Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please tell me why I'm going to hate Oblivion

Lumpy

Arcane
golgotha said:
You seem to not be able to grasp this. Let's put it this way..

There's no reason to implement an option. Their target fanbase would never turn it off anyhow as they can't go anywhere unless pointed by a glowing arrow or promises of new hairstyles for their PC, so what reason would they add the option?

Good enough for you, dick?
You seem not to be able to read. Just read what he said. Again and again. Until you fucking comprehend it.

Why would people who had trouble finding Caius want to turn of the compass in the first place exactly? And why would implementing being able to turn it off be for people who couldn't find Caius?

golgotha

Liturgist
Watermark said:
Can somebody post a dev's quote confirming that you can't turn the compass off?

It’s a lifesaver to us and everyone who has played it. We should have done it long ago. We use it to show you where a goal is when we want you to know about it. A good example is the first quest in Morrowind, to find the Spymaster in Balmora. Most people who played Morrowind never find him, because they don’t like to read directions, they get confused and lost. Now picture him roaming around town, going to the store, eating at the tavern, locking his house at night. And you have a quest to talk to this guy, all you want is a little info so you can keep playing. He’s impossible to find without this quest target. And we want you to find him, we don’t want it to be a puzzle, or frustrating. So no, you cannot turn it off. Trust me, you cannot play without it, it’s not distracting at all, and it’s 100% necessary to find things we tell you to find.

http://www.oblivionportal.com/community ... erview.php

golgotha

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
You seem not to be able to read. Just read what he said. Again and again. Until you fucking comprehend it.
Hey Radio, did my original post not say the option to both turn it off or on? You're arguing over a pointless part of the reply to avoid the fucking point. RPG players are no longer the audience for this game, so why the fuck would they need to have an option? They don't, so eat shit.

Lumpy

Arcane
Watermark said:
to find things we tell you to find.

"sigh" So much for teh much-hyped freedom.[/b]
What exactly does that have to do with the lack of freedom?[/img][/url][/list][/list][/code][/quote][/u][/i][/b]

Tintin

Arbiter
Hmm....well this is a mess.

Okay, now let's run through it again:

Lumpy said: "why on earth would they not put an option to turn it off"

You said: "If some people (read: morons) had trouble finding Caius, do you think they'd really be able to find the option to turn the compass on or off?"

Now read my reply.

Wait for it to click.

If it takes more than a day just forget about it.

Lumpy

Arcane
The TES Forums members might not exactly be nobel prize winners, but the Codex has its fair share of morons. Mindless whiner morons though, rather than mindless fanboy morons. Both are equally disgusting, but one is more productive than the other.

AlanC9

Liturgist
golgotha said:
Watermark said:
Can somebody post a dev's quote confirming that you can't turn the compass off?

It’s a lifesaver to us and everyone who has played it. We should have done it long ago. We use it to show you where a goal is when we want you to know about it. A good example is the first quest in Morrowind, to find the Spymaster in Balmora. Most people who played Morrowind never find him, because they don’t like to read directions, they get confused and lost. Now picture him roaming around town, going to the store, eating at the tavern, locking his house at night. And you have a quest to talk to this guy, all you want is a little info so you can keep playing. He’s impossible to find without this quest target. And we want you to find him, we don’t want it to be a puzzle, or frustrating. So no, you cannot turn it off. Trust me, you cannot play without it, it’s not distracting at all, and it’s 100% necessary to find things we tell you to find.

Ye gods. This game really is going to suck. I thought people were overstating it.

How about adding an autonav feature too. Hit the autonav button and your character walks to the current objective.

Voltare

Liturgist
why do they keep saying it's a free form rpg?If they were to state" this is an action game, with a few rpg elements" from what i've heard and seen.....are they making an extended version of lord of the rings: return of the king?

Data4

Arcane
Watermark said:
To be fair, this interview is relatively old (05/08/26) so maybe they realized the error of their ways...

Classic denial, my friend.

This is such a contentious issue that if they HAD changed it, they'd be screaming from the rooftops that they've done so to try to win back people who were disgusted enough to refuse to play it with the GPS system.

-D4

Watermark

Novice
Frankly i don't see them screaming from the rooftops (although it would be a pretty sight) because according to the ESF posts that you guys keep linking to here, their target audience is fully satisfied with the way things are.

Tintin

Arbiter
Watermark said:
Frankly i don't see them screaming from the rooftops (although it would be a pretty sight) because according to the ESF posts that you guys keep linking to here, their target audience is fully satisfied with the way things are.

Not really, those are just the loudest ones. I'm sure they are aware there are people less than happy with decisions they've made about the compass and other stuff.

Drakron

Arcane
Watermark said:
"sigh" So much for teh much-hyped freedom.

Everyday I hear a different story
People saying that you're no good for me
"Saw your lover with another
And she's making a fool of you."
If you loved me baby you'd deny it
But you laugh and tell me I should try it
Tell me I'm a baby
And I don't understand
But you know that I'll forgive you
Just this once, twice forever
'Cause baby, you could drag me to hell and back
Just as long as we're together
And you do

I don't want your freedom
I don't want to play around
I don't want nobody baby
Part time love just brings me down
I don't NEED your freedom
Girl, all I want right now is you

Like a prisoner who has his own key
But I can't escape until you love me
I just go from day to day
Knowing all about the other boys
You take my hand and tell me
I'm a fool to give you all that I do
I bet you someday baby
Someone says the same to you

But you know that I'll forgive you
Just this once, twice forever
'Cause baby, you could drag me to hell and back
Just as long as we're together
And you do

I don't want your freedom
I don't want to play around
I don't want nobody baby
Part time love just brings me down
I don't NEED your freedom
Girl, all I want right now is you

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
What's so special about those pants?

their target audience is fully satisfied with the way things are.
Yeah, and Beth's target audience is such a demanding bunch, they're really particular about the attention to details, like if you can go fishing and arrange books on shelves, along with other crucial RPG elements.

As for the compass, there's not much PR value in allowing it to be turned off, is there?

Nutcracker

Scholar
Maybe they're hoping that by making the compass non-toggleable, constant use of it will cause the IQ of all those who play the game to drop enough to persuade them to buy the Xbox version of the next game in the series (not to mention all the "downloadable content" for Oblviion).

Watermark

Novice
Rat Keeng said:
What's so special about those pants?

Aw, don't worry honey. I'm sure you'll find a special girl/boy who's going to explain it to you.

As for the compass, there's not much PR value in allowing it to be turned off, is there?

Um, yes there is. The game is marketed as something that allows the gamer to play the way he wants to. An option to turn the compass off would mean more freedom of choice for the player. I see PR value in that.

P.S. Drakron, i'm forever yours!
Or at least 'til the time when somebody presents me with the mod to turn the compass off. :wink:

obediah

Erudite
He’s impossible to find without this quest target. And we want you to find him, we don’t want it to be a puzzle, or frustrating. So no, you cannot turn it off. Trust me, you cannot play without it, it’s not distracting at all, and it’s 100% necessary to find things we tell you to find.

This little bit right here is what cemented the doom of Oblivion for me. It also exemplifies everything about this game that has driven us into a tizzy.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
AlanC9 said:
How about adding an autonav feature too. Hit the autonav button and your character walks to the current objective.
I wouldn't mind really.

I mean, which is the better RPG, Fallout or Diablo? I don't need to navigate around manually. Such a feature would have been handy in Vivec or in Gothic. I like Gothic's world, but travelling does become a bit of a chore.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Watermark said:
Aw, don't worry honey. I'm sure you'll find a special girl/boy who's going to explain it to you.
I live in a cupboard, and I don't think there's anyone inhere besides me, so I guess I'll never know :cry:

That is a class interview that one, and it's very comforting to know, that even though you can't possibly play without that one feature, it doesn't distract you at all during the game.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Talshuler said:
Pr()ZaC said:
Considering that CHARACTER CREATION plays a huge part on a respectable RPG and adding your DF comment to the calculations, you'll really enjoy any RPGs where you don't need to worry about your player, besides its life energy, mana, strenght, speed and constitution - or - anything else that runs on a console.

My problem is that I enjoy the character creation too much, so although a detailed charcter creation system, and a following levelling system is great, it sometimes detracts from me roleplaying the game and instead tweaking with builds etc...

do yourself a favor and get into D&D quickly

and remember halfling/elf rouges rock

obediah

Erudite
Rat Keeng said:
That is a class interview that one, and it's very comforting to know, that even though you can't possibly play without that one feature, it doesn't distract you at all during the game.

trust them! :) Oblivion will be all things to all people. And if for some reason you lack faith in Bethesda, just ask their fans/focus group. Can 1400 illiterate 14 year olds who treat the ADHD with meth be wrong? I'm pretty sure on the box the #1 feature is "it brings you your mother fucking chocolate milk".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom