Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post screenshot(s) of your first game ever

Suchy

Arcane
ironyuri said:
Golden_Axe_-_1989_-_Sega.jpg
Shit and now that soundtrack replays in my head...

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Probably the reason why I am a wargamer and hate multiplayer.

1072475564.jpg

Flanged

Scholar
colecovision%20smurf%20paint%20n%20play%20workshop%20cart%20full.jpg

SmurfPaintNPlayWorkShop.png

It was revolutionary for the time, and there was nothing like it for a long time after. You could place objects, paint lines that became "solid" to walk on, create scenes and then RECORD short clips of yourself and your bros arsing around in them. Maybe not strictly a game, though, in which case it would've been Smurf Rescue.

smurfs5.jpg

smurfs7.jpg

It was fucking brutal! Insta-death from the least contact with ANY object in the game world (even a fence or a bit of grass), no saves, no hints or tips, no walkthroughs in them days (wouldn't have helped anyway). Excellent training for life. Ver short with very little content, and no fun at all.

Later, on speccy:
Saboteur-ZX-Spectrum.png

On Amiga think it was Barbarians or Thundercats.

On PC:
prelude_790screen005.jpg

Prelude to Waterloo. Battles could easily last over a week - and those were the skirmishes.

Mystary!

Arcane
Well I got a bag filled with c64 games when I was six, cant remeber which one was the first one I played but this is probably the one I played the most.
ik.jpg

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
First game ever was probably this

SonicTheHedgehog1.png

First PC game ever? Either Prince of Persia or

Lemmings_1.png

First PC game on "my own" PC

Dizzy%20-%20Magicland_1.png

piydek

Cipher
catfood said:
I have no idea what my first game was but the oldest one whose name I know is Bruce Lee.
bruce_lee_03.gif

That game was fucking awesome. I used to play it a lot, but i think i never finished it. Could be wrong, though.

Rhalle

Magister
Flanged said:
It was fucking brutal! Insta-death from the least contact with ANY object in the game world (even a fence or a bit of grass), no saves, no hints or tips, no walkthroughs in them days (wouldn't have helped anyway). Excellent training for life. Ver short with very little content, and no fun at all.

When I was little it got to the point that I was so skilled at it, that I could play Smurf Rescue indefinitely. I could literally score millions and millions of points and never stop until I turned it off.

:smug:

Suchy

Arcane
piydek said:
catfood said:
I have no idea what my first game was but the oldest one whose name I know is Bruce Lee.
bruce_lee_03.gif

That game was fucking awesome. I used to play it a lot, but i think i never finished it. Could be wrong, though.
Heh I finished it multiple times. Also played it with a friend as coop. He was that black ninja and supposed to kill me, he kicked his fat buddy instead.

Flanged

Scholar
Rhalle said:
When I was little it got to the point that I was so skilled at it, that I could play Smurf Rescue indefinitely. I could literally score millions and millions of points and never stop until I turned it off.

:smug:

Were you locked in a room with it? Why would you put yourself through that? This blog thing'll bring back those memories of the days when vicious child-abusers designed kid's games. I'd forgot some of the horrendous details of Smurf Rescue. The must've been having a laugh : http://www.notmydesk.com/features/visio ... escue.html

It was a big relief when Mr. Do came out, inclining the Coleco beyond measure.

Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
What's Codemasters up to nowdays, they used to make such great games? Eh, better to not know, it's probably crap.

They're busy destroying everybody's memories of Operation Flashpoint. Dizzy is awesome though.

mornick

Scholar
My first game ever? I have no clue - probably a C64 game at the public library. I recall playing River Raid of which there was a screenshot posted earlier. Later I played C64 and Atari console games at various mates' places. I can't remember the year exactly but my father bought a pretty trick 286 16 MHz with 1 Mb of RAM, VGA graphics and a 52 Mb HDD in the very early 90's.

My first CRPG was Ishar which I got for my birthday and was the first original game I owned. Many other CRPGs followed...
625098-ishar___legend_of_the_fortress___front_large.jpg

However, the first game that really got me hooked was Wing Commander. I got a copy of it and a xeroxed manual from the computer guy who helped my father set it up... Instant addiction - and it was quite a while before I got a soundblaster card and a joystick, but it just didn't matter.
kasmas said:
And the real scary thing is this - still to this day I remember the answer to some of the copy protection questions one had to provide when starting the game. Even without the text in the enemy target display I recognise the shape of the enemy as being a Jalthi and the player is flying a Raptor. Scary shit really... Wish I could recall my past curricula with the same clarity.

TripJack

Hedonist
912commanderkeen4secret.gif

or maybe

bubblebobble55.png

I honestly don't remember. I could probably post 10 more screen shots of games that are equally likely candidates.

ironyuri

Orgasm said:

1072475564.jpg

I used to love this game, but I've forgotten what was it called. Bro?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
ironyuri said:
Orgasm said:

1072475564.jpg

I used to love this game, but I've forgotten what was it called. Bro?
Battle City is the name. Although we kids just called it tанчики

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Spellcaster said:

OMG someone else who knows that game! And further down there even is a pic of test drvie in EGA!

Anyway, MY first games (can't remember the first... when I was 6 my mom bought a c64 and it came with games, of which I can't remember which one I picked up first)...

green-beret.gif

muncher_08.gif

FSII_C64_Manhattan01.png

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fowyr said:
Scorched Earth! I remember my happiness when found v 1.5 of this game (I have 1.2 at this time)! After tinkering with savegames, I found what 1.5 have so many unfinished things like lasers and shit.
And you may change all sorts of things in the scorch.cfg. It was awesome.

hey that's pretty funny of you to mention, I also "unlocked" the unfinished weapons by hacking the .exe file, some of em work pretty well.

my first PC game was 4d sports stunts and the dangerous dave's I think.

Before that I had the C64. With one of the first games mr robot and his robot factory:

mrrobot.gif

denizsi

Arcane
Jools said:

Finally! I've been thinking about and trying to the name of this game for so long! For some reason, I kept thinking it started with a T, I even thought the name was "Trainer". I never got to finish it. After the part with paratroopers coming down, it got too damn difficult at the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom