Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity PoE II: Deadfire Sales Analysis Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't know, there must be something to it. How can a single-player game generate over a billion dollars in profit and years of enthusiastic engagement from fans without doing something right?

Let them be, they are edgy idiots who want to go against anything "mainstream" so they can think they are above the "plebs". They go against the grain. They are the "cool kids".

Obviously no one buys something he does not enjoy. The fact that Skyrim is still, 7 complete years after its release, still relevant today, speaks volumes about its quality. Unless those edgelords believe that Todd Howard placed a gun on everyone's head to open our wallets and buy the game...

Whether they like it or not, Skyrim IS an RPG, and it IS hugely successful. And no matter what they claim, i am willing to bet it is installed on their systems too. :P
So is Baldur's Gate 20 years after its release. And if we put together all the sales of Bg1 + BG2 + GoG versions+ Bg1EE + BG2EE+ SoD I would bet it gets close to 10 million copies.

Nuclear Explosion

Commercial success =/= masterpiece.
I don't know, there must be something to it. How can a single-player game generate over a billion dollars in profit and years of enthusiastic engagement from fans without doing something right?

Britney Spears made a ton of money in the early 2000s. While some are ok pop songs no one would call it masterpieces of music.

Consensus around here is that Skyrim is a fun action game, but mostly fails in the RPG department.
It's a bad action game. It doesn't even get the basics right; its melee combat is floaty.

ArchAngel

Arcane
skyrim is an okay hiking larping game
It is not even an OK hiking game. I reinstalled it once again with mods 1 year ago so see if it is any better now after so many years (I could only stand to play it after release for a very short time). I told myself I would not teleport around but I would hike/ride everywhere. That only managed to last for 10h or so before I got fed up. And soon after I got fed up with the rest of the "gameplay". Not even mods can save that shitty game.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
As for the world DA world building is better than PoE anyway. It actually has a mystery towards which the plot is building. The story telling is simply hampered by bad writing and agenda based tone.

PoE has no mystery and bad writing.

Tyranny, also by Obsidian, as a good plot and mystery. However I am still playing it, so I don't know if it screws up at the end.

(Hi, first post in this forum)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As for the world DA world building is better than PoE anyway. It actually has a mystery towards which the plot is building. The story telling is simply hampered by bad writing and agenda based tone.

Tyranny, also by Obsidian, as a good plot and mystery. However I am still playing it, so I don't know if it screws up at the end.

Mustawd

If you were to think of Skyrim as an action game, it's literally among the worst, almost PS1 tier.

I said it was fun. Cuz it appears to be fun seeing that so many codexers here have played it for hundreds of hours.

If you wanna argue how it compares to other pure action games be my guest, but ppl are obviously having fun with it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

:shredder:
You must be a magician,99% of first post get ether shit rated in to oblivion or ignored. For a first time i see first post get that much positivity. How many child's hearths have you sacrificed to achieve such a miracle?

Funposter

Arcane

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So, Steam Autumn Sale. Let's check out RPG (things tagged "RPG") top seller list!: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=122&os=win&filter=globaltopsellers

#01 Monster Hunter
#04 D:OS 2
#05 Witcher 3 GOTY
#06 Fallout 4 GOTY
#09 Skyrim :todd:
#10 Kingdom Come
#27 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
#40 Star Control: Origins
#44 New Vegas Ultimate
#49 Thronebreaker
#51 ELEX
#60 NWN:EE
#62 D:OS EE
#75 Fallout 3 GOTY
#86 PoE 2

:dead:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are zero comments about the last DLC announcement on GOG, while literally random stuff has at least 1.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The intense lack of interest this game generates is a bit perplexing, it is not that bad and it has decent reviews.

Were people really that badly burned by PoE?

Does it somehow come off like a glorified expansion to a game people didn't much like?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom