Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post screenshot(s) of your first game ever

Cassidy

Arcane
Pong.png

It was either pong or a very primitive Atari 2600 top-down view shooter I can't remember the name of anymore.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
My really first computer game was Moon Landing on a computer without even a screen. You had to input the amount of brake fuel and and the computer put out the numbers on a printer. Year was 1986 or 1987 and the computer was some East German contraption in my dads company.

But I'm inclined to say my first real game on a real computer was House of Usher on the C64:
House_of_Usher.png

That was addictive as hell, quickly hundreds of others followed on the C64, and I began getting addicted soon afterwards.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
denizsi said:
Gordon Freeman said:

That was one fucking tense game.

I got hives just from seeing the screenshot. I first played this game when I was 8 years old on the Amstrad CPC. From what I hear, that's one of the easier versions around. That didn't stop this game from scaring me shitless and taunting me for 17 more years.

I doubt that anyone that would pick it up for the first time today would get the same feeling of suspense as those who played it when it was still "fresh". At least, not until "they" cut the power...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Unkillable Cat said:
denizsi said:
Gordon Freeman said:

That was one fucking tense game.

I got hives just from seeing the screenshot. I first played this game when I was 8 years old on the Amstrad CPC. From what I hear, that's one of the easier versions around. That didn't stop this game from scaring me shitless and taunting me for 17 more years.

I doubt that anyone that would pick it up for the first time today would get the same feeling of suspense as those who played it when it was still "fresh". At least, not until "they" cut the power...
That game is fucking scary. I played it on emulator a few months ago.

denizsi

Arcane
It's still the best Aliens game to me, followed by the DHC alternate universe spin-off adventure game, Aliens: A comic book adventure. The latter would be my #1 pick if it weren't for the poor writing and embarrassing voice acting. And the terribly amateurish hand drawings for characters in contrast with the beautifully prerendered CGI backdrops.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
denizsi said:
It's still the best Aliens game to me, followed by the DHC alternate universe spin-off adventure game, Aliens: A comic book adventure.

Right...[/Brett]

Aliens: Comic Book Adventure is THE worst game I've ever played. Bar none. It has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Not story, not voice acting, not graphics, not music or sound effects, not interface, not creepiness, not combat system, not character depth or development, nothing. It's a piece of garbage through and through.

At least some parts of "U.S. Aliens" (The other Aliens game released on the 8-bit computers) were fun to play through. Aliens: CBA has nothing going for it.

DriacKin

Arbiter
I honestly have no idea what my first video game was. There's several I played at friend's houses and such.

The following isn't my first PC game, but it's the first that I ever actually owned -- and I still have the box to prove it.
59408-strike-squad-dos-screenshot-main-game-screen.gif

denizsi

Arcane
Beautiful graphics^.

Unkillable Cat said:
Aliens: Comic Book Adventure is THE worst game I've ever played. Bar none. It has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Not story, not voice acting, not graphics, not music or sound effects, not interface, not creepiness, not combat system, not character depth or development, nothing. It's a piece of garbage through and through.

At least some parts of "U.S. Aliens" (The other Aliens game released on the 8-bit computers) were fun to play through. Aliens: CBA has nothing going for it.

I admit I might be biased but aren't you exaggerating? Sound in particular (apart from VA) wasn't bad at all. I was young and had a very obsessive fixation of anything alien when it came out, painting aliens, making clay models all the time and whatnot. I agree it is oozing shit left and right but I still found it immersive, I loved fooling around, I loved exploring the seemingly deserted colony base. For me, the game nailed some of both Alien and Aliens atmosphere perfectly, perhaps in part due to the lack of combat until late game so when the aliens (or the space jockey race) came, you were screwed no matter what. And face it: the CGI was good.

I should play it again some time, I guess.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Commander Keen was awesome, probably my favorite platformer ever released on the PC (and possibly my 2nd favorite ever after Sonic). I was disappointed with Goodbye Galaxy and Alien Ate My Babysitter as they never seemed to reach the pure awesome of Invasion of the Vortigons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom