Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing The Witcher helped me understand the Codex!

racofer

Thread Incliner
The Witcher is actually a p.shitty game. Fedex quests galore in a sterile setting with uninteresting characters and twitchy combat. It's also filled with elves and dwarves which would be number one reason to bash any other RPG in here for. Character system consists of upgrading a few select combat abilities and two specific magic skills that can play the whole game for you. There's zero, I say again, zero character customization for every consecutive playthrough, given that there's no class choices nor varied skill development which could make your character distinct from your previous ones.

Any of these flaws would've been, alone, more than enough to bash any Bioware or even Bethesda game in here. Instead the Codex's "elite" individuals circlejerk to this game much like for the same reasons they did for AP.

Rogue

Educated
I tried the demo, but got bored with it as soon as I saw how retarded combat is.

Baron

Arcane
I know The Witcher couldn't compete with the riveting player character possibilities provided by Diablo 2's many and varied Classes ("I'm a Barbarian!") Or perhaps it was just that the game focus had shifted from smashing barrels.

Yes, The Witcher had some FedEx quests and the odd "Kill 10 dogs for a small reward," but so did every RPG prior (and apparently The Witcher 2 won't have any.) The Dog Catcher of Vizima quest was the first of that kind that I've turned down. During the 90s I scalped and butchered owl bears, driders, hydra lords, deep gnomish clans, dragons of every spectrum, and returned kobolds racked up on my spear like a kebab if it led to a reward. And I never once stopped to consider refusing the quest on moral grounds or out of character.

Witcher quests let you uncover murderers, side with slimy factions, discover wrong or less revealing clues to arrive at different conclusions, and even allow your prey to escape. Your employers and opponents were rarely clear cut good or evil. For me it was exactly what a RPG should be; an immersive world that throws you into its story and leaving you (like Geralt) constantly questioning your loyalties and allegiances. This game was a thousand times better than the highly decorated engine it was built on.

For other people an RPG is about the level up and the ecstasies of picking a new skill.

dragonfk

Erudite
phelot said:
ALERT RED ALERT RED

FORMIDABLE ENEMY COMPLAINT AGAINST GLORY OF MOTHERLAND POLAND.

CALLING ALL COMRADES IN AREA

COMMENCE ATTACK DOWN COUNT FOR VICTORY IN 5 4 3 2...

You sons of a... Actually I don't care.

dragonfk

Erudite
It's been years since we decided to play along. I don't have the same strength as once. I don't want to troll them anymore :( .

Lesifoere

Liturgist
dragonfk said:
It's been years since we decided to play along. I don't have the same strength as once. I don't want to troll them anymore :( .

You need a hug, brother. From a fellow Pole, though, and alas I don't qualify.

Unkillable Cat: you played on easy why? And TW's graphics were fairly decent for the year it was released. Compare with DA's shit-brown palette and some astoundingly ugly facial expressions, character models, terrible art direction, and well everything really. I mean if you are going to be a graphics whore, don't be so utterly oblivious at it. I'd address your complaints about gameplay, writing, and maybe the setting but fortunately you addressed no such thing.

Non-Pole TWitcher defender represent!

Eyeball

Arcane
I quite like the Witcher, personally - which is strange, because I only played to the end of the first chapter before getting bored of the tedious combat against respawning opponents in the swamp and the forced insertion (lol) of sex scenes where none were needed.

Shame I quit there, as I'm told the story really picks up afterthe 1st chapter, but I just can't get myself to reinstall it for the aforementioned reasons.

I thought voice acting was fine, personally. They can't all be PSTs.

Phelot

Arcane
Baron said:
I know The Witcher couldn't compete with the riveting player character possibilities provided by Diablo 2's many and varied Classes ("I'm a Barbarian!") Or perhaps it was just that the game focus had shifted from smashing barrels.

Who is talking about Diablo? Fact is, TW has terrible character progression with little choice in skills. Of course we're going to upgrade all the fighting stances and weapon skills especially when we're provided with so many points to do so. It was pointless to even give the player the illusion of picking shit. Sure, you have enough points to put them into the various magic spells, but who the fuck needs them other then for some retarded "puzzles" like using air to blow open some caved in rocks...

No thanks.

Yes, The Witcher had some FedEx quests and the odd "Kill 10 dogs for a small reward," but so did every RPG prior (and apparently The Witcher 2 won't have any.) The Dog Catcher of Vizima quest was the first of that kind that I've turned down. During the 90s I scalped and butchered owl bears, driders, hydra lords, deep gnomish clans, dragons of every spectrum, and returned kobolds racked up on my spear like a kebab if it led to a reward. And I never once stopped to consider refusing the quest on moral grounds or out of character.

I believe I was able to complete that quest by finding dog tallow in random barrels... that have such items just like every other RPG. So is that suppose to be an excuse? That TW is just like every other RPG?

And why isn't there a choice for Geralt to tell the guy to fuck off with killing dogs? And why is a Witcher going around taking such shitty jobs to begin with?

Oh right, it has something to do with immersion.

Witcher quests let you uncover murderers, side with slimy factions, discover wrong or less revealing clues to arrive at different conclusions, and even allow your prey to escape. Your employers and opponents were rarely clear cut good or evil. For me it was exactly what a RPG should be; an immersive world that throws you into its story and leaving you (like Geralt) constantly questioning your loyalties and allegiances. This game was a thousand times better than the highly decorated engine it was built on.

The murder investigation was the only potentially fun quest with interesting choices, but was ruined by poor NA translation. Still, there was no consequences to it. What happens if you pick that thug boss? You kill him and that's that. If you didn't pick him then you never hear from him. None the less, it always ends with the same fight, which the game doesn't allow you to finish.

The factions were the same! Each had a counter part. There is no clear consequences other then who you fuck in the last chapter and having to deal with certain characters "hurt feelings" or whatever. Otherwise, what were the consequences?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
For those not in the Polish "Ojczyzna" is basically "Fatherland".

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Thanks, was wondering if Poland was supposed to be a lady or a gent.

ironyuri

racofer said:

Is this an example of you inclining a thread....?

The Witcher is actually a p.shitty game. Fedex quests galore in a sterile setting with uninteresting characters and twitchy combat. It's also filled with elves and dwarves which would be number one reason to bash any other RPG in here for. Character system consists of upgrading a few select combat abilities and two specific magic skills that can play the whole game for you. There's zero, I say again, zero character customization for every consecutive playthrough, given that there's no class choices nor varied skill development which could make your character distinct from your previous ones.

I can only assume you're ineffectively trolling .... because you just described Dragon Age: Origins.

Any of these flaws would've been, alone, more than enough to bash any Bioware or even Bethesda game in here. Instead the Codex's "elite" individuals circlejerk to this game much like for the same reasons they did for AP

Where exactly was all the praise for AP that you're talking about? I joined the Codex just after I bought AP (after some years of lurking) and all I found were threads which tried to rip the ass out of AP... maybe you were reading RPGWatch?

racofer

Thread Incliner
ironyuri said:
Is this an example of you inclining a thread....?
It surely beats one liner witty responses to everything.

Where exactly was all the praise for AP that you're talking about? I joined the Codex just after I bought AP (after some years of lurking) and all I found were threads which tried to rip the ass out of AP...

Perhaps you should've tried to read those very threads in here? You know, the content in them besides the title? Because you obviously haven't.

I can only assume you're ineffectively trolling .... because you just described Dragon Age: Origins.
Really? How is DA:O combat twitchy? Last I recall, there was no timed click-click-click-click-click-click-click to dispatch enemies. DA:O also has multiple classes and quite a few variations on how you build them, unlike TWitcher.

I could go on, but you're here to sound smart and earn quick KKKs, you being an angry, vicious newfag and all, ready to spill your bile on the members that dare to go against your very definition of that is accepted in here. I'm sure you will climb to our highest ranks in no time with that attitude, after all, this is what the Codex is all about nya?

pero

Novice
phelot said:
And why is a Witcher going around taking such shitty jobs to begin with?
Isn't it kinda their sole purpose for existing? I'm not going to defend it from a gameplay point of view, but killing monsters is pretty much the Witcher MO.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
racofer said:
Really? How is DA:O combat twitchy? Last I recall, there was no timed click-click-click-click-click-click-click to dispatch enemies. DA:O also has multiple classes and quite a few variations on how you build them, unlike TWitcher.

Well, you see:

Fedex quests galore in a sterile setting with uninteresting characters and twitchy combat. It's also filled with elves and dwarves which would be number one reason to bash any other RPG in here for. Character system consists of upgrading a few select combat abilities and two specific magic skills that can play the whole game for you. There's zero, I say again, zero character customization for every consecutive playthrough, given that there's no class choices nor varied skill development which could make your character distinct from your previous ones.

Sterile setting with uninteresting characters? Check (yes, I realize you think DA characters are memorable and emotionally engaging, but your taste doesn't count for shit). Elves and dwarves? Double-check! Character system being dumb so you end up with shitloads of points to spend on abilities, which you then spend on anything vaguely useful and a lot of things that are useless? Check. Varied skill development? Hahaha.

So, yeah, did you misspell "Dragon Age: Origins"?

Phelot

Arcane
pero said:
phelot said:
And why is a Witcher going around taking such shitty jobs to begin with?
Isn't it kinda their sole purpose for existing? I'm not going to defend it from a gameplay point of view, but killing monsters is pretty much the Witcher MO.

I was referring to the dog catcher quest.

And no takers on my points above?

Alright how about this: I think the OP is in the right to criticize graphical issues in TW since the game is very cinematic and thus, open to such criticism. If characters just stood there, or if a classic dialogue box opens with a portrait of the character, then it's clear the game isn't trying to be like a movie, but as is, TW uses "actors" with facial expressions, gestures... we are meant to be wowed by the "awesome" VO's, that BTW seem to depend more on cheap gimmicks like curse words or innuendos then actual good writing. So yeah, sadly TW is a standard next-gen game in the same grade as Bioware or Bethesda games which is why we judge those games by their looks since most of the production time clearly goes into the game's appearance.

made

Arcane
phelot said:
And why isn't there a choice for Geralt to tell the guy to fuck off with killing dogs? And why is a Witcher going around taking such shitty jobs to begin with?

Oh right, it has something to do with immersion.
You're free to turn down the quest iirc, so if the Witcher is going around taking such jobs it was entirely your choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom