Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pokemon Sword and Shield

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I would add that Nocturne's animations work just fine since these are meant to be demons, i.e. whatever strangeness to the animations one may find is justified by them being otherworldly beings. But Pokémon should feel lively.

Funposter

Arcane
Yeah but HM usage was lessened, at least I remember never bothering to have the usual HM slave poke.

Yes. I think the only HM use required in gen 5 was Surf (which is a good move anyways) and a single use of cut.

I may be misremembering, but I feel like you also needed to use Strength to get through Victory Road, or deal with some obstacles in the lead up to it. Again, not the worst thing that could ever happen, especially since many mons in Gen V had such garbage level up movepools anyway.

I think the best implementation of HMs I've seen (beyond removing them) has been in Drayano romhacks, particularly of HGSS - Rock Smash is inreased to 60BP (usable, especially for technician mons), Cut is changed to Grass type and again increased to 60BP, and Strength is changed to a 75BP Rock type move. This improves the coverage available to a lot of mons, lets others (like Scizor and the new Technician Weavile) deal with bulky waters, and generally makes HMs feel less unbearable. You're even excited to receive some of them. I think that the biggest problem with them will always be that they restrict team composition, especially in generation 2 onward, where you are essentially forced to carry around a Water type mon, since the distribution of Waterfall, in particular, is so limited. This is especially true in HGSS and ORAS, where you have 3 Water HMs which are split between Physical and Special, meaning that unless you want to turn your Water poke into an HM slave (or just use one) you need to carry a physical Water mon and a special Water mon.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
In BW2 you certainly needed Strength to pass the victory road.

Drop this shit and go play Digimon. There you get at least 1 well animated moves for every digimon (400+), every digimon has a walk cycle and you capture and use a Nun with Guns Digimon. Best game.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I may be misremembering, but I feel like you also needed to use Strength to get through Victory Road, or deal with some obstacles in the lead up to it. Again, not the worst thing that could ever happen, especially since many mons in Gen V had such garbage level up movepools anyway.

I think the best implementation of HMs I've seen (beyond removing them) has been in Drayano romhacks, particularly of HGSS - Rock Smash is inreased to 60BP (usable, especially for technician mons), Cut is changed to Grass type and again increased to 60BP, and Strength is changed to a 75BP Rock type move. This improves the coverage available to a lot of mons, lets others (like Scizor and the new Technician Weavile) deal with bulky waters, and generally makes HMs feel less unbearable. You're even excited to receive some of them. I think that the biggest problem with them will always be that they restrict team composition, especially in generation 2 onward, where you are essentially forced to carry around a Water type mon, since the distribution of Waterfall, in particular, is so limited. This is especially true in HGSS and ORAS, where you have 3 Water HMs which are split between Physical and Special, meaning that unless you want to turn your Water poke into an HM slave (or just use one) you need to carry a physical Water mon and a special Water mon.
Drayano's Blaze Black/Volt White romhacks are top tier and so far above all the other romhacks that I consider the rest unplayable. What you describe is a big reason why. Another thing Drayano does really well is make gym battles and even regular trainer battles not just more challenging, but more interesting through clever choice in pokemon typings, abilities, and immunities for each and every opponent.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I think I'm just going to play Blaze Black instead of Shield because I've been playing Gen 8 on Showdown for a bit and I think Dynamax/Gigamax is the most broken and unfun mechanic Game Freak has ever made.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't tried any Drayano rom hack, but the HM revamp looks interesting. Although I'd still rather have HM to not be tied as attack moves, or have several moves share the same out of battle utility.

like Scizor and the new Technician Weavile..
Weavile with technician sounds really good on paper and better than the original one's abilities: pickpocket and pressure, the former is useless now because It can learn the far superior Knock Off, the latter is useable only with protect since the critter has abysmal physical defense and mediocre special.

Funposter

Arcane
I haven't tried any Drayano rom hack, but the HM revamp looks interesting. Although I'd still rather have HM to not be tied as attack moves, or have several moves share the same out of battle utility.

like Scizor and the new Technician Weavile..
Weavile with technician sounds really good on paper and better than the original one's abilities: pickpocket and pressure, the former is useless now because It can learn the far superior Knock Off, the latter is useable only with protect since the critter has abysmal physical defense and mediocre special.

Tech Weavile is pretty bonkers. Rock Smash is buffed up to 90BP, making it a consistent Fighting type move, obviously Ice Shard becomes comparable to stuff like Techniloom Mach Punch and Scizor Bullet Punch, and the changed to Cut means it has a way to deal with bulky waters if need be. It also means that you can use Thief as your primary Dark type STAB which, again, makes Pickpocket a pointless ability. I highly recommend all of the HGSS, BW2 and Platinum hacks. Renegade Platinum, in particular, introduces the Fairy type, making it pretty up to date with modern mechanics.

Garbage

Learned
So Sword and Shield being abysmal made me shell out for Digimon Cyber Sleuth on the Switch instead.
I already played it back on the Vita, and I still want to fuck Rie Kishibe.

hackersmemoryJP20th_4artbook_082cybersleuth.jpg

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
So Sword and Shield being abysmal made me shell out for Digimon Cyber Sleuth on the Switch instead.
I already played it back on the Vita, and I still want to fuck Rie Kishibe.

hackersmemoryJP20th_4artbook_082cybersleuth.jpg

She's thot and a
Digimon
tho.

Also Nokia and rina are way better.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tech Weavile is pretty bonkers. Rock Smash is buffed up to 90BP, making it a consistent Fighting type move, obviously Ice Shard becomes comparable to stuff like Techniloom Mach Punch and Scizor Bullet Punch, and the changed to Cut means it has a way to deal with bulky waters if need be. It also means that you can use Thief as your primary Dark type STAB which, again, makes Pickpocket a pointless ability. I highly recommend all of the HGSS, BW2 and Platinum hacks. Renegade Platinum, in particular, introduces the Fairy type, making it pretty up to date with modern mechanics.

I'll give em a try on my old 3ds. The last romhack I played was Dio Vento's Penumbra Moon; pretty fun battles with NPCs using competitive strategies, however It mostly revamps shop items and NPC/wild encounters, the rest of the game remains vanilla, which means going through all the shitty forced cutscenes and the boring map design.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
This looks like hot garbage. Hopefully pokemon sage is actually finished sometime soon, otherwise platinum and emerald romhacks are the only thing left worth playing.

Garbage

Learned
This looks like hot garbage. Hopefully pokemon sage is actually finished sometime soon, otherwise platinum and emerald romhacks are the only thing left worth playing.

Black & White 2 are actually pretty good games with a fair amount of content. I'd go so far as to say the last good Pokémon games.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
BW2 has actually have shit like character devemploment , a decent story , cool villians and the post game is quite long.

PTW , White Tree and that Black Tower battle arenas with a super boss + shiny , that Trains battles , fight against N , Alder , Cheren , Bianca post game , there's Looker's side quest too , ton of legendary to get , Memory links that explain shit like why that three gym leaders of the first gym didn't fough against T.Plasma at the end of BW1 , why N is missing , how Iris got to be a champion , why the ice gym dude left , etc.

BW1 and 2 tell a complete story and most unique take on pokemon and might say the last time tha they gave a fuck.

Edit: Btw Did mentioned that after beat once you unlock Challenge Mode?

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Black & White 2 are actually pretty good games with a fair amount of content. I'd go so far as to say the last good Pokémon games.
I agree, I think Gen 3-5 were the sweet spots in the franchise where it peaked although in black/white the region design took a massive nose dive into a nearly straight path. Agreed that they were the last good pokemon games.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

I agree, I think Gen 3-5 were the sweet spots in the franchise where it peaked although in black/white the region design took a massive nose dive into a nearly straight path. Agreed that they were the last good pokemon games.
Gen 3 sucked the rigid cock of Satan, dude. Gen 2 was the sweet spot for me, but I can totally get the appeal of Gens 4 and 5; they tried some pretty interesting shit mechanics-wise, the metagame was sent to the gamedev equivalent of bootcamp, and you get entire new regions to explore in 3d (without the Pokemon being bastardized into 3d models as well). Hell, Gen 5 even managed to have the first credible antagonist/"evil organization" since Team Rocket! There were plenty of things I didn't like too (the soundtrack to Pokemon never did quite recover from losing Masuda to a Directorship role, for example), but overall the games were definitely more good than bad. You can't say that about Gen 3: it's mediocre in nearly every way.

Vorark

Erudite
BW1 had killer tracks tho, still remember these and it's been almost ten years since I last played:

(almost straight out from the Chrono Trigger soundtrack)

This game was so good, to me it felt like a nice sendoff for the whole series. In hindsight, it probably was. BW2 never felt as satisfying, despite the huge amount of content. BW1 was just tight.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Gen 3 sucked the rigid cock of Satan, dude. Gen 2 was the sweet spot for me, but I can totally get the appeal of Gens 4 and 5; they tried some pretty interesting shit mechanics-wise, the metagame was sent to the gamedev equivalent of bootcamp, and you get entire new regions to explore in 3d (without the Pokemon being bastardized into 3d models as well). Hell, Gen 5 even managed to have the first credible antagonist/"evil organization" since Team Rocket! There were plenty of things I didn't like too (the soundtrack to Pokemon never did quite recover from losing Masuda to a Directorship role, for example), but overall the games were definitely more good than bad. You can't say that about Gen 3: it's mediocre in nearly every way.
Besides switching gen 2 and 3 you pretty much nailed it.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant

Besides switching gen 2 and 3 you pretty much nailed it.
06b

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom