Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please help me understand something about Neverwinter Nights

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
This thread is bullshit. There are certainly things wrong in the NWN OC, but this thread misses it yet attacks stupid lame stuff that shows ignorance of NWN, D&D, FR, and common sense. FFS People are you ALL idiots?

P.S. I thoguht NWN was a dead game sicne it's been out for 10 years... yet the Codex still makes multiu page threads dedicated t. HAHAHAHA!

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This thread is bullshit. There are certainly things wrong in the NWN OC, but this thread misses it

Such as?

P.S. I thoguht NWN was a dead game sicne it's been out for 10 years... yet the Codex still makes multiu page threads dedicated t. HAHAHAHA!

What? The Codex is full of multiu page threads of games that are even older than that... oh! HAHAHAHA! YOU ARE HILARIOUS! Now, please, go back to sniffing glue.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Except the Codex hates NWN supposedly and claimed whjen it was released that it was 'forgettable' and within a year nobody would eb disucssing it. 10 years, the Codex is still discussing it... L0LZ

As for your first quote, do a search. FFS Stop beings o Codexian lazy.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
This thread is bullshit. There are certainly things wrong in the NWN OC, but this thread misses it

Such as?

What? The Codex is full of multiu page threads of games that are even older than that... oh! HAHAHAHA! YOU ARE HILARIOUS! Now, please, go back to sniffing glue.
Volourn, meet vorvek. Vorvek, meet Volourn R00fles!

Erebus

Arcane
1) Where the hell does the Luskan army come from? Luskan, from what I saw, was more or less utterly destroyed. Its High Captains basically waged a bloody street war that led to mass looting, chaos and deaths of innocents. I killed both factions, which means basically everyone capable of lifting a sword is dead. So I repeat again, where the fuck did the army come from? Where was it this whole time? Why does it suddenly decide to follow a former Neverwinter paladin into battle, for apparently no reason, especially when they have the far more pressing concern of their home being basically in ruins?

2) Why the hell is Luskan attacking Neverwinter? Okay, I get the fact that it's the lizardman cult that's manipulating them and getting them to start a war, but why are they marching to battle? Sure, Neverwinter and Luskan aren't the best allies but what could possibly make them turn on each other when both cities are so devastated? They should be cooperating to solve their respective issues. Oh, but now a lizardman shaman and a demon-possessed knight appear and tells them all to fight their neighbor. Is everyone on drugs? What does Luskan stand to gain by destroying Neverwinter? Okay, maybe they're all just Chaotic Evil in Luskan (must be something in the water), but what could possibly make them want to risk everything just to beat Neverwinter? Do they realize that following an ancient lizardman snake cult that considers mammals slave races probably won't end well for them?

3) So we're looking for the Words of Power, and it's made very clear we don't know anything about them. Not even the spymaster has a clue as to where they are and what they might be. The Host Tower is in ruins and all its members are dead or gone, so the biggest source of arcane lore and talent in the land can also be ruled out. Yet somehow, even with our complete lack of knowledge, in the span of a short narration we are able to somehow figure out they are located amongst the barbarians in the north end of the Sword Coast. How fucking convenient that Neverwinter, with its forces in ruins and only a handful of adventurers left to protect it, can uncover this incredibly ancient, secret knowledge in a matter of days or weeks, while the lizard cult has been searching and plotting for... uh, like fucking centuries?

4) Come to think of it, what the hell is the lizard cult's plan? Okay, weaken Neverwinter, got it, destroy Neverwinter using Luskan, got it. But why the fuck did they apparently leave this Words of Power stuff to the last minute? If I had thousands of years to brew, stew and generally cult around the place, and my plan for world domination required many years of work to slowly infiltrate society and build an army, I think it'd probably be a good idea to, you know, not set the plan in motion until all the key parts were in place. Knowing the Words of Power for when they actually needed them sure would have been useful! And really, they've waited hundreds or even thousands of years for their snake-mistress to reconstitute herself, what's another decade or two to get the Words of Power sorted out? What is so pressing about completing their plot right now, that they enacted it before it was ready?

5) So Aribeth joined the enemy, right? Okay, that's fine. But what's up with her reasons? She's sad that Fenthick, her lover, is dead. I get it. I mean, I'm not sure why she loved him in the first place, what with his girlish grin and whiny voice, but discounting that, it's enough to mess with someone to see the person you love hanging from a tree by the neck. I also don't mind that her mad desire for revenge against those responsible for his death - the lizardman cult, the False Helmites, etc. - would cause her to fall. That works out fine. But fucking Christ, did anyone tell Aribeth that gaining revenge does not involve joining the enemy faction you wanted to seek revenge on in the first place and turn on your own allies? Now I know the way she speaks isn't just a holier-than-thou inflection, but the result of what I can only assume is extensive brain damage.

Damn. Reading all this makes me realize just how much I've forgotten about NWN1 OC's sad excuse for a plot.

I really can't answer your first four questions, since I barely remember said events at all (in fact, when you mention Words of Power, I genuinely have no idea what you're speaking of).

In the case of Aribeth... well, her betrayal was indeed retarded. I remember that her motives and thoughts are a bit developed in HotU (in the third part), though it's a bit like giving aspirin to someone suffering from a brain concussion.

Moribund

A droglike
And sea's years long streak of always being wrong continues.

It makes perfect sense in DnD because you aren't going to spend 100 GP to cure a peasant who only makes 5 silver pieces as his annual wages. There's where magic gets balanced, outside of computer games, shit is expensive and also has limitations like ingredient availaility. You can't just cast chain lightning and stone skin 6 times a day and rid the world of every orc in 3 months, you'd bankrupt an entire kingdom in a week.

Not that a magic plague isn't lame but if plot is the thing that comes to mind for NWN criticism there's no hope for you.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

It makes perfect sense in DnD because you aren't going to spend 100 GP to cure a peasant who only makes 5 silver pieces as his annual wages. There's where magic gets balanced, outside of computer games, shit is expensive and also has limitations like ingredient availaility. You can't just cast chain lightning and stone skin 6 times a day and rid the world of every orc in 3 months, you'd bankrupt an entire kingdom in a week.

Not that a magic plague isn't lame but if plot is the thing that comes to mind for NWN criticism there's no hope for you.
and yet every bandit or goblin has at least a couple silver coins to loot (and I'm talking about the PnP campaigns here). It's a weird place, this DnD, where a couple peasant could earn more than their life's earnings by just banding up and killing a random thug

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

and yet every bandit or goblin has at least a couple silver coins to loot (and I'm talking about the PnP campaigns here). It's a weird place, this DnD, where a couple peasant could earn more than their life's earnings by just banding up and killing a random thug
That is the entire net worth of the bandit.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
AFAIK, a farmer gets a piece of silver per week. That's ~5 gold a year.

Edit: not that it makes a difference. Dungeons & Dragons doesn't really care about economics, as it doesn't care about many other things. As a model for that purpose it's poor, and you have things like a rank 4 profession(farmer) and a rank 4 profession(accountant) getting paid the same amount per week for their jobs. In D&D money is just a(nother) way to restrict the characters' power.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Unskilled labourer gets 1 silver per day.

Profession (farmer) probably operates on assumption that he has his own land and sells part of the grain/meat/cheese/eggs?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe Cure Disease potions do work, but there are limited quantities and the ingredients are rare, so only the rich members of society can afford them, leading to riots and protests in the streets as the plague-ridden masses desperately seek aid.

You did play Dishonored?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
LOL, Eric. What's next? "Please help me understand the politics in DAO"?
Actually the Dragon Age politics make kinda-sense at least as far as the world-building goes.

In Ferelden, the Bannorn is a collective of minor nobles and land-owners who hold sway over villages and tracts of farmland, who all convene under their local Arl (lord, basically). Teyrns are less defined but are basically war heroes and innovators not of noble blood but who have distinguished themselves enough to achieve recognition, usually in battle. The Arling collective theoretically represents the needs of the people, similar to a senate, though the analogue might be more accurately described as city-states who receive protection in exchange for fealty. Pretty easy to understand, though I'm not sure how concepts like knighthood work. Are knights appointed under a Bann, Arl, Teyrn, or under a King or Queen?

Of course, in the game it makes no fucking sense how Teryn Loghain is able to usurp the throne with no real objections (they hand-wave them away saying he bought everyone), and how his betrayal is well known yet is somehow covered up by all the nobles. I also didn't know that a Teyrn could kill a King or Queen to take the throne, seems kinda lulzy when you don't have a massive army backing you (at first, Loghain just has a few deserters from Ostagar).

Overall it makes more sense than the stuff in NWN, though not by too much when you try to think about it. Most of that story's problems are ones of exceptional convenience and coincidence, or mechanics conflicting with plot (i.e. it takes 3-4 weeks to travel across Ferelden yet the Wardens won't send more men until well into the main plot no matter how many side quests you do).

And no, I had to look most of that stuff up to remember it. :(

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Next, we examine the medical implications of the FO:NV courier surviving a point blank bullet to the head and shallow burial.
a stimpack did it

Gord

Arcane
Except the Tarrasque is a fairly easy to beat monster unless you don't understand the rules of the game. A level 7 cleric can summon an allip, for example (incorporeal undead, CR3) that the oh-so-mighty-tarrasque can't hit, while the allip can just drain its wisdom until it reaches 0, thus rendering the monster useless. Also, a level 3 cleric with the right couple of feats could just rebuke a random allip, so, yeah. You don't need to be an epic character, and there are MANY harder monsters in the SRD that you would fight without doubting the sanity of your DM, like Pit Fiends, Balors or Solars. Because in the end, the tarrasque is but a slow-moving flesh tank that can't reach a group that flies as it can only attack in melee.

Ok, I'll admit that I'm far from an expert on D&D rules, and will sound like a huge nerd, but your plan seems to have a few flaws:
1. Won't summon undead creatures be generally limited to evil clerics (thus, tough luck if you are good-alligned)?
2. As I understand it, given the Tarrasque's various immunities (amongst it ability damage and negative energy effects) and regeneration, it will probably depend on the DM if he allows that loophole (ability drain) to work.
3. If the Tarasque has DR 25/+5 (or 15/epic, depending on source) wouldn't it hit like a +5 magic/epic weapon, roflstomping the wailing Allip if the Tarrasque gets the first hit?

Obviously the Tarrasque is more of an exercise in creativity than anything else, putting you at the mercy of the DM.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Next, we examine the medical implications of the FO:NV courier surviving a point blank bullet to the head and shallow burial.
a stimpack did it
Considering how weak head shots are in the Fallout universe, there is nothing unreasonable about this.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Except the Tarrasque is a fairly easy to beat monster unless you don't understand the rules of the game. A level 7 cleric can summon an allip, for example (incorporeal undead, CR3) that the oh-so-mighty-tarrasque can't hit, while the allip can just drain its wisdom until it reaches 0, thus rendering the monster useless. Also, a level 3 cleric with the right couple of feats could just rebuke a random allip, so, yeah. You don't need to be an epic character, and there are MANY harder monsters in the SRD that you would fight without doubting the sanity of your DM, like Pit Fiends, Balors or Solars. Because in the end, the tarrasque is but a slow-moving flesh tank that can't reach a group that flies as it can only attack in melee.

Ok, I'll admit that I'm far from an expert on D&D rules, and will sound like a huge nerd, but your plan seems to have a few flaws:
1. Won't summon undead creatures be generally limited to evil clerics?
2. As I understand it, given the Tarasque's various immunities (amongst it ability damage) and regeneration, it will probably depend on the DM if he allows that loophole (ability drain) to work.
3. If the Tarasque has DR 25/+5 wouldn't it hit like a +5 magic weapon, roflstomping the wailing Allip if it gets the first hit?

Obviously the Tarasque is more of an exercise in creativity than anything else, but you will be at the mercy of the DM.

1. Evil clerics and Wizards/Sorcerers. Nothing prevents you from rolling an evil character, though.
2. Ability Drain and Ability Damage are separate constructs. In fact, Ability Damage could be understood as a "minor" version, since it can be healed with Lesser Restoration, while Ability Drain needs Restoration.
3. In DND 3.5 there's no such thing as DR25/+5; the damage reduction of the Tarrasque is 15/epic. Its natural weapons are not considered magical, thus it can't harm the incorporeal allip.

Also, the regeneration doesn't matter. You just want the tarrasque to reach 0 wisdom, thus rendering it comatose.

Gord

Arcane
1. Evil clerics and Wizards/Sorcerers. Nothing prevents you from rolling an evil character, though.
2. Ability Drain and Ability Damage are separate constructs. In fact, Ability Damage could be understood as a "minor" version, since it can be healed with Lesser Restoration, while Ability Drain needs Restoration.
3. In DND 3.5 there's no such thing as DR25/+5; the damage reduction of the Tarrasque is 15/epic. Its natural weapons are not considered magical, thus it can't harm the incorporeal allip.

Also, the regeneration doesn't matter. You just want the tarrasque to reach 0 wisdom, thus rendering it comatose.

I just edited the post with the damage reduction part, obviously a little to late.
Anyway, you are right, you can of course roll an evil character, but if you don't have one, that Allip-idea might not be so easy.
Also, see this part from the D&D wiki:
The tarrasque’s natural weapons are treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Should work against an Allip, I think, unless incorporeal creatures are again an exception.

The Drain/Damage distinction I'm not sure of. As I said, I'm no expert on D&D rules. Discussion on the internet seem a bit confusing about that.
As I said, you will probably be at the mercy of the DM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom