Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Wouldn't mind discussing the german degeneracy and the end of their "civilization".
The bread here is pretty good.
That is because you have never eaten one made by me :smug:. Any sliced bread is garbage for the pigs. Unipek make almost a bread tho,when i am lazy to make one i do buy from them. Also there was/is really good bakery around the eagle bridge.

Sales and player count are two very different things.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The rush of positive reviews tells you something about growing owner numbers on steam.

Mustawd

Seriously. PoE2 isn't even in that list...

Define "seriously". You can take it as seriously as a Rasmussen political poll.

As in the actual numbers meaning anything. All we know is that the numbers went up. We don't know by how much. And we don't know what they are. And we don't know where they started. And we also don't know what the avg sales price is.

So basically "PoE2 numbers went up" doesn't mean much when we're in the middle of a sale period bro. PoE2 is currently less than 70% of its value in the US. Yay? Maybe?

Mustawd

Seriously. PoE2 isn't even in that list...
Download the csv.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire," 203,867

Including review keys and the 33k of people who donated to Fig (ofc not assuming all of them would be on Steam, but likely a majority), then I'd say the number is pretty accurate when you take into account 200-250k unique sales at end of September (as I estimated using the dividend from Fig). However, what's the point here? It was a one-time leak and as the article says:

Because this data is derived directly from Steam's API for each game, it ends up much more precise than the old Steam Gauge/Steam Spy estimation methods, which relied on random sampling of a small portion of the Steam player base.

By July 4, Valve updated its Steam API to provide much less precision in its Achievement percentages, cutting off this new data source altogether.

imweasel

^
Those numbers appear to be very off judging from the dividends that fig investors received. PoE 2 was released just a month before they were generated, so they couldn't be too accurate anyway.

Anyway, I think most Codexers will start to accept that Deadfire flopped real hard by the time Obsidian/fig send out the next dividends to investors.

Mustawd

I guess popular opinion is a good arbiter of quality after all. Off to buy a copy of Fallout 4 which popular opinion says was superior to New Vegas. Evening fellas.

Where are you getting that? From everyone I've talked to I've heard Deadfire is a lot more fun than PoE1. I've heard differing opinions about the writing though.

A lot of people, myself included, think PoE1's success was hyped, out of nostalgia, and not a real indication of how a sequel would do. I don't think the majority of people here are saying bad sales are an indicator of PoE2's failure as a game. If anything it's linking it to PoE1's failure as a game.

2house2fly

Magister
I was specifically responding to this post, not realising there was a whole other page after it:
To put it another way.. the Solo movie didn't bomb because everyone hated Solo.. it bombed because people had saw all the previous star wars movies. PoE1 killed PoE2.

Which proves even more that all the PoE 1 shills that dragged their disgusting faces across their keyboard - don't know shit about game design or what makes a game fun.
Using the unstated opinions of the majority of PoE1's players to declare your own dislike of the game objective fact seems specious. There are plenty of things a lot of people like which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, but when those same people dislike something I also dislike, they're correct?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I guess popular opinion is a good arbiter of quality after all. Off to buy a copy of Fallout 4 which popular opinion says was superior to New Vegas. Evening fellas.

Where are you getting that? From everyone I've talked to I've heard Deadfire is a lot more fun than PoE1. I've heard differing opinions about the writing though.

A lot of people, myself included, think PoE1's success was hyped, out of nostalgia, and not a real indication of how a sequel would do. I don't think the majority of people here are saying bad sales are an indicator of PoE2's failure as a game. If anything it's linking it to PoE1's failure as a game.
There is not much difference between the two games,poe2 have more fluff but less content. Also most of that content is also shit.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The rush of positive reviews tells you something about growing owner numbers on steam.
Microsoft power of corruption.

More like the power of vanity on Steam users. It's because of The Steam Awards voting, since leaving a review for a game you nominate gives you upgrade to the Steam badge. So it's mostly from the existing owners.

You can see the rush of positive reviews on almost every game that is not irrelevant or obscure at this point. (And for comparison, Pathfinder received twice the positive reviews PoE 2 received during Autumn Sale to date. Relatively recent game after all.)

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

I would say it is more evenly mediocre. PoE had some great writing but it was horribly uneven, thematically inconsistent and didn't use the setting in its storytelling (factions are irrelevant, soul plague doesn't matter, companions are not tied to the main plot at all outside of avellones characters).

Writing ln Deadfire on the other hand ranges mostly from mediocre to painfully bad (player responses are the main offender of the latter kind) while at the same time ties its world building and writing together much better.

Overall I would say that deadfire is less reliant on its writing due to better design but the writing itself is worse.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

It is. Yes, i am saying it, all things considered, Fallout 4 is a better game than New Vegas. Note that i am not saying "better RPG". It is NOT a better RPG than New Vegas, obviously... BUT it IS a BETTER GAME than New Vegas. There's more to gaming than C&C. Spergs on these forums seem to disagree, but they are in the wrong...

Why it is a better game?

a) Far better shooting mechanics and gameplay loop than New Vegas. I enjoyed combat in Fallout 4 a great deal more than New Vegas. New Vegas combat is a chore and obsolete.

b) Far better graphic quality and especially sound quality. I really enjoyed listening to the sound of my guns in 4.

c) A nice settlement mechanic allowed us to create our own cities and bases. It was fun. I enjoyed it. A nice time waster.

d) I enjoyed crafting and modding my own guns. Could be better implemented, but it was nice.

e) I really enjoyed what they did with power armor.

In the end, i enjoyed Fallout 4 far more than New Vegas. I find replaying New Vegas a chore these days, even with mods, while i love to waste time shooting baddies in FO4.

Yes, as far as RPG elements are concerned, New Vegas is leagues ahead, but as a game, it is GARBAGE compared to FO4. And since people can enjoy good games despite if they are true RPGs or not, FO4 was far more popular. It is not rocket science.

Lhynn

Arcane
New vegas has better exploration and world building and questing, and thats like 90% of the game, so its really no contest. Fallout 4 is an abomination.

I did like the power armor better, but i hated the retarded mechanic attached to it, so i didnt get to enjoy it.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
New vegas has better exploration and world building and questing, and thats like 90% of the game, so its really no contest. Fallout 4 is an abomination.

I did like the power armor better, but i hated the retarded mechanic attached to it, so i didnt get to enjoy it.

Better exploration? No. New Vegas was a linear game, unless you cheesed your way north of goodsprings. Fallout 4 has a far bigger map and you are free to explore it all as you see fit. I don't see how it has "better exploration", unless we have different definitions of what "better exploration" is.

Better world building? I will give you that. New Vegas settlements had more character and there were more of them. Also more and arguably better NPCs. Surely the world in New Vegas is more memorable, the factions, the NPCs, the quests. Sure. I agree with that.

But as a game, that means, GAME-PLAY, Fallout 4 was league aheads of New Vegas, sorry. And that IS 90% of the game... When i want to shoot zombies to let off some steam, i play FO4, not New Vegas. New Vegas gameplay is a fucking chore and i hate it. I liked the worldbuilding and the quests but i have already done them, no need to replay-them if the gameplay is not enjoyable.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
By the way, i finally completed a 100% playthrough of the original PoE with all expansions. I had played it to around the middle of the story 3 years ago but i never finished it until now.

And i got to say, it is an excellent modern Baldur's Gate successor. I really liked it in a lot of ways and it certainly deserved the critical acclaim it got. It deserved more sales.

After completing it, i have to say that anyone who claims it was bad or mediocre, is a moron. An imbecile. A covert popamoler. If you actually like CRPGs there is no way you didn't like PoE... Especially considering how many garbage games get praises here...

I began playing PoE II today and it seems like an improvement. Will reserve judgement for when i have a 100% playthrough of it, but i think most people who criticize PoE games are not real RPG fans. No way.

Black Angel

Arcane
Petition to tag TemplarGR with
bethestard.png

Codex Year of the Donut

Better exploration? No. New Vegas was a linear game, unless you cheesed your way north of goodsprings. Fallout 4 has a far bigger map and you are free to explore it all as you see fit. I don't see how it has "better exploration", unless we have different definitions of what "better exploration" is.

Better world building? I will give you that. New Vegas settlements had more character and there were more of them. Also more and arguably better NPCs. Surely the world in New Vegas is more memorable, the factions, the NPCs, the quests. Sure. I agree with that.

But as a game, that means, GAME-PLAY, Fallout 4 was league aheads of New Vegas, sorry. And that IS 90% of the game... When i want to shoot zombies to let off some steam, i play FO4, not New Vegas. New Vegas gameplay is a fucking chore and i hate it. I liked the worldbuilding and the quests but i have already done them, no need to replay-them if the gameplay is not enjoyable.
FONV had better exploration because it had actual interesting locations worth exploring you dip
FO4 was just a bunch of empty buildings randomly placed around the map

This stems directly from Bethesda viewing Fallout as a post-apocalyptic game where the world is in a perpetual state of disrepair instead of a post-post-apocalyptic game where civilization is being rebuilt.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
FONV had better exploration because it had actual interesting locations worth exploring you dip
FO4 was just a bunch of empty buildings randomly placed around the map

This stems directly from Bethesda viewing Fallout as a post-apocalyptic game where the world is in a perpetual state of disrepair instead of a post-post-apocalyptic game where civilization is being rebuilt.

I disagree. It had plenty of interesting locations to visit and i enjoyed them. What you meant to say was that it had less POPULATED locations to visit, on which i agree. Yes, Bethesda should have made more actual cities for people to visit, no argument against that. But the Fallout 4 map still had a lot of interesting buildings and places to visit for loot/fights. Plus the world was more varied, instead of just an empty desert like New Vegas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom