Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing The Witcher helped me understand the Codex!

Divinity: Original Sin
Witcher feels too much like an bioware game. I finished it last saturday, and mostly because I want to try witcher 2, since I felt bored playing the game. I started blast year, and one crash pissed me off and I uninstalled. Thank god i aways keep my saves around so I don't really have to restart from the beggining.

I started the game on medium, and since it was very easy, I kinda regreted I didn't chose the hard. But in the end, I was glad since I wanted to finish it the sooner i could.

At least the main story somehow managed to stay away from the classic cliché of "newbie outcast is the chosen one destined to save the world", and the main goal is pursuing a criminal organization. In the end, you just do some "assassin's creed" type of mission, and end up just kind of saving the world.

There's lot's of fetch quests, but the main quests were somehow fun, it felt like a investigative, detective story. A nice thing was the setting, the style. I was kind of mundane, no so much fantasy like, which although had a nice feeling, it made the thing more boring. the NPCs mostly discusses about daily activities rather than the threats of war or ancient prophecies. It feels realistic and kind of original, but boring nonetheless.

the gameplay didn't bother me, since i expected the aurora engine limitations, like not being able to jump or invisible walls. KOTOR was the same way.

What bothers the most is the bugs: Lot's of crashes on the trade quarter of after long play sections. The time the list of savegames takes to open if you have a lot of them (it would take ages), the fact that everytime you hit a quick save you end up creating an enbtirely new save archive.

Inventory management was not a problem at all for me.

And the there's the choice and consequence, an overrated concept. Here it doesn't really change anything at all, but at least they're not based on choice a) saint or b) devil, like the ones in a bioware game. It's just a matter of preference, and doesn't affect quests at all, only future dialogues and some character alliances, and cutscenes. it's only meant as a self-discovery epifanies for the geralt character, but he is just the same guy all along.

Some people here even compared the game to oblivion. But one thing is certain, with all of it's flaws, boredom, same character models for lots of NPCs, it really feels like a lively world.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
The Witcher has heart. It has soul. If The Witcher sang the Blues, you'd want to listen. This is a game made by people who genuinely loved what they were doing, and it's clear that rather than asking themselves "How can we best serve the market?", the developers instead asked "Wouldn't it be awesome if . . .?" It has all the enthusiasm and the quirkiness (for better and worse) of an indie game, but the production values that only a multi-million dollar budget will buy.

You have to admit that this shit is rather amusing

ironyuri

DraQ is doing a commendable job valiantly defending The (glorious amazing) Witcher alone, but I think we need Whiskey Wolf and Roxxor in this thread to really kick things off.

Also, what SB said.

ironyuri

Jaesun said:
DriacKin said:
DraQ said:
What irks me is how Codex gets hung up on bad stuff even if the game does sufficient amount of stuff well enough for [...]
It does?

I was wondering that as well.

It does.

You're probably butthurt because there were no cock cards, only titty cards.

:smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:roll:

I have only made it to the first town then stopped to play something else. I do need at some point to return and finish it (not that I hated it or anything, I just didn't have the time to commit to playing it fully).

I was just curious "What it does well" that I will be in store for...

ironyuri

Jaesun said:
:roll:

I have only made it to the first town then stopped to play something else. I do need at some point to return and finish it (not that I hated it or anything, I just didn't have the time to commit to playing it fully).

I was just curious "What it does well" that I will be in store for...

The mini-games don't completely break immersion with the rest of the game- the fist fighting is integrated into normal gameplay; the dice-game at least makes sense and is consistent with the game as a mini-game.

The potion making mechanics are actually deeper than they appear (don't take deeper than they appear to mean zomg so totally deep and immersuve innovashonaul) in that you can stack ingredients with albedo/nigredo/rubedo which have different added effects on top of the normal potions you make. It's been a while since my last playthrough but IIRC- albedo decreases toxicity; nigredo boosts attack; rubedo adds restorative health power to the potion.

Balancing the signs (force powers?) that Geralt has access to adds levels to combat. Using the aard to push opponents back and then attacking. Combat is not just a series of click once, click once on timed event, click thrice on timed event for mega-combo attack. If you play on easier settings this might be the case but on harder settings you have to use your signs and pay attention to combat styles (fast, strong, group) so as not to be surprise buttseksed.

I found the story and quests to be enjoyable even if there are alot of fedex style quests. The game's limited C&C plays out in a way not dissimilar to Alpha Protocol, but the animated screencaptures that display the consequences of your actions added something to the overall feel of the game. It was always nice to be informed down the line that my choices some hours before had consequences in the game world even if they were localised to those surrounding Geralt.

The story worked well I thought right up until the end when (not to spoil it) a certain character that you meet at the beginning is revealed to be the big bad everyone's been worried about. The actual end-game railroading from Chapter 5 onwards was annoying but forgiveable.

All in all, I felt like I was roleplaying Geralt's story and the game offered enough by ways of exploring parts of the city and examining the world to be interesting.

Most everyone here praises PS:T's story and dialogue but denegrates its combat (I liked its combat, I also liked the Mako in Mass Effect, call me a masochist?); yet the Witcher seems to cause infinitely more butthurt for... some reason? The games are not equivalent in many ways but The Witcher was fun, I've played through it twice to experiment with different choices and that was enough for me.

Don't be skyway, play game to finish then judge game.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I just got the message that someone is spitting on my Fatherland, I decided to drop everything and came here. Which one of you motherless bastards is it?!

:x

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
prepare for war. Its time for poland to invade fuckers. Take your potatoes, ride your anti-tank horses. And dont forget to bitch everywhere about our tought situation.
FIGHT FOR MOTHERLAND

Cenobyte

Prophet
ironyuri said:
The mini-games don't completely break immersion with the rest of the game- the fist fighting is integrated into normal gameplay; the dice-game at least makes sense and is consistent with the game as a mini-game.

The dice rolling was fun, but the drinking contests were incredibly stupid.

Balancing the signs (force powers?) that Geralt has access to adds levels to combat. Using the aard to push opponents back and then attacking. Combat is not just a series of click once, click once on timed event, click thrice on timed event for mega-combo attack. If you play on easier settings this might be the case but on harder settings you have to use your signs and pay attention to combat styles (fast, strong, group) so as not to be surprise buttseksed

Even with the signs it's still basically "throw in potion -> attack with the right style (consult journal for this) -> use power if necessary". Nothing extraordinaire or deep here. All in all, the combat system was rather bland and became monotonous quite quickly.

I found the story and quests to be enjoyable even if there are alot of fedex style quests. The game's limited C&C plays out in a way not dissimilar to Alpha Protocol, but the animated screencaptures that display the consequences of your actions added something to the overall feel of the game. It was always nice to be informed down the line that my choices some hours before had consequences in the game world even if they were localised to those surrounding Geralt.

To be honest, the storytelling is imho rather weird. It has extreme pacing problems, for the most part of the game the "main quest" is completely unimportant or in the very background. At some points of the game I felt like in a Bethesda game, and that in a supposedly "story-driven RPG"?
The CnC effects were nice, though, I can agree with you on that.

All in all, I felt like I was roleplaying Geralt's story and the game offered enough by ways of exploring parts of the city and examining the world to be interesting.

For me Geralt (don't know any of the books, so I was completely new to his character and person) wasn't described well enough in the game to really feel like roleplaying him. It was more like Gothic or other games with a pre-selected hero. You play a named guy, but other than the name he has no character of his own.
Then again, since this is an RPG, a Geralt with his own personality and preferences would likely annoy many gamers who want to act different than Geralt.
Because I'd no previous knowledge of the Geralt stuff, I also had no special relationship to all those characters. I hated the dwarf and my preferred romance interest would have been this horny princess :lol:

But yes, the variety of the game world was nice and, I especially liked this level at the beach. CD Projekt also did a great job in creating a fitting atmosphere throughout the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And never, ever use articles. Even when bastards got you pinned against wall and situation seems hopeless.

made

Arcane
I agree with OP that the ability to jump and somersault around the scenery is an integral part of RPGs and crucial to my enjoyment of the genre. I can only hope TW2 rectifies this jarring issue, along with the other glaring shortcomings like facial animations and clipping.

"(Also, amidoingitrite?)"
Absolutely. Criticizing games for superficial reasons while being oblivious to their real flaws is symptomatic of the Codex 2010.

serch

Magister
I really enjoyed the witcher and there's not a single drop of polish blood in my veins :salute: I never experimented any bugs or long loading times, but I installed it over a raid 0, so perhaps that improved my perception of the game. The characters and the world had an undeniable enchant. The combat system was easy to master and it was really about what abilities you select at level up and what potions and oils you mix, as it should be. You needed to choose the highest difficulty level for combat to be enjoyable, though. I'm hoping for a similar witcher 2.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Storm of Zehir.

df7hfn.gif

relootz

Scholar
The Witcher is a great game with very good atmosphere. The combat didnt bother me at all. Granted the camera wasn't always showing the best angle but a lot of games have this problem so you learn to deal with it.

Also who plays a game on easy? Most of the time hard is easy if you aren't a complete one brain cell retard.

1eyedking

Erudite
I would rather say the Witcher is a good 'experience' (as much as I hate the meaning of that in modern gaming), similar in vein to what PS:T is.

It plays like watching a really good movie, and there hasn't been a single good one of those for about 10 years now, so I'm not complaining.

1eyedking said:
I would rather say the Witcher is a good 'experience' (as much as I hate the meaning of that in modern gaming), similar in vein to what PS:T is.

It plays like watching a really good movie, and there hasn't been a single good one of those for about 10 years now, so I'm not complaining.

:salute:

I always play games to watch them, like a good movie.

Baron

Arcane
Glorious game!

A True Neutral root rat and monster slayer traditionalist pondering his place in a world that's changing around him. It's atmospheric, has great NPCs, gorgeous art design, dwarves as they should be (filthy scum!), political shenanigans, alchemy, monster weaknesses, a generous scorn for religion, lightless crypts, interesting books, bustling communities, drunk punching, and a deep and abiding love of whores.

I pledge my undying allegiance to Poland! I dedicate every hospitality employee I bed to Geralt! I worship five time a day in the approximate direction of Vizima!

-and I will renounce every word of the above if the miserable Polish fuckers don't release a Witcher 2 toolset as I'm suspecting them to do. Poles... about as trustworthy as a Scoia'tael fisstech addict in the face of moderate danger.

dr. one

Augur
Baron said:
Glorious game!

A True Neutral root rat and monster slayer traditionalist pondering his place in a world that's changing around him. It's atmospheric, has great NPCs, gorgeous art design, dwarves as they should be (filthy scum!), political shenanigans, alchemy, monster weaknesses, a generous scorn for religion, lightless crypts, interesting books, bustling communities, drunk punching, and a deep and abiding love of whores.

i approve this description.

Phelot

Arcane
ITT the Codex approves of superficial choices and consequences and poorly implemented combat.:smug:

/skyway

Dele

Liturgist
You understand wrong, witcher and motb are the only rpgs that are worth of playing released in quite a while and witcher is actually a pretty good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom