Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Popamole is for pussies" - Relic Entertainment

deuxhero

Arcane
Does it have regenerating health?

If yes, is this part of the Space Marine's ability set?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
ElectricOtter said:
Cool. Might be decent.
Let's hope so, especially considering "decent" is rare in modern gaming. "Good" and "great" are like pre-historic beasts.

Multi-headed Cow

deuxhero said:

BLESSED IS THE MIND TOO SMALL FOR DOUBT

Edit: Looking at the gameplay video it looks kinda good. The main worry that I can tell is it might be too linear/cinematic to be replayable. Game's console only so I might use my 360 for gaming amazingly enough. :M
Double edit: Oh, they're bringing it to PC now too. Last I heard it was console exclusive.

SoupNazi

This is fucking retarded. Just because a game announces that cover is for pussies the Codex immediately glorifies it to Godly heights. Of course third person being a cheat suddenly doesn't matter and the fact that it's still going to be an otherwise dumbed down shit with extreme streamlining and handholding is quickly forgotten.

Fucking :decline: of the Codex right there and I haven't been here that long either. This IS going to be a fucking Gears of War clone except there won't be cover. LOL THAT MAEKS ITZ SO GRAET. Except enemies will just run at you like fucktards for you to mow'em down in a cinematic experience.

Retards.

bonescraper

SoupNazi said:
This is fucking retarded. Just because a game announces that cover is for pussies the Codex immediately glorifies it to Godly heights. Of course third person being a cheat suddenly doesn't matter and the fact that it's still going to be an otherwise dumbed down shit with extreme streamlining and handholding is quickly forgotten.

Fucking :decline: of the Codex right there and I haven't been here that long either. This IS going to be a fucking Gears of War clone except there won't be cover. LOL THAT MAEKS ITZ SO GRAET. Except enemies will just run at you like fucktards for you to mow'em down in a cinematic experience.

Retards.
Bullshit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except enemies will just run at you like fucktards for you to mow'em down in a cinematic experience.
What?
Enemies running at you for you to mow'em down is how arcade shooters are meant to be played, not a shitty firing range with them poping out of cover

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO ACTUALLY SKYWAY IS CORREWCT ONE PERSON DEGFINES HOW GAMES SHOUILD BE PLAID MILIUTARY SIMS WITH NO CONVER JUST JUMPOING AROUND LIKE A BUNCH OPF RETARDS PLAYING DOFGEBALL

crakkie

Arcane
Third person is especially useless in turrent sections. The entire left half of the screen is helpfully filled with the picture of the space marine who's shooting.

Twinkle

Liturgist
This IS going to be a fucking Gears of War clone except there won't be cover.

How can it be Gears of War clone considering that it lacks the most distinctive (and praised/reviled) element of GoW gameplay? You know, third-person shooters existed long before 2006. :roll:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Twinkle said:
How can it be Gears of War clone considering that it lacks the most distinctive (and praised/reviled) element of GoW gameplay? You know, third-person shooters existed long before 2006. :roll:
Not according to Volly :smug:

Oh and if this means this is anything like Heretic II then it could be teh awesome indeed.

roll-a-die

Magister
rogue trader 40KRPG said:
Tempest Bolt Shells
The mass-reactive explosive bolt shell is among the deadliest
kind of round in the Imperial arsenal. Tempest bolt shells are
perhaps the rarest variety, manufactured only in the temples
of Mars. They contain a powerful miniaturised plasma-shock
generator that releases a pulse of electromagnetic and thermal
energy as the shell detonates. They are particularly effective
against machine targets, but obtaining them from the Machine
Cult is a nigh-impossible task.
rogue trader 40KRPG said:
Plasma Cannon (Ryza-pattern)
The largest portable plasma weapon is the plasma cannon
or heavy plasma gun, which is also seen in service on some
Imperial war machines. Rather than using attached flasks,
the wielder wears a large backpack containing the weapon’s
store of hydrogen fuel. This weapon has a much longer range
and ammunition supply, and its violent discharges, hurled like
miniature suns from the barrel, have a large impact area. It can
also be fired in a special Maximal mode which exhausts even
more fuel but provides an even larger blast of heat on impact,
creating a fireball capable of destroying even armoured targets

roll-a-die

Magister
anus_pounder said:
Fuck marines, I want more of the IG. :3
Go read/reread Ciphias Cain or Gaunt's Ghosts. Both are about the best IG fiction there is.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Twinkle said:
Because it doesn't use UE3. :smug:

Really? I swear I heard them saying it uses it somewhere before. But then, the presence of antialiasing and blood that doesn't look like strawberry jam were signs of the contrary.

30sgdnt.jpg

lololo popamole

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
W40k: Rites of War. Like Panzer General in W40k. Also made by SSI. Also fucking awesome.

zeitgeist

Magister
Funny thing is that cover is a pretty prominent element of WH40K tabletop. Well at least it *was* until it became about... I don't even know what it's about anymore except for buying stuff, sorry.

It's like they're slapping random concepts on random franchises lately, this is one of the rare games where a cover system (and squad-based combat which I haven't seen in the preview, someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like just one marine against masses of orks?) would've made sense. If implemented tastefully of course, if such a thing is possible. And regenerating health even!

Joghurt

Augur
SoupNazi said:

Retards.

Where the fuck do you see at least one person glorifying it ? All I see is some people saying that it might turn out a decent game.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Darth Roxor said:
Really? I swear I heard them saying it uses it somewhere before. But then, the presence of antialiasing and blood that doesn't look like strawberry jam were signs of the contrary.

Shacknews said:
Shack: During the demo it was said that the lighting engine in Space Marine was tech that Relic developed. What can you tell me about the engine you're using for this title?

Andy Lang: We took Vigil's Darksiders engine about a year and a half ago. We took a drop of it as our foundation. They had really great tools, a really great engine. Obviously, they were still in development at that point, it wasn't a "shipped engine" yet. We took it, we added a new lighting model in. It's all dynamic so we can do all real-time -- you saw on [a train level during the demo] with all the shadows, that was really important to us. Also, it's faster for production, you know "real-time lighting."

All the gameplay and combat stuff is all brand new. We're actually using Havoc animation, Havoc behavior. It's been heavily modified by our really senior technical animator we have here and our really senior animation programmer. The effects engine is pure Relic. That's actually the same effects engine we used in Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 2 and now we've put it into this thing. But it has been optimized for console.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom