Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor in 2018

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Martyr, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    What's the included novel? I hope for your sake it's not the 1989 one by James Ward & Jane Hong, because that is the purest dogshit. I don't think I made it much past page 20, and I've managed to finish several of Ed Greenwood's Elminster novels.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. smileyninja Educated

smileyninja
    Checked out a video of the Collector's Edition and noticed it had multiplayer. Then I read the manual and it looks like some kind of procedural generation was done on the underground dungeon levels because they can change. Might be why the underground levels were so horrendous in the single player game- developers probably generated a dungeon and tweaked it slightly.

^ Top  
  3. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    I love that game, I finished it 3 or 4 times, but it's clearly not for everyone. This being said :
    I think you're good to go.

As for mods, official patching is enough but I also used a character editor in my latest runs, to choose my own feats.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Filthy Sauce Arbiter

Filthy Sauce
    Someone dug through my trash bin last night... Was going to blame the racoons.

^ Top  
  5. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    [​IMG]
    Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor

And here is the PNP module.

[​IMG]

Pool of Radiance - Assault on Myth Drannor D&D 3.5

Obviously you know about the computer game:
    [​IMG]
    POR - Ruins of Myth Drannor

You can still buy the pdf for $7.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Yeah I remember playing this and leveling up and not being able to chose my feats and quitting right there.

^ Top  
  7. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    One of the main problems.

The outdoor areas actually looked pretty good, but most of the game is set underground with the same tileset and monsters repeated over and over (and over) again. I remember emerging from one of those endless dungeons back into a bright outdoor area and it really felt like I'd just emerged from an endless tunnel of darkness into the light...

I wouldn't recommend it - there are far better timesinks than this game around. The payoff is not worth the drudge.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I’m looking at my assault on Myth Drannor pdf and I’m not seeing a lot for maps.

Prima’s guide is ok (I think my pdf copy is a poor scan). I usually look at back to back to back CRPG/novel/pnp as an idea to piece together more for a pnp campaign. The original pools this worked ok (though the novel references and actual novel was kind of bleak).

I thought the old WOTC archives had some extra maps and side quests but I don’t think so. Maybe there’s a decent walkthrough site. I never looked since I long lost a machine to play it on. (Doubt my win10 lap top would work easily).

I find Myth Drannor to be lacking in maps (as I don’t own every product).

^ Top  
  9. Micormic Unwanted

Unwanted
    Jeez that's a strange game to ask for, for christmas. lol.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Martyr Magister

Martyr
    I demand a Beamdog "remaster" so we can highlight secret doors !! :outrage:

all is well as long as enemies don't start approaching from 1 mile away :D

that's just my individual form of autism: I feel like I have to play games in the exact state they were in as they were released. gog only offering Gothic 3 with the Community Patch or KotoR 2 with Restored Content Mod breaks my heart.
    ideally I would have played the game way back in 2001 but I was too young then and only played the mainstream RPGs like Icewind Dale, Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

games that were mediocre in the past have become shining masterpieces in the present day of cutscene-heavy action "RPGs".
    and you did finish it, so it can't be as bad as people always say it is.

I guess Troika learned from Myth Drannor. from what little I've seen of Myth Drannor, it looks pretty similar to ToEE, so I wouldn't be surprised if Troika wanted to make a better 3rd edition D&D game in the same style as MD.

I'm actually interested in the first PoR novel as well, but that one isn't easily available in germany. would also love to read the Thunderscape books, because I really liked Thunderscape's setting and atmosphere.

seems like this game is an acquired taste. from now on until christmas I'm going to play Bard's Tale 4, PoE 2 and Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and I think these games will help me appreciate Myth Drannor more, if you know what I mean.

to be fair I was wearing my racoon costume, so technically you would be right ... #FurryPride

sounds pretty immersive :incline:

I was planning on playing this game mostly on my Win10 laptop :|

asked for another strange game, or games. the Rhem Quadrology, a series of hardcore Myst-clones :smug:
    sure, I could have asked for Dishonored 2 or Pillars 2: Deadfire, but I'm sick and tired of having these empty DVD-boxes with a steam-code in them, I wanted an old-school multi-CD game with a printed manual to read before playing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    ^ Top  
  12. Micormic Unwanted

Unwanted
    That part I get, I just think there's better choices then ROMD.

If I still had my box box of it I would of mailed it to you for free. Don't remember if I sold it on ebay or chucked it.

^ Top  
  13. Martyr Magister

Martyr
    thanks for the link, they've also got the Thunderscape novel !

I don't think I have that many RPGs left to play, because I've played most of the older RPGs on CD/DVD, gog/steam and abandonware sites. I know Ruins of Myth Drannor is also available on myabandonware but I've always wanted the CE since I've seen the unboxing video of that shithead in the forest.
    and hopefully you sold your copy :?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Eh, no, doesn't work that way. It's still a mediocre game.
    But that's it. It's just very mediocre, not horrible. So, as I said - play it, and if you enjoy it enough to keep playing it (or your autism outweighs the boredom, as was probably the case for me), then fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Serus Arcane

Serus
    Then I assume You also play Pathfinder: Kingmaker in version 1.0 - "in the exact state it was released"?
    Good luck.
    :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    That would be so niiiiiiice, characters would become genderless and they'd be able to romance each other, also, for more incline, they'd be side quests to romance the orc chieftain before the dungeon and then to romance a mage skeleton ... and a dog (there wasn't any but it'd wouldn't be too much of a hassle to add one, right ? ) .. and a sheep ? And ... well, i guess that's enough even for them.

What i meant is each dungeon level is huge, secret doors are really secret and i think you need to go through some of them to exit the dungeon, it's not just extra treasure, for example i think a set of stairs is hidden behind a secret panel.
    They brought that shit to the next level, you could run around the whole level 4 times without finding the exit.

So think about it during the character creation.

^ Top  
  17. slymer Educated Patron

slymer
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I bought this game used off of Amazon, but it came with a Lord of The Rings DVD inside, so I never played it.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • nice nice x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. The Old Kiwi Educated

The Old Kiwi
    Hmm? I cannot recall a single favorable review from the release period of the game. It certainly went from main shelf to bargain bin in a big hurry!

Of all (original game) Gold Box games, PoR had been the worst of those in its day! I played it in MS-DOS after it was converted, and thus, after I played most of the other Gold Box games.

I've never had the slightest interest in changing my opinion!

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Martyr

Found a fix for POR 2 crawling combat speed in the sorcere's place.

And i finally could download the compatibility program to fix the transparent bug issue, i think i'll give it another shot. :bounce:

^ Top  
  20. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Well, i tried a fix for the transparent glitch, didn't work, also, i forgot about the false TB thing with a timer.

Not worth the effort.

^ Top  
  21. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    You can stop the timer by sliding it to the lowest position, you then have infinite time to make your turns.

^ Top  
  22. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Ah, thanks, didn't bother too much with trying to configure it because of the display bug, it's unplayable anyway.

^ Top  
  23. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    Did you try disabling hardware acceleration ?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    People mod and fix other games why not this one? Or how about the deepest darkest most dastardly dungeon crawl of them all:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Rage Rage x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ProphetSword Arcane Developer

ProphetSword
    Anyone who thinks the original POR is the worst of the Gold Box games should have their license to play CRPGs revoked.

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.