Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

nikolokolus

Arcane
Vandal acts first.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Daphne, with her hands swollen and blistered and all that, apparently decided the chest opening business is better left to the strong men and moves out of the hidden chamber when Vandal arrives.

She proceeds to open the hidden compartment north of the skull room and fetches the stashed sack of coins after whispering "Thank you, Monsieur Euclides" to the silent sentinel.

Daphne closes the secret door and walks to one of the undead assailants lying around. She bows down, grabs the monster by both ankles without a visible sign of disgust or fear and lifts them slightly off the ground, then gives Guillemin an inquiring glance. "Was this not what you suggested, Monsieur? Would you mind giving me a helping hand?"

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Grimgravy you are the party's treasurer/mapper, right? Hope you don't mind that I fiddled with some entries to denote which spoils are in Daphne's possession and which are no longer.

@all FWIW, the 23 silver pieces in the urn room are still lying there. Once the scorpion situation is dealt with, we might want to fetch them as a group?

nikolokolus

Arcane
As Daphne retrieves the sack of coins from the adjacent room, there is a loud *crash* that echoes through the halls, of stone on stone, coming from the narrow hidden chamber with the stone coffer. By the time she runs over to investigate, she sees Vincent and Vandal staring down at something on the ground. There is a little puddle of brown/black liquid (oil?) and a dozens of little weirdly sculpted, tiny pieces of metal scattered around the dark splotch on the ground next to the cast aside stone lid. It takes a few moments to register what it is, but finally the unmistakable tail of a scorpion and its claws can be picked out of the wreckage, along with some tiny gears, springs and cogs -- Some sort of ingenious (or devious?) mechanical construct animated by some unknown force. Baffling and remarkable!

Vandal idly grips his arm to staunch a slow trickle of blood. There is an unmistakable sign of wounds; a deep bleeding gash about a finger-length long, and a puncture wound just above it . . . Vandal seems no worse for wear however. Daphne leaves them momentarily to go collect the silver laying on the ground in the room with the urns and other members of the company rush down the hall to investigate the loud noise.

Vandal and Vincent both look inside the stone coffer to see what this tiny automaton might have been guarding. The only thing inside is a swaddled bundle about a cubit long, laying in the bottom of the small stone chest.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vandal and Vincent both look inside the stone coffer to see what this tiny automaton might have been guarding. The only thing inside is a swaddled bundle about a cubit long, laying in the bottom of the small stone chest.
Duly chastened as regards the virtues of knocking, Vandal prods at the bundle with his trusty prodding implement, the humble ten foot pole.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the bundle does not do anything unseemly or rude. It continues to lay in the bottom of the chest.
Perhaps knocking isn't all that great as it was made out to be after all. Vandal lifts the bundle up to examine its contents in more convivial circumstances.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Could an attempt be made to collect and conserve the scorpion's poison, e.g. by filling it into an emptied lamp oil flask?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Could an attempt be made to collect and conserve the scorpion's poison, e.g. by filling it into an emptied lamp oil flask?
Probably need to suck it in with a straw and let the air pressure do the rest.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
unmistakable tail of a scorpion and its claws can be picked out of the wreckage, along with some tiny gears, springs and cogs
Vandal idly examines the stinger and claw that were moments ago quite eager to protest a rude door opening. Perhaps those sharp things could be fashioned into a good knuckle duster or a similar weapon that could be hidden about his person.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Should we delay inspecting the bundle until we are safely topside?

Is there anything left to be done before we begin Dungeon Extraction Procedure.

Suggestion (might not be viable): Vandal could remove Sancho's skull and scoop up scorpion goo forming some kind of barbarian goblet of death. We could offer this as a peace offering once topside to the waiting party of frog men.

Checkmate Niko.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Should we delay inspecting the bundle until we are safely topside?

Is there anything left to be done before we begin Dungeon Extraction Procedure.
Better we open it in bright light, in the church even.

nikolokolus

Arcane
You're goal is to draw up the poison without getting any on you. You can leave it up to the dice gods where a natural 20 would be a fumble and you can guess what that means . . . or you can try to describe in detail just how you would draw it up safely with the equipment and implements available to you

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Having a history as barber surgeon during the times of the plague, Daphne knows a thing or two about handling hazardous substances. First, she covers her hands with some mittens that are surely part of her normal attire. Then, she gets the broken quarterstaff from her backpack and breaks off a large splint from the frayed wood which could serve as a spatula. With that she proceeds to carefully carve up the thick fluid and pastes it into the empty bottle of lamp oil that she emptied out into the lanterns and superficially cleaned with some rags before. After ensuring the bottle is sealed tight, she disposes of the spatula and the mittens in a corner of the room.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Daphne carefully scoops up about a fluid ounce of the venom and discards the contaminated implements she used to collect it (you have one dose of "scorpion" venom).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Daphne carefully scoops up about a fluid ounce of the venom and discards the contaminated implements she used to collect it (you have one dose of "scorpion" venom).
Wonder if we can find an apothecary who can make a good drink out if it. We'll make millions I tell ya, millions!

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"That was extremely loud! Take the prize to look at outside, or open it here quickly and let's be off before more monsters come this way. Let's not push our luck too far"
The bundle has me in mind of a baby and I don't want to take a dead baby into a church.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
"That was extremely loud! Take the prize to look at outside, or open it here quickly and let's be off before more monsters come this way. Let's not push our luck too far"
The bundle has me in mind of a baby and I don't want to take a dead baby into a church.
Right, it's been in a sarcophagus too. But then who'd toss a scorpion in with a kid?

L'ennui

Magister
After Daphne shows her alarming expertise with poisons, Guillemin joins her in carrying one of the abominations towards the large room from which they entered the dungeon.

SoupNazi

Madeline is no less eager to leave than anyone else, and thus assuming no further distractions focuses on getting Sancho's body out. She's currently too concerned with that to care too much about counting treasure.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

nikolokolus

Arcane
Does anybody actually take it out of the stone chest?
With enough excitement for one day, the former actors turned tomb robbers, gather up what they can, as quickly and quietly as they can and try to ensure that no other horrors in the deep are coming. Fortunately, the weird underground burial chamber remains as quiet as when they first found it and they haul everything up to the floor of the barrow chamber with their block and tackle. The company carefully extracts, sancho and the three dead corpses and carries them up the narrow stairway to daylight. The pungent marsh air and warm hazy sunlight that pierces the mist makes you feel better than evere thought it would. After about four or five minutes you all hear the baying of a hound from the opposite side of the barrow mound and seconds later Jacques' massive wolfhound comes loping over the top. He suddenly stops dead in his tracks about 30 paces away and tilts his head up to the sky, sniffing the air. He lets out a low growl and crouches into a defensive posture with his hackles up and begins to bark incessantly. A minute later your trusty guide, Jacques crests the top of the mound and tries to soothe the dog. " 'Allo!" He waves and cranes his neck to better see what all the commotion is about. "Merde!," he curses and strides quickly over to the entrance where the four corpses lie on the ground. He pushes his cap up on the back of his forehead and wipes some sweat from his brow in the hot afternoon sun, and drops a large goose on the ground as he kneels down to inspect the dead bodies. After several long moments he looks up with a quizzical expression written on his features, "This one I recognize from your company; the moon-eyed boy, but these other three . . . why would you bring the dead up from their resting places?!" He absentmindedly makes the sign of the cross and kisses the small crucifix hung around his neck.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Vincent grabs the bundle and puts it in his pack if Vandal would prefer to leave it alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom