Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please tell me why I'm going to hate Oblivion

Orgad

Novice
Well let's see. It would appear that even if they take out half of the ideas that may or may not have ever been proposed for inclusion in Oblivion, the end result would still probably be bigger, better and more immersive than any other RPG currently in existence.

In short, if you are the type of RPG player who enjoyed/enjoys Morrowind, Oblivion will be better, plus have up-to-date graphical technology.

in other words..... its the bimbo for brains deal. Bethesda Added another coupla inches to her chest and removed half her brain....woooo! and yay for big pointy compass arrows telling us where to go.

Dear God please let there be an option to remove that.

No need to be so pessimistic about a few sacrifices made, that actually make room for improvement. Remember, this game is not Morrowind, it is an addition to a series, which is The Elder Scrolls. You surely cannot expect every single feature, that was present in the original first game, to be in the series' latest installment.
Things change, it's a part of evolution.

couldnt believe someone said this on TES forums..... The point about fucking evolution is that organisms get MORE complex not less not dumbed down to shit lol!
In any sequel worth its salt you should really be getting what was in the originals (or what was good in the originals) and then expanding upon them in the sequels.

But i'm ohh so looking forward to interacting with the deer woooh!

I'd actually prefer it if they took all fast travel out or at least removed it until the latter 7/8 of the game. Travel should be long and ardous and you should have to fucking eat and sleep to live Thats what makes games BIG and journeys feel like they are worth something, taking bloody ages to get there!
And sweet jesus wheres the sex? Are characters in these games all monks? Have you seen any gaming NPC characters acting as a couple? Its like there are no relationships that exist. Put sex and relationship in and just slap a R on the side of the game no biggie

I guess my dream of Ultima VII in a realistic fully functional working 3d environment will never happen.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tintin, what Twinfalls is saying is that imagination in a CRPG should not be used to compensate for its lack of features, but rather that it can be used to complement the already existing ones.

Tintin

Arbiter
Role-Player said:
Tintin, what Twinfalls is saying is that imagination in a CRPG should not be used to compensate for its lack of features, but rather that it can be used to complement the already existing ones.

Okay, I get that part, but then why isn't that same argument applicable to boring quests in Morrowind, or repetitive NPCs in Morrowind, or repetitive towns or cities, or whatever.

Twinfalls said:
Tintin - you are taking my comment out of context, to fit your narrow (as always) agenda of bashing the Codex and trying desperately to find 'hypocrisy'.

No I am part of a secret conspiracy organisation bent on the destruction of the human race. :roll:

Which is a very different matter to not having the buildings there at all

Morrowind didn't have buildings?

There are other examples of Daggerfall requiring imagination. For example, if you steal something, you are wanted by the guards, even if there was no NPC 'looking through the window' that you could see. Here, you could use your imagination, rather than gripe about everything not being graphically realised.

....Hasn't Morrowind been criticized for this same thing?

You will, of course, refuse to even try to understand any of this - which is a pattern of behaviour you exhibit here

ya i sux

And by the way, everyone seems to think I'm a "relentless defender" because I haven't voiced any complaints about Oblivion. What, do you think I like the removal of levitation and spears and etc? But I don't voice it because what exactly would be the point of doing that admist all the other Oblivion bashings? Would anyone really bother to take my criticism of Oblivion when there's so much other ones from people who enjoy doing it? It would just seem like I was trying to conform and be "kewl" like Levski.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Tintin said:
Which is a very different matter to not having the buildings there at all

Morrowind didn't have buildings?

Are you really that stupid? Or are you deliberately acting the dumbfuck?

Morrowind has LESS buildings than Daggerfall. It is in the order of a thousand times smaller. We were talking about using imagination to add a narrative flavour to a huge number of buildings (DF), as opposed to pretending entire towns and cities are there, which are not (MW).

It's not even that accurate. Daggerfall had plenty of detail within its buildings, and in fact had a ton more variety in cities that Morrowind, despite MW having tiny little hamlets pretending to be 'cities'.

Tintin said:
There are other examples of Daggerfall requiring imagination. For example, if you steal something, you are wanted by the guards, even if there was no NPC 'looking through the window' that you could see. Here, you could use your imagination, rather than gripe about everything not being graphically realised.

....Hasn't Morrowind been criticized for this same thing?

No.

Have you just come here from the TES boards, not having bothered to read any threads here? Or are you, once again, either astonishingly stupid, or deliberately playing the Dumbfuck? Which is it, Tintin?

Must I re-list all the criticisms of Morrowind, just for your benefit? For you to conveniently forget the next time you decide to type up shit and be an annoying pest?

Voltare

Liturgist
you're not going to like it, because they haven't learned anything from morrowind.....except how to squeeze more $ out of idiots.

Levski 1912

Scholar
It would just seem like I was trying to conform and be "kewl" like Levski.

Any proof, before you launch the ad hominem attacks?

See, I'll probably buy Oblivion, and probably enjoy it as an action game. Also, I happened to like KOTOR2 (which got bashed relentlessy here) and I thought MW alright when I first played it (except for all the bugs).

Balor

Arcane
Also, I happened to like KOTOR2 (which got bashed relentlessy here) and I thought MW alright when I first played it (except for all the bugs).
That's because few appreciate the 'Nietzschean' philosophy that is scattered in heaps in the game, and loads&loads of moral relativism - instead of usual Light&Dark dihotomy.
And, and bugs/imcompletines, but that's on the typical level of Troika games, and I found it not THAT much of a letdown compared to quantity and quality of story and dialogues.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Balor said:
Also, I happened to like KOTOR2 (which got bashed relentlessy here) and I thought MW alright when I first played it (except for all the bugs).
That's because few appreciate the 'Nietzschean' philosophy that is scattered in heaps in the game, and loads&loads of moral relativism - instead of usual Light&Dark dihotomy.
What a load of crap.

Data4

Arcane
Balor said:
And, and bugs/imcompletines, but that's on the typical level of Troika games, and I found it not THAT much of a letdown compared to quantity and quality of story and dialogues.

Nietzshean? So far, all I'm seeing is archetypes of American political parties representing the dark and light sides of the force. For example, I'm at Telos, and it's pretty obvious to me that to side with the evil Czerka corporation would lead me down the path to the dark side, while siding with the granola-eating agrarian Telosians would give me light side points. Don't have to be Carnak the Great to see the hidden message there.

-D4

Tintin

Arbiter
Any proof, before you launch the ad hominem attacks?

The fact that every post you make seems to be a collage of different Codex posts.

Tintin

Arbiter
First lets get the petty insults out of the way:

For you to conveniently forget the next time you decide to type up shit and be an annoying pest?

ya i sux.

Or are you, once again, either astonishingly stupid, or deliberately playing the Dumbfuck?

ya i sux

ya i sux

Okay, now lets search for some actual points in this post:

Morrowind has LESS buildings than Daggerfall. It is in the order of a thousand times smaller. We were talking about using imagination to add a narrative flavour to a huge number of buildings (DF), as opposed to pretending entire towns and cities are there, which are not (MW).

Oh I get it. So if they had just cloned Balmora's buildings a dozen times to make it a huge, but repetitive and boring city, we can now apply the "imagination rules!" rule.

Personally, what I find stupider is making a statement like "Which is a very different matter to not having the buildings there at all".

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Orgad said:
and yay for big pointy compass arrows telling us where to go.

Dear God please let there be an option to remove that.
Apparently, you can select which quest item/dungeon the compasss points to in your journal, so even if it cannot be turned off you should be able to set it to a minor quest you have no intention of completing yet (or at all).

Lumpy

Arcane
Or you can select a completed quest.
However, I can't understand, why on earth would they not put an option to turn it off? I can't see another reason except the game being screwed with the compass turned off.

golgotha

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
However, I can't understand, why on earth would they not put an option to turn it off? I can't see another reason except the game being screwed with the compass turned off.
If some people (read: morons) had trouble finding Caius, do you think they'd really be able to find the option to turn the compass on or off?

Tintin

Arbiter
golgotha said:
Lumpy said:
If some people (read: morons) had trouble finding Caius, do you think they'd really be able to find the option to turn the compass on or off?

......that was the lamest attempt to be funny I've ever read....Why would people who had trouble finding Caius want to turn of the compass in the first place exactly? And why would implementing being able to turn it off be for people who couldn't find Caius?

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Lumpy said:
I was unsure if you could select a completed quest, plus selecting a minor uncompleted one could be done earlier in the game. Personally, I would want to be able to disable/bypass it as early as possible.

I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't allow it to be turned off either, but then again I cannot think of a convincing reason (in role-playing terms) why it is there in the first place.

Lumpy

Arcane
Simple reason: there may be no written directions, to save voice acting costs. The only means of finding a destination might be by using the compass.

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
That would be an external design limitation rather than an internal reason. It would have made more sense in in-game terms to have the quest giver mark the place on your map as NPCs in Daggerfall did.

Edit: They could also have made the feature a limited duration spell that the character can use as and when (s)he sees fit. Something along the lines of the blue "seeker" elfstones in the Shannara books would work.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm pretty sure we'll be able to turn off the compass in the PC version through some type of console command or file hak.

golgotha

Liturgist
Tintin said:
......that was the lamest attempt to be funny I've ever read....Why would people who had trouble finding Caius want to turn of the compass in the first place exactly? And why would implementing being able to turn it off be for people who couldn't find Caius?
Because that IS their target audience.

Lumpy

Arcane
golgotha said:
Tintin said:
Fucking sigh. Did you read his post? Or did you only read the "Why... for the people who couldn't find caius" part?
Oh, sorry, I forgot, "reading" is teh hard even for the codexers.

golgotha

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
golgotha said:
Tintin said:
Fucking sigh. Did you read his post? Or did you only read the "Why... for the people who couldn't find caius" part?
His post was stating why they couldnt put the option to turn the compass on or off. My answer was the simple fact that this entire game is being aimed at the demograph that could NOT find Caius. Therefor there'd be no reason for the option because these are the same imbeciles that can't explore a town for three minutes. They've realized thats theres significantly more morons impressed with graphics willing to throw down their dollars than those who want gameplay.

Lumpy

Arcane
golgotha said:
Lumpy said:
golgotha said:
Tintin said:
His post was stating why they couldnt put the option to turn the compass on or off. My answer was the simple fact that this entire game is being aimed at the demograph that could NOT find Caius. Therefor there'd be no reason for the option because these are the same imbeciles that can't explore a town for three minutes. They've realized thats theres significantly more morons impressed with graphics willing to throw down their dollars than those who want gameplay.

Just read for fuck's sake:
Why would people who had trouble finding Caius want to turn of the compass in the first place exactly? And why would implementing being able to turn it off be for people who couldn't find Caius?

golgotha

Liturgist
You seem to not be able to grasp this. Let's put it this way..

There's no reason to implement an option. Their target fanbase would never turn it off anyhow as they can't go anywhere unless pointed by a glowing arrow or promises of new hairstyles for their PC, so what reason would they add the option?

Good enough for you, dick?

Watermark

Novice
Can somebody post a dev's quote confirming that you can't turn the compass off?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom