Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Popamole is for pussies" - Relic Entertainment

Wulfstand

Prophet
SoupNazi said:
MetalCraze said:
Max Payne is dumbed down. You must run around whacking thousands of enemies and having fun - is bad.
You're a retard. I can see now why people tried to talk me out of trying to argue with you: you generally don't use logic. Max Payne has challenge and intelligent enemies (for the release date), not being invincible and killing harmless enemies who can't hurt you. The game is good and it's incomparable to this POS dumbed down shooter you're defending.

What a dumbass. :lol:

SoupNazi

Occasionally Fatal said:
pretty sure skyway is being ironic
I'm aware. You and the retard above missed the context. It was a jab at me calling Space Marine a stupid game. Skyway is comparing Max Payne to Space Marine in order to try and defend SM, and I pointed out that it's incomparable - Payne is a good game while SM is shit, the very premise is.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Since you've obviously played it through and can tell us from your own experience, right?
Listen, I'm not trying to defend the game, I'm not that big of a WH40k fan, and neither am I a fan of the action genre, but seeing all this bitching about an unfinished game that, so far, stands pretty true to it's lore and genre, is pretty stupid and all too Codex-like. I don't mind having rants and thoughts about the game, but jumping directly to the 'What the fuck is this shit...' with just a few words and a trailer is plain stupid.

SoupNazi

Wulfstand said:
Since you've obviously played it through and can tell us from your own experience, right?
Listen, I'm not trying to defend the game, I'm not that big of a WH40k fan, and neither am I a fan of the action genre, but seeing all this bitching about an unfinished game that, so far, stands pretty true to it's lore and genre, is pretty stupid and all too Codex-like. I don't mind having rants and thoughts about the game, but jumping directly to the 'What the fuck is this shit...' with just a few words and a trailer is plain stupid.

I usually frown upon that myself. But think with me here for a moment, the reason popamole cover shooters and regeneration are hated by the Codex is that it basically makes the player invincible, the game becomes too easy, you don't have to think during combat and it's not challenging.

So this game doesn't have popamole cover and suddenly it's good. But wait, you still have health regeneration. Not that you need it because the player is invincible. The game becomes too easy due to the near-invincibility and dumb enemies (as shown by the gameplay video). You don't have to think at all, it's not challenging.

So what really is the difference between this and any popamole dumbed down new shit next-gen crap? What exactly makes the Codex go all "yeah wow this could actually be a good game" when everything about it embodies what's being criticized about popamole cover games, except the cover part? I just don't see it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SoupNazi said:
So what really is the difference between this and any popamole dumbed down new shit next-gen crap?

Sitting at a firing range 24/7 is not fun.

Rushing into combat and slaughtering large amounts of dumbfucks with your bare hands is fun.

SoupNazi

Darth Roxor said:
Sitting at a firing range 24/7 is not fun.

Rushing into combat and slaughtering large amounts of dumbfucks with your bare hands is fun.

But when criticizing popamole, I've never seen anyone on the Codex just say "it's not fun". The arguments against popamole are usually "it's too easy" "it's dumb" "it makes you invincible because console kiddies can't play normal shooters" in an attempt to make it "objectively bad" - so when a game comes that's exactly the same (too easy, dumb, and makes you invincible because of console kiddos) but doesn't have a cover system ... suddenly it's fun?

:decline:

Wulfstand

Prophet
SoupNazi said:
Wulfstand said:

I usually frown upon that myself. But think with me here for a moment, the reason popamole cover shooters and regeneration are hated by the Codex is that it basically makes the player invincible, the game becomes too easy, you don't have to think during combat and it's not challenging.

So this game doesn't have popamole cover and suddenly it's good. But wait, you still have health regeneration. Not that you need it because the player is invincible. The game becomes too easy due to the near-invincibility and dumb enemies (as shown by the gameplay video). You don't have to think at all, it's not challenging.

So what really is the difference between this and any popamole dumbed down new shit next-gen crap? What exactly makes the Codex go all "yeah wow this could actually be a good game" when everything about it embodies what's being criticized about popamole cover games, except the cover part? I just don't see it.

Again, you can't really say things like 'you're invincible, so you dont need to regenerate health/etc.' untill the game is out and you've played it. Other then that, yeah, this one is another next gen 3rd person action game, but since that's all that you'll ever likely see nowadays, it's best to at least look on the bright side of it and enjoy what you have.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SoupNazi said:
But when criticizing popamole, I've never seen anyone on the Codex just say "it's not fun". The arguments against popamole are usually "it's too easy" "it's dumb" "it makes you invincible because console kiddies can't play normal shooters"

But it achieves all this in different ways that make the whole package bad and not fun.

It's too easy because you do nothing but sit behind a wall all the time.

It's dumb because you do nothing but sit behind a wall all the time.

It makes you invincible because you don't have to move anywhere.

And it doesn't even have the mindlessly awesome slaughter of hordes like in, for instance, Serious Sam because you have to sit behind the goddamn wall all the time, look up every 5 seconds and kill 1-2 enemies before popping back in to regenerate health.

SoupNazi

But that's what the game promises to be. The developers actually say that in the preview that you're practically invincible:

For most of the time you don’t need to worry about taking damage,

And then it's said again in a similar context in the interview. I get that this could be appealing to some people, but why is this suddenly appealing to the Codex when the same arguments that are used against popamole shooters apply to this as well, minus cover system?

It's just hypocrisy at it's best, suddenly dumb, easy streamlined shooters are fine as long as you can say "it's fun." If people like Skyway just said "cover systems aren't fun" instead of "cover systems are objectively bad because A, B and C" then I would never even mention this, but then B and C applies to this game as well and suddenly it can be decent. What the fuck. At least be consistent.

Darth Roxor said:
But it achieves all this in different ways that make the whole package bad and not fun.

It's too easy because you do nothing but sit behind a wall all the time.

It's dumb because you do nothing but sit behind a wall all the time.

It makes you invincible because you don't have to move anywhere.

From what I could see on the gameplay video, you:

Do nothing but stand in the open and shoot all the time / mash melee button all the time.

It makes you invincible because nothing can harm you and you can just stand still.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Goddamn, you're a thick one, aren't you.

SoupNazi said:
But that's what the game promises to be. The developers actually say that in the preview that you're practically invincible:

It's not about being practically invincible. It's about 'active' iddqd vs 'passive' iddqd. Being on the move versus hugging a wall all the time.

"cover systems are objectively bad because A, B and C" then I would never even mention this, but then B and C applies to this game as well and suddenly it can be decent. What the fuck. At least be consistent.

BUT THE CONTEXT AND MECHANICS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, GODDAMMIT.

Do nothing but stand in the open and shoot all the time / mash melee button all the time.

It makes you invincible because nothing can harm you and you can just stand still.

Not that much of gameplay has been actually shown, and my perspective may change if I see more.

SoupNazi

Yes, much hasn't been shown, yet people are generally optimistic about this based on a single fact: it doesn't have a cover system.

But then I look at it and all I see is standing in one place and shooting hordes and hordes of enemies running straight at you in a chokepoint.

I look at it again and all I see is standing in one place with a sword and cutting down enemies who stand around while you're surrounded, not even trying to attack you except for the one that you're focused on.

How is that objectively better than a cover system I just don't get. Maybe I am thick. And maybe you're just a bunch of hypocrites.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Looks like being edgy just for the sake of it is the cool codex thing for 2010. SoupNazi don't be a moron.

Nobody is too optimistic about Space Marine, most people here are just willing to give it a benefit of doubt (and well aware that multiplatform hurts). Because there still was no news about dumbing down and because it's also Relic which so far didn't do anything dumbed down.

Topher

Cipher
SoupNazi said:
Yes, much hasn't been shown, yet people are generally optimistic about this based on a single fact: it doesn't have a cover system.

But then I look at it and all I see is standing in one place and shooting hordes and hordes of enemies running straight at you in a chokepoint.

I look at it again and all I see is standing in one place with a sword and cutting down enemies who stand around while you're surrounded, not even trying to attack you except for the one that you're focused on.

How is that objectively better than a cover system I just don't get. Maybe I am thick. And maybe you're just a bunch of hypocrites.

I'm optimistic because it's Relic and I thought they did a good job with the gear and level systems in DoW2 and I'm hoping those types of features make it into this game as well; a kinda ARPG hybrid. My only doubt is that it appears that they are taking a one-man approach and I feel that a squad based system is really needed make the IP work in a video game setting; I keep thinking it should be closer to Republic Commando than Devil May Cry. As it stands now I'm assuming it will have light RPG mechanics and some type of gear system and I'm only interested under those conditions.

Destroid

Arcane
Topher said:
SoupNazi said:

I'm optimistic because it's Relic and I thought they did a good job with the gear and level systems in DoW2 and I'm hoping those types of features make it into this game as well; a kinda ARPG hybrid. My only doubt is that it appears that they are taking a one-man approach and I feel that a squad based system is really needed make the IP work in a video game setting; I keep thinking it should be closer to Republic Commando than Devil May Cry. As it stands now I'm assuming it will have light RPG mechanics and some type of gear system and I'm only interested under those conditions.

Man keep your rpg crap out of my action games.

SoupNazi said:
Occasionally Fatal said:
pretty sure skyway is being ironic
I'm aware. You and the retard above missed the context. It was a jab at me calling Space Marine a stupid game. Skyway is comparing Max Payne to Space Marine in order to try and defend SM, and I pointed out that it's incomparable - Payne is a good game while SM is shit, the very premise is.

lolololo if you say so sport

1eyedking

Erudite
Re: "Popamole is for pussies" - Relic Entertainmen

Joghurt said:
I don’t take my eyes off the screen, but my ears do a double take. “We do have this though,” says Relic man. With the press of a button he sends Ultramarine Captain Titus running straight through a low wall of cover like a wrecking ball, and begins hacking apart the orks on the other side with his chainsword. “Oh,” I hear myself say, mesmerised. “Right!”
Win button detected.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS YOU ARE ALL RETARTED BULLET TIEM IS NOT POPAMOLE BECAUSE IT ISNT USED AS MUCH ANYMORE AND IT IS IN OLD GAMES

SO LETS REVIEW BULLETTIME INVINVCLIBE CHEAT MODE IS GOOD AND MAKES A GAME AWESOME COVER IS BAD BECAUSE IT IS POPAMIOLE AND MAKES THE PERSON CRITISIZING IT SOUND REALLY SMARTY AND FATURE LOLOLOLLOLLOL FAGS

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
i tried reading to page 4 but then you guys got into a discussion about not getting trolled

max payne 1 was fucking tight and the mods were better

and it sure as hell wasnt an arcade style shooter

didnt bother remembering anything else

anyways i think the OP is a rather blunt troll on the popamole joke without implying anything except for starting a terrible discussion

the best trolls are the ones that are the heart of the ragefest without being in it 8) , 10/10 OP

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Topher said:
I'm optimistic because it's Relic

the *old* relic died somewhere after COH: Opposing Fronts and i m not just talking out of my ass (as usual) but many of DOW1 / COHs developers have actually left relic for whatever reason - just look around.

*new* relic instead of further inclining the genre produced a subpar COH clone set in 40k (even the graphics are worse - not that it matters much, the dumbed down/streamlined gameplay does though) and a really shitty expansion pack for COH that d make Kotick proud in terms of ripping off your fanbase. most DOW1 and COH fans either moved on or are still playing those games - the fanbase that somehow enjoys DOW2 is easily the same that plays COD and Gears of War, just look at their forums.

and I thought they did a good job with the gear and level systems in DoW2

please tell me you are talking about chaos rising (havent played), because in the vanilla SP campaign they did a godawful job with the gear and level system. havent played a worse hack n slash before and i m saying that as someone who s even played hack n slash shit like restricted area.

i m still looking forward to Space Marine though but unfortunately i had to cross relic of the good developer list after DOW2 and COH:TOV. but the good thing is that just like the good guys that left relic .... meanwhile some dumbasses like the lead-dev of DOW2 left as well , so hopefully they have some fresh talent capable of at least making a half-decent 40k action game.

DefJam101

Arcane
There was something disturbingly familiar about the exterminatus before me. The handwriting was all pretty curves.

"You are in a computer game, Space Marine."

The truth was burning a red crack through my brain. Health regenerating when behind cover, glimpsed out of the corner of my eye. Endless repetition of the act of hitting the win button, plowing through cover to cut down Ork Boyz. The paranoid feel of someone controlling my every step. I was in a computer game.

Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom