Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing The Witcher helped me understand the Codex!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Unkillable Cat said:
Until the game decided that Olaf must die. And with his passing, all my stuff unexplicably disappears forever. His inn is still there, it looks perfectly fine, it isn't on fire...and yet not a single atom of my stored stuff can be found.
This isn't bad design, this is stupid design. Retarded, even. It's so stupid that it's the biggest reason against me wanting to carry on playing the game.
Nope, you get your stuff back later on. Don't give up on the game before you play through Chapter 2. And, frankly, chapter 3 :D

Phelot

Arcane
ironyuri said:
That depends on your play style- the signs could often be more effective in combat against certain enemy types. Igni (the fire sign), for example, was useful in several situations and against numerous enemies. Putting points into the shield/defence sign was invaluable near the end-game and the aard proved itself useful throughout, especially when you needed crowd control.

I guess I just liked using all the options available, rather than just clicking allt he time and then bitching about how the Witcher is filled with click-twitch combat?....

The problem is that the game never had an opponent were using a sign was somehow easier then just clickity clicking them to death. There is no depth, no moment when I thought "This fucker is tough, I wonder if he has a weakness to something..." It was pure and simple potion spamming plus hacking.

Like made said, you don't need to take all the jobs. Witcher's hunt and kill beasts for a fee; stray dogs are beasts and the Witcher was paid... however you always had the choice to turn down the job. While it would have been interesting if the job boards had been more dynamic, ie: if you didn't take jobs they'd disappear after a certain time limit (simulating someone else taking it in your place), they were not. You still had the choice.

Why wouldn't I do the quest? I mean from a metagaming standpoint there's no reason in game why I shouldn't. Now, if there was some consequence for taking the quest, for example getting made fun of by some other witcher or some shit, then maybe, but as it stands those "kill 5 things even though there's hundreds of them" quests are a poor man's quest filler. Something I'd like to think will become extinct at some point.

If I remember rightly though, the dog tallow quest for the Undertaker/Graveyard overseer led to another quest involving a woman and her recently deceased husband who had returned as a restless wraith. She only appeared at the Graveyard around 12-16:00 game time, however, and so you may have missed that.

I don't recall there being any pre-quests for that one, but I certainly could be mistaken...

Again, Geralt is railroaded by the nature of the game and the need to implement some structure which will drive the plot forward. If you name Ramsmeat, sure, you don't get anything but a cheap fight; but I'd say there's some feeling of accomplishment if you take the quest through to the end and try to figure it out.

My point was that there may be a lot of choices, but precious few consequences. Just a little flavor that doesn't go a long way. Again, what was the consequence for picking Ramsmeat or one of the others?

If the game is destined to be railroaded, then I have no problem with them simply telling a story. I have a problem when a game is hyped about diverging story lines and C&C when in fact it's just switching a few factions around while going to the same places and fighting the same shit.

The factions are not the same. You've got the Flaming Fis- I mean the Order of the Flame and the Squirrels and then you've got the neutral path. None of the factions is either purely good nor purely evil, so, unlike a Bioware game the moral choices are somewhat ambiguous. The squirrels can do pretty horrid things to humans and the Flaming Fist can do pretty brutal things to non-humans. I took the neutral path and fucked the two nurses because the Witcher does not into politics.

Same burning Vizima, same enemy types, different sex cards... wow.

I haven't seen any other game that really implements vibrant and realistic factions, so to expect it of the Witcher is perhaps to expect too much. If you extrapolate the plot into the unseen future you can assume how different the endings would be- If you chose the Flaming Fist then there would be renewed non-human pogroms and if you choose the squirrels they will, after a bloody struggle, force recognition of their rights in Temeria... if you choose the Witcher then nobody wins except Geralt.

None of which you ever see in game. Like if you choose the OTHER red head, the one with the green, doesn't Trist still help you? Yes, though excuse me, SHES NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT : ( Does that part of the city still burn? Are the two females from each faction not reversed depending on who you pick?

It's all flavor. It's all just shallow flavor and to be honest, none of it was written well enough for me to give a shit about. That's just me. That's my opinion so maybe that's worth shit.

As for end games, I mean really, who gives a fuck what we speculate or what the game tells us. I suppose if you don't win in DA:O then TEH DARKSPAWN DESTROYS EVERYTHING! So what?

Wang Lo

Novice
After learning to make 3d models, I can no longer look at badly made ones without cringing, which is almost all of them.

Witcher does say a lot about rpg codex, especially the review by cardtrick. It got heart! It got soul! It sing the blues! Games don't need things like making sense, having good gameplay or a game system that requires reading or thinking, good combat. All they need is a skim of choice and consequences and to be as brainddead as possible and most people here will lap it up.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wang Lo said:
After learning to make 3d models, I can no longer look at badly made ones without cringing, which is almost all of them.

screen1y.jpg

Can you look at this one?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
phelot said:
The problem is that the game never had an opponent were using a sign was somehow easier then just clickity clicking them to death.
On medium and high difficulty this is simply false. Aard is immensly valuable.

Crichton

Prophet
I dislike the Witcher as much as the next man and for all the usual reasons:

1) I don't like playing Gerry, I'd much rather have my own character

2) the only gameplay is combat and the combat is complete ass (click when you hear the "swish" sound, you could play it with your eyes closed)

3) story/writing are pathetically grimdark and just trying to hard

4) Gerry is a faggot that sucks dwarf cock

But I really don't think we need a five-page thread bitching about it. Even though it's a pretty forgettable game, I think an RPG fan should still play it just to see how it's put together.

Much like Gothic I and II (vastly superior games, obviously) it's a game that's really disconnected from the mainstream. Instead of experienced game designers making polished games under the direction of publishers with rigid expectations for a known market, you have a bunch of guys in the middle of nowhere being financed by the mafia or something.

It didn't make for a good game, but sometimes it's worth playing a game that's different even if it is worse. So there you have it, the Witcher serves a purpose. All the potato nationalists singing it's praises are obviously a different story.

Ancient

Erudite
Crichton said:

I bet he would bite it off , and stab dwarf in the eye with it

Crichton said:
2) the only gameplay is combat and the combat is complete ass (click when you hear the "swish" sound, you could play it with your eyes closed)

Another faggit playing on easy

Crichton said:

Witcher pathetically grimdark ? It would suck ass if it wouldn't be as grim as it is

Before complaining about Geralt as a character read Witcher book's
He is a badass character , but he was kind a soft in game

DraQ

Arcane
Crichton said:

I remember some stupid bitch complaining the same way about TNO in PST on some stupid forum (see The Best Thread Ever pt.2).

It was back before the decline hit so hard and she caused much rage. General consensus was that she would be one of the first who will be put against the wall if any codexian had their way, due to her being a font of stupidity and degenerate scum.

I will therefore disregard the rest of your post on the ground of my heuristics telling me it is not worth it.

tl;dr
UR DUM

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
of course the witcher sucks because its trying to be sinister too hard, ive always wanted it to be colorful fantasy like baldurs gate or oblivion. The only good game that is dark and gritty in a perfect way is dragon age. I hope twitcher 2 learns from it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Wang Lo said:

Witcher does say a lot about rpg codex, especially the review by cardtrick. It got heart! It got soul! It sing the blues! Games don't need things like making sense, having good gameplay or a game system that requires reading or thinking, good combat. All they need is a skim of choice and consequences and to be as brainddead as possible and most people here will lap it up.

While i am mostly on the "gamist" side of the fence (against the C&C, and interactive-movie lovers crowd) and find The Witcher mediocre, average at best (and i am a Pole btw). I also agree with you on the "game system" is required for a game to be good part. I think however that your post is a very good exemple of typical sensless and uunconstructive bitching about the DECLINE.
To your information (and everyone interested): this thread is NOT about the state of the this forum.
Then again, my post is senseless bitching against sensless bitching ...

Crichton said:

Those "reasons" - except the 2nd one - are not "usual". They are extremely subjective at best, stupid at worst. They could be called many names but "usual" they are not.
Poor character development, too low difficulty (even on "hard"), choices and consequences not being really meaningful, poor engine in general ("Aurora sucks"), very bad voice-acting/translation (in english version) and boring combat in general (your 2nd point) - those are the usual reasons. Those are the reasons why people on the Codex "usually" rate TW as they do - a mediocre (or bad) game. And probably it is.
Edit: I forgot the most important argument - sex cards.

On second thought... after removing the 2nd point your post is an obvious attempt at irony (or simply at trolling). I'm a little confused.

dermatologist

Educated
love the nerds that think hard difficulty is something akin to navy seal training mixed up with a little quantum computing. occasionally you have to open your inventory and right click during combat, holy shit, we've suddenly gone from a task that is about as difficult as arithmetic addition to a something about as hard as multiplication.

to reward you for your heroic efforts, you're given a character development system that is almost as complex as what happens when you reach the opposite side of a board during the game of checkers. perhaps you will select the fascinating group steel III... or will you choose the very creative strong silver IV?

this all adds to the epic immersion, which is about as immersive as watching martha stewart under general anesthesia with a tiny asian phallus popping up in frequent intervals (that's a metaphor for combat). be sure to hold down the alt key during the entire game like some autistic maniac in order to get all the kritical alkhemical komponents even though you don't need very many of them on hard. don't worry, nobody gives a shit when you take their stuff right in front of their face. if you click on them, though, you might get a little "suck a dwarf cock" line no matter what you've done, unless of course you're playing the polish version - in that case, every word in the entire game becomes a nugget of divine wisdom.

however, the most immersive part is that rush when you know a sex scene is coming, so you hurry up and lock your door so your mom won't walk in on you pounding one out to some 2 dimensional half naked chick who's either tatted up like a fucking gangster or looks like she puts down about 15 tubs of chicken from KFC on the reg.

other than that, though, it's really good. definitely worth playing until the end.

Technoviking

Novice
Unkillable Cat said:
I now have a much better understanding of why people here on the Codex are so full of butthurt, rage and contempt for newer cRPGs. It's because they are de-evolving the genre, not to mention de-evolving the technical capabilities that have been set by previous titles. In Gothic I can fall off a 2-foot tall ledge to take a short-cut off a platform, or crawl over a boulder to reach the area beyond. (Hell, I could do that in 1992 in Ultima Underworld.) Here I hit an invisble wall if I reach an edge as much as 5 inches off the ground, and gaps large enough to swing my sword in are mysteriously unreachable.
Ef þú getur virkilega samsvarað þér með mest vocal hluta RPG Codex þá ertu í vondum málum held ég. Þetta er bitrasta lið sem ég hef nokkurn tíman hitt. Þetta er lið sem að lifir í fortíðinni, lifir á einhverri algjörri nostalgíu sem að á sér enga stoð í raunveruleikanum.

Það fyrirtæki sem er mest haldið upp á hér á RPG Codex er Troika, fyrirtæki sem að var hreint og beint hörmulega rekið. Þeir gátu ekki gefið út leik án þess að hann væri gjörsamlega broken at release. Ég ætti að vita það, ég keypti þá flesta á release day.

Þetta fólk nöldrar til að nöldra. Vælir til að væla. Það vælir yfir böggum og asnalegum hlutum í nýjum leikjum samtímis því að dásama suma leiki sem voru verri en Gothic 3 at release.

Þetta er sama helvítis syndrome og með mmorpg spilara sem að spiluðu Everquest í gamla daga. Ég spilaði Everquest, ég get sagt þér strax að hann var hrein hörmung miðað við hvað býðst í dag... en back in the day fannst mér hann frábær. Alveg eins og RPG Codex er yfirfullt af RPG spilurum sem að tilbiðja einhverja stórbrenglaða mynd af fortíðinni, eru til mmorpg forum yfirfull af samskonar einstaklingum. Einstaklingum sem hætta ekki að nöldra um hvað mmorpg leikir í dag eru glataðir miðað við gömlu, góðu dagana. Þetta fólk áttar sig ekki á því að það var einfaldlega momentið sem að gerði þessa leiki og þennan tíma svona frábæran. Í mörgum tilvikum var þetta eitthvað nýtt sem þeir voru að experiencea. Einhvers konar high sem þeir komust í sem að þeir munu aldrei aftur upplifa. Eitthvað sem að engir nýir leikir munu nokkurn tíman geta fullkomnlega uppfyllt. Þess vegna bölva þeir öllum þessum nýju leikjum fyrir galla sem voru engu verri en allir þeir gallar sem fyrifundust í leikjum í 'gamla daga'. Þetta er eins og samansafn af eiturlyfjafíklum sem að dreymir um að ná aftur fyrstu vímunni, en sama hvaða nýju lyf koma á götuna, þá ná þau aldrei sömu hæðum.

Sumir af bestu RPG leikjum sem ég spilaði á 10. áratugnum voru með hræðilegu hljóði, hræðilegri málfræði/stafsetningu, imbalanced combat systemum frá helvíti, heimskustu AI sem ég hef nokkurn tíman kynnst... ég get haldið svona áfram endalaust. Samt eru sumir þessara leikja dásamaðir af fólki sem að grætur sig í hel yfir minnstu göllum í nútíma leikjum.

Ekki reyna að verða eins og mest bitru einstaklingarnir hér. Ég held að þú eigir alveg í nógu með að díla við allt helvítið sem er að gerast hér á Íslandi án þess að fara að breytast í gaur sem að eyðir mörgum tímum á dag lesandi vælþræði á RPG Codex. Þú vilt ekki breytast í þetta fólk. ;)

RPG leikir munu aldrei verða fullkomnir. Það mun alltaf vera eitthvað til að setja út á. Það eina sem hægt er að gera er að reyna að sætta sig við það og reyna að sifta út það sem að þér líkar best. Það er svo hrikalega tilgangslaust að eyða tímanum í að væla um þessa leiki á spjallborði eins og RPG Codex. Don't get me wrong, það er ýmislegt mjög gott á Codexnum, en vælið sem að myndar meirihluta allra umræðna hér á síðunni er eitthvað sem skal forðast.

Bara mínar tvær krónur. :lol:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
@Unkillable Cat

If you have EE version of the game you MUST PLAY WITH POLISH VOICES, they are far better then english audio and also add to the medieval atmosphere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom