Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

SoupNazi

Somewhat rejuvenated by what currently passes off as fresh air, Maddie steps forward to explain, though still teary eyed with mascara running down her cheeks.

"They were hardly resting, and this is no resting place. These... Things were very much in unrest down there, and they were the ones responsible for the boy's death."

She dramatically points at the corpses of the undead, "We are hoping perhaps under open sky and exposed to the sun, God's might will stop whatever black magic has reanimated them."

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Vincent approaches Jacques. "It's good to see you again, we have had quite the number of daring travails down below. We'll be happy to share them with you over a game of cards once we have rested back at the village."

Vincent shows the hunter his contagion afflicted arm, in a perhaps misguided attempt to gain some tough guy cred with him. "Have you ever seen anything like this? I got cut and it hurts like you wouldn't believe."

L'ennui

Magister
Guillemin revels in the sunlight for a moment, then sighs heavily and gets to work on rolling the undead corpses into a bundle of limbs and rotten flesh. He ties them tightly together with his rope, and sets about looking for branches big enough to make a travois of sorts so that they are easier to carry.

I thought we were only bringing one ugly back up with us and torching the rest, but hey the more the merrier. :P

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Guillemin revels in the sunlight for a moment, then sighs heavily and gets to work on rolling the undead corpses into a bundle of limbs and rotten flesh. He ties them tightly together with his rope, and sets about looking for branches big enough to make a travois of sorts so that they are easier to carry.

I thought we were only bringing one ugly back up with us and torching the rest, but hey the more the merrier. :P
Things are moving fast, maybe I missed that part, but I thought you at least planned to burn 2 of them topside?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Jacques recoils from the corpses at Madeline's account, and barely nods at Vincent as he nods his head absentmindedly at the suggestion of card games. "We should go . . . soon. If you intend to take your friend back and that, it will slow our progress through the swamp. Considerably."

Guillemin walks about 100 paces to the west where a small copse of scrubby trees are growing on top of another mound. Curious, he walks around its full perimeter but finds accessible entrance, just a shallow declivity facing south where the earth has filled in. There is a faintly perceived stone lintel peeking through the fill. He quickly cuts two stout branches from a willow tree at the edge of the marsh and drags them back up to the barrow mound and sets about quickly lashing together a contraption to assist with dragging the bodies. This process takes about a twenty minutes (with help).

L'ennui

Magister
Guillemin pauses before loading the bodies onto the makeshift sledge. "Maybe we'll progress a bit faster without all that dead weight, actually... Perhaps we should we burn some of these atrocities before heading back."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Preparations are made, belongings secured, and the dead carted on litters or travois. The way going home is arduous through the fetid marsh, but aside from the hordes of mosquitos and biting flies, the journey proves uneventful. The troupe finally spies the lights of Les Hiboux about an hour after sundown. They trudge out of the muck and mire, thoroughly exhausted. Vincent's arm seems to have gotten a bit worse, with black pustules spreading from the immediate wound site, a couple of finger-widths. No rest for the weary, they make a beeline for the Priory and rap on the thick oaken, double doors. A Norbertine brother finally opens the entraance about 2 minutes later, wide-eyed and a little confused at the disturbance at this late hour.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More than happy to leave conversation to those eminently suited to it, Vandal seats himself on a nearby post to keep an eye on the haul.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
"Yes, and it hurts like hell!" Vincent indicates his worsening wound as he approaches the door.

"I will be dead by daylight at this rate. Send for the Village's best healer, we can pay."

How worried should Vincent be, is he suffering from any other symtoms?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As the others head in direction of the church, Daphne apologizes, claiming she requires some rest and goes for a walk around the village's vicinity. Maybe she can find some marigold or other medicinal herbs in the dusk to treat her blisters. Eventually, she heads to the Cock & Strumpet to rent a chamber where she spends some time trying to attune to her new haul (the skull, the coins and the poison) before going to bed.

nikolokolus

Arcane
While the rest of the company attends to Vincent and waits for Prior Guillaume to wake, Daphne retreats to the inn, nods a curt greeting at the innkeeper Jean-Baptiste and his wife Marie who are cleaning up the floor and putting up chairs when she strides through the common room without stopping. She sits on her bed for a good long while trying assay all of the things that she's collected in the harrowing journey that feels like it began eons ago. She concentrates with all of her will and after burning a taper all the way down to the candlestick, she is resigned that she can glean nothing magical about the objects. She decides that it's been quite the day and slips beneath the covers and sleeps a dreamless sleep (and regains 1 HP the next morning).

Meanwhile . . .

Prior Guillaume finally exits his private chambers about 10 minutes after the muddy, exhausted travelers are let into the small foyer, attached to the priory's chapel. He whispers something to the Norbertine brother who received you, who in turn nods and walks away silently. "Bonsoir brothers and sister, I'm pleased to see you, but Brother Arnault tells me you have ill tidings. Something about a couple of dead fellows, a harrowing experience in the marsh, and one of your number has fallen ill? Come, we'll take refreshments in my abode where we can speak in private. You all look exhausted."

SoupNazi

Less than excited about the prior's lack of emergency, Maddie steps up immediately.

"Monsignor, forgive me, but there is hardly any time for refreshments!"

There is a stomp on the floor that reverbeates through the building, as well as mud shaking off her boot.

"Our comrade has not just fallen ill, but has been taken ill with the scratch of cursed creatures we found in the burial mounds in the nearby south, and we'll be happy to tell you all about it, but he requires urgent attention from someone of your stature!"

She gets quite upset about it, and - you guessed it - I'm not sure what the timeline is right now, but there's an exasperation roll coming, civilization or not.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent allows Maddie to finish and then approaches the prior, cap in hand.

"Truly, though my symptoms are a mystery somehow; even to myself. If you can have me cured I would be forever in your debt."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The middle-aged Prior is somewhat taken aback at Madeline's outburst, but he mumbles a heartfelt apology, "Pardon, mademoiselle. I did not mean to imply that your need isn't urgent, merely that you all look very tired and that I have some wine and some cheese that I'd be willing to share with you weary folk while you explain your ordeal. But as you say, if -- Vincent, is it? -- is in such dire straits then by all means let us have a look at him." He motions for Vincent to come over and roll up his sleeve. He takes Vincent's forearm in one of his soft, pale hands and carefully inspects the pustules that have now grown to encompass a patch nearly a handspan wide. The Prior sucks in air through his teeth and mutters a barely audible benediction. "Yes my son, I believe I can try to help you. Normally we would ask for a small donation for such a blessing, but as you are acting as my agents in this matter I believe I can let that pass for now." The Prior begins an incantation in Latin, and then presses a holy wafer onto the pustules, which begins to emit a little curl of smoke. Vincent nearly faints from the pain.
It ain't basic D&D that's for sure. AdamReith Vincent needs to make a Save vs Magic for the spell to actually cure the disease. If it doesn't work today, you can try again tomorrow . . . if there is a tomorrow.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Prior Guillaume frowns when he pulls the wafer away from the skin, "There's no way to know if it is God's will that you are healed until the morrow. In the meantime I'd suggest rest and some tea of elderberry and rosehips for the fever and the infection . . . " He trails off looking a bit worried.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent lets out a bated breath of disappointment, his arm still did not feel right.

"I shall return to you tomorrow prior, if that is permissible. In any case I thank you for your efforts, please, ask your questions now and we will tell you of our excursion."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I didn'twant to choke on monster smoke underground and thought to burn them topside, but whatevs. Ganelon follows along and helps as best he can and retires for the night when his assistance is no longer needed.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent drinks the prior's wine until he passes out at the table. He experiences dark dreams of undeath, mausoleums and black skulls floating through a moonless sky.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The group hastily fills in the Prior with the details of their exploits. He listens intently and seems to retreat deep in thought, with a heavy frown forming around the edges of his mouth as you go on. With Ganelon, the Crusader, attesting to the story he seems to give your account credence he might not have otherwise. When you finish your tale he thanks you all and pours himself a very tall goblet of wine with a shaky hand and drains it in one pull. "You've all given me much to ponder this night. If matters are as grave as you say they are, then I feel well out of my depth providing you counsel about what you should do next. Clearly the Adversary is at work here and those ancient tombs have been corrupted to his foul ends somehow. I will write to the Bishop of Vyones at once and dispatch it in all haste. Hopefully he'll know what to do. As for your friend Sancho, I will of course see to it personally that he is attended to and given a proper burial. As for this other thing you brought back with you, we'll burn it on the nonce, or at least at first light when my brother monks awake. Brother Vincent make sure you drink that tea and come back to see me in the morning if it hasn't gotten any better." he pulls down a specially prepared sachet of herbs from a shelf and presses them into Vincent's hand.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent starts awake as the prior presses his hand and gazes at the prior as if he were a ghost for a few moments before remembering himself and thanking him again for his aid.

"Yes, herbs, my thanks."

He pulls himself to his feet and starts what will be his most difficult quest yet, the long walk back to the inn.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Before the troupe leaves the Priory, they finally unfold the swaddled thing retrieved from the secret stone coffer. Peeling away the wraps reveals a very beautifully rendered sculpture in reddish purple wax, about a cubit tall. It depicts a nude woman adorned with a starburst on her brow and she is holding up a crescent moon in both of her uplifted hands over her head. The wax statue has a wick protruding from the top of its head. It smells very strongly of incense and rare perfumes. Prior Guillaume seems utterly taken aback at the sight of the thing, "What marvel is this?!" he exclaims in a voice full of awe. "I've smelled that smell before!"
Now to the loot and restocking your supplies, healing up and seeing if Vincent can shake his illness before it consumes him . . .
  • 181 XP/silver for everyone if you cash in all of the coins and the silver cross.
  • Daphne can't suss out the wax statuette, but Prior Guillaume actually does. He calls it an "Incense of Prayer" it can bolster the spell casting abilities of a cleric for the rest of the day if they spend an hour in the morning burning the candle. the candle should burn for a total of 8 hours. He says he'd be willing to trade for it somehow, but he doesn't have money to give you . . .

Once all of the book keeping and shopping are wrapped up let me know in the group chat thread and then I'll summarize your activities (generally) and then you can move on to the next expedition.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think we should cash in at least some of the loot. It might even be worth making a trip to Vyones so we can talk to the Bishop and deliver the Prior's letter to him personally instead of waiting for a response that may or may not arrive. Also we can buy Vinnie a set of armor better than his culinary current one.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The troupe spends several hours in the company of the Prior and much business is attended to. The company fills-in the middle-aged monk about all of their trials and dangers faced, and he in turn attempts to heal the pustules which seem to be growing at an alarming rate on Vincent's arm. Before they leave Guillaume examines their wax sculpture more closely and brings down an ancient tome on one of his shelves. He hastily flips through scores of pages until exclaiming, "Aha!" He declares that the large "candle" is made from a substance he calls an Icense of Prayer; supposedly an invention of the oracles of ancient Greece and used by the old Romans to aid them in their communion with the gods. With no immediate use for it, the party agrees to trade it to the old monk in exchange for a half-dozen phials of restorative elixir he retrieves from his private quarters. Hopefully the elixirs won't be needed, but after their ordeal, any sort of help -- divine or mundane -- is appreciated. The troupe files off one-by-one to their chambers at the Cock & Strumpet and wakes up feeling refreshed. All, that is, save for Vincent whose fever and infection only worsens through the night.

In the morning, the Prior once again prays over Vincent and leaves him to the care of God. Meanwhile, Ganelon and Vandal ask Jacques the hunter to show them the hidden paths of the marsh, so that they may commit it to memory for the time when the services of their guide is no longer available. Madeline sets about finding a mule, and attempts to hire a new body servant. Ultimately she settles for hiring the strapping lad who sold her the mule, figuring if anybody will know how to best care for it, it's this Felix fellow. Daphne continues to study the objects pilfered from the tombs and, all of their booty is exchanged for hard currency of the realm that merchants will actually accept in barter. Supplies are restocked, contracts are struck, and another day passes.

On the third morning back from the strange underworld tomb, Prior Guillaume again tries to heal Vincent and sends him on his way. Vincent perhaps sensing subconsciously that the end is nigh decides to spend the rest of his day chasing after a buxom milkmaid, called Isabel. Despite his fevered, weakened state he somehow manages to woo the impressionable lass and spends the rest of the day in blissful congress. That night poor Vincent finally succumbs to his infection and is found stone dead in his chambers the next morning. They say death comes in threes: First Horatio, then Madeline's man-servant Sancho, now poor Vincent -- Three funerals in a week. The small hoard of coins and valuables liberated from the ground has been paid in blood and then some.

That evening while the Norbertines finish preparing Sancho's body, and now Vincent's, for burial a weird, uncanny thing happens. Screams of alarm erupt from the infirmary and people in the village rush to see what the commotion is about. Prior Guillaume and the two acolyte brothers under his tutelage are found among the wreckage of two coffins, seemingly burst from inside. At the monks' feet are two smoking corpses laying on the tile floor, smote by the power of God apparently; set aflame by the holy words uttered by Prior Guillaume. Quite shaken and a little uncertain of what should be done, the fat friar declares that he is to set off for Vyones at first light to seek the counsel of the Bishop. He is more than happy to have the troupe accompany him to provide their own eyewitness testimony.

Intrigued by the strange goings on, one of the actors that travelled with the troupe from Arles, a certain acrobat by the name of Grima Boneur asks to tag along . . .

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Grima introduces himself with a half bow and as pleasant a grin as his usually grimacing face can manage. Grima has a dark, sorrowful face for an elf but an elf he surely is.

He is well equipped in chain, longsword and a shield. A short bow and quiver is strapped against his back.

"I heard you got that Cadieux fool killed, take me with you next time. I won't let you down as he did."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom