No one else is close enough to be involved right now (either in the processional room or topside in the barrow mound).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom