Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor in 2018

Glop_dweller

Prophet
...I can only say one thing: yes, Ruins isn't as complex, deep and tactical as Temple. but it still is a damn good RPG.
I didn't think it was a good RPG at all. The game limits the distance of the party members to just a few feet from each other; try roleplaying a stalking thief with an armored warrior in tow.

*It's a beautiful game; especially for its time, but its a poor RPG.

The designers got flak for the [admirably] realistic shambling undead; they were seen by some as too slow.
With the patch they all became Olympic sprinter undead.

rojay

Scholar
This thread prompted me to look into the game and I discovered that there are a few levels that are not underground dungeons. I bought it on CD when it was released, and still have the manual somewhere. I may reinstall it at some point if I have a stroke and am capable of fighting 300 skeletons/orcs/orogs/lizard men in beige rooms over 43 hours.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Nice to see this thread bumped, but I'll be damned if I have the slightest idea what this is supposed to mean.:?

45 - OROGS & THE DRAGON WORD

Return to this area after you've reached the Speculum Grounds and you will meet some Orogs Veterans. They will ask you to fight with them against the Cult to retrieve the Helm Cleaver. If you agree to help them they will teach you the Dragon Word that opens any door marked with the Glyph of Claw.

After you've finished talking to them travel north to area #47 and enter the Cult Stronghold.

NOTE: Areas #46 - 49 are only accessible after you have learned the Dragon Word.

s29FiYP.jpg

https://www.mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=pool2
If game banshee is a problem then MOCAGH has a pdf guide to the game.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Sorry if I'm being dense here, but why do you awaken a ten months dormant thread to bring up this part of the Gamebanshee walkthrough ? Who asked about area 45 ? Or about a walkthrough ? Who the fuck are you talking to ? I've read all 6 pages of the thread and I still fail to get it. :(

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Man, I swore I was replying to a question asked. One glass of wine couldn't have made me hallucinate. Maybe I had two forums up. Damned if I know who I was responding to. Damn odd. Oh well.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
This thread prompted me to look into the game and I discovered that there are a few levels that are not underground dungeons. I bought it on CD when it was released, and still have the manual somewhere. I may reinstall it at some point if I have a stroke and am capable of fighting 300 skeletons/orcs/orogs/lizard men in beige rooms over 43 hours.
Don't use the CD. The original (unpatched) game could wipe the C: Drive if uninstalled.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Honestly, that alone has kept me from installing even the iso. Time to find a junker pc. Fucking tards who created that issue.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Only thing that doesn't make sense is people praising this shit game and pretending it does anything good. HOLY FUKK NUTZ.. I'd say I'd expect better.. but, it's the Codex... so I don't. LMAO

rojay

Scholar
That map represents 87% of the areas in the game. If you are aroused by shades of brown, this is your game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Sorry for the confusion but how did you managed to read my deleted post KeighnMcDeath ? When I did that then thread went back to previous page(s).
It was just another case where you made post and then -problem solved itself moments later.

To clarify what was in my deleted post - both GameBanshee and other guides mention this
45 - OROGS & THE DRAGON WORD
Return to this area after you've reached the Speculum Grounds and you will meet some Orogs Veterans. They will ask you to fight with them against the Cult to retrieve the Helm Cleaver. If you agree to help them they will teach you the Dragon Word that opens any door marked with the Glyph of Claw.
After you've finished talking to them travel north to area #47 and enter the Cult Stronghold.

NOTE: Areas #46 - 49 are only accessible after you have learned the Dragon Word.

What's the problem? They're not here, neither in Speculum Grounds or in the [45] in the Halls of Light.
All guides (except one from GameFaq) forgot to mention that you need to start certain events before you start assault on cultists stronghold (which is just another room in the dungeon, what a letdown).

What you need to do is to reach the surface first (find some ring in House of Gem Tower which activate portal, talk with mage in the Hall of Wizards, get there via teleport), then come back to House of Gem Tower to find these orogs mentioned in [45].
It was late and I was confused.

All that to learn not one but two power words.

BTW. I'm coming close

Reached 3rd level of the drow catacombs only to hit another doors with some rune, turns out I "forgot" to visit Nightingale Court on the surface and now - I have to resurface again. :argh:

Thanks to speedhacks from Cheat Engine walking is not an issue.
But yeah, limted camera + map lacking details, like doors that you can pass? Not a pleasant part.

Another issue is lack of precise info - good luck forming chokepoints in the doors from certain angle. You either slam the doors and waste turns or run around getting smacked by Attack of Opportunity by enemy who should get his by you but game pathfindind is atrocious and send your people around.
And don't get me started with AoE spells.

One surface level (Stillwater), 4 underground levels, few maps on the surface and then another 4 underground levels.
I feel like begining in this game is the hardest in all RPGs I've played due to sheer size of first dungeon(s). I didn't asked for small basement for a starter bug jfc that's like totally oposite.

Game crashed only once, without message.
Other bug? Jarial (NPC, mage, can join your team) had issues with his baggage - somehow it reached 322/200 (Very Heavy) with 16 STR, he had one spear +5, bow +5 and a bunch of potions, salvas and scrolls. Then hours later it was back to Light weight. Used restoration and some rests few times but didn't work.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Other bug? Jarial (NPC, mage, can join your team) had issues with his baggage - somehow it reached 322/200 (Very Heavy) with 16 STR, he had one spear +5, bow +5 and a bunch of potions, salvas and scrolls. Then hours later it was back to Light weight. Used restoration and some rests few times but didn't work.
It may come from rings : there's a ring that increases carried weight by... a lot, even if you don't wear it. Just having it in your inventory is enough. Another ring decreases carried weight by the same amount, btw.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Looks like game starts shitting the bed.
I'm playing on WinXP machine with disabled Direct3D acceleration in Run->MSCONFIG->directx tab. Without this step graphics are flickering badly. Nothing helped - dgvoodoo, dxwind, patches and else.
I'm in 4th level of Drow Catacombs aka Prison and there is room in southeastern corner with some trapped doors, getting there cause CTD.

Good moment to fail, game...
I can avoid this place but then have to give up on best weapon in the game - The Draedsweord Daemoniac

It may come from rings : there's a ring that increases carried weight by... a lot, even if you don't wear it. Just having it in your inventory is enough. Another ring decreases carried weight by the same amount, btw.

That might be the case, I did some changes in the equipement, most protective and stat boosting items didn't work anyway.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dungeons might be too brown but Ultima 6 dungeons were too red and ultima 8 also too bland. Ultima 3 too gray or blue. Wizardry too line-art. Rogue to much ascii.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I'm in 4th level of Drow Catacombs aka Prison and there is room in southeastern corner with some trapped doors, getting there cause CTD.

I remember that bug. Is this a room with pulsating waves of some black energy ? If so, I know I got around it somehow, can't remember how exactly. Try entering combat, as in "go turn based" when you get near the "pulse" and clean the room.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom