Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Potato has arrived!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Rich coming from someone who is monetizing a forum.
General Discussion 35%
Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations 12%
SCIENCE!! 9%
you and your kind are prolly one of the prime reasons why this monetization is happening.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
We consider custom avatars to be extremely popamole
You think my current avatar is more "popamole" than the robotic dog from Fallout which I chose from a limited gallery like a factory worker putting on his generic white jumpsuit before work?

No snappy retort? Well fuck you then you lapdog fuckhead brofist-harvesting newscunt. I accept my old robotic dog back and you can suck my custom Codex avatar's icy red dick.

:rpgcodex:

Stuck in a hotel room overnight in Geneva...

That is, Geneva, New York. Yeah. So needless to say I had some spare time and will try to lighten the mood. It's a rough cut, and only click if you want the truth and not the liberal media lies.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
No, you're a cunt. You use a similar passive-aggressive / "high and mighty" style of FretRider where you try to say something, it seems to have no relevance unless read in a certain context, but when that context is pointed out you retreat from it. You either lack the capability to say clearly and directly what you mean (which in this case is: I want a custom avatar and I think $200 is too much) - which I doubt; or you're being a cunt.
I made a parallel with De Beers and the issue of human-made scarcity for monetary purposes and commented that I consider that behaviour of low value for a community and scum-like, but not of the same magnitude. This quite straight-forward statement was answered by simply calling me a cunt.
So our long-term tradition of "enforced scarcity" of custom avatars (IE: by not having any - you couldn't even buy them once) warrants comparison to:

a large multi-billion dollar company who combined all of their competitors into a single company, launched entire marketing campaigns, coined phrases to sell their product, and which has had law-suits filed against them resulting in them pleading guilty to criminal charges under anti-trust divisions on the grounds of price-fixing;​

... which is a company you claim (without, I note, any research backing it up) is "considered to be among the scum of this earth" and much worse by an order of several magnitude?

As opposed to say, comparing us with a newspaper which sells access to their online version.

Now if we were merging with RPG Watch, GameBanshee and IGN's RPG Vault, put Zero Punctuation on the payroll, started a few large advertising campaigns, coined some catch phrases ("Codex is 4evar") and were fighting anti-trust legislation in court, then you might have a point. It's not like you can't use your custom avatar on some other RPG discussion website. And in essence, you are here by choice. And you have plenty of choices to make. You could even setup in competition to us without having to spend a penny - where you could use your avatar freely.

I can understand why you deliberately over-blew the example in order to try and make a point but like I said, you're over-reaching. That makes you a cunt.

And I don't want to refute her "right" to use her avatar, this is ridiculous. The avatars are not the main issue here.
If avatars aren't the issue here, then what is? Diamonds? You just wanted to talk about artificial scarcity AND HOW EVIL IT IS THE HORROR.? IT DESTROYS COMMUNITIES. OUR COMMUNITY WILL BE DESTROYED in the pursuit of money and power trying to cover our operating costs, which are now near $500 per month.

DESTROYYYYED

The issue of the avatars is just being current and used to illustrate a situation, you can substitute them with anything similar. The main and underlying issue is something many have mentioned, the negative (or positive depending on the point of view) prospect of turning into an SA-like forum. I'm not overreaching, society is a word that can be used for the members of a forum.
Incidentally, SA have a pretty strong society / community. It may be a sucky one, but it's there and it's a lot bigger than ours (I certainly run into more GOONS in every game I've played than Codexians). So if your point is that artificial scarcity makes SA scum of the earth because they charge you an access fee for something that costs them money to supply, then it seems it doesn't destroy their community at all.

Or are you saying SA is an "awful society" because "they are defined and controlled purely for the sake of money and power, instead of the community itself"...? Which seems to be wrong based not only on the strength of their community, but also on the fact that those fees and obnoxious ads are the only things keeping them online in the first place. Hardly "artificial" scarcity because SA simply wouldn't exist - without fees they wouldn't make enough to keep operating.

"Scarcity" and "sacrifice" be damned. If the Codex had the sort of traffic SA does, we could not afford to stay online. Even as it is now, we do not make enough money every month from advertising in order to cover our costs.

But - and as I said with the De Beers example - you're over-reaching. Quite how paying to get a custom avatar - something that historically, was never a feature available on the Codex before - is going to make the Codex an "awful society, defined and controlled purely for the sake of money and power" is beyond me.

If you want to talk about making the Codex awful, let's talk about the out-right racist trolling mother-fuckers who came here and made the forums awful. They're the reason we banned FretRider and made GD and politics accessible only after 12 months registration in the first place. It was an attempt to stop the community from becoming awful by removing the temptation that was attracting more of them. Allowing those who donate early access was actually suggested by the community (I guess that means it's intent on destroying itself).

2. I didn't say it is relative to the cause, but it is to the person.
That still doesn't make "sacrifice" relative. Just because Bill Gates can afford it, doesn't mean he wouldn't be "sacrificing" his $200. Just because he doesn't feel it as much doesn't mean it's not a "sacrifice". Besides, the lesson on semantics is irrelevant to the discussion. This is about the Codex raising enough money to stay online, not about whether that's a "large" enough sacrifice for you personally or not. It's about how much cash we need in order to allow you to keep posting, short of spamming the fuck out of you all with interstitial's and auto-banning all those who use ad-blocker (yes, it's possible).

It also fails to refute evdk's central point, that if you want a custom avatar, it's only fair that you pay for it - given others have and given the Codex' long-standing attitude towards custom avatars.

But no. Here we are offering you something that you couldn't get before as a thank you for donating to help keep the place online - and that's going to destroy the joint, turning the Codex into "scum of the earth", you know, like De Beers.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
DarkUnderlord
I'm not overreaching. I did say multiple times it is a parallel, but not of the same magnitude. Trying to make me look like I consider it exactly the same is wrong, because I clearly don't. Also, I never said the Codex will be destroyed because obviously SA is still there. Again, presenting me like I write all-caps, warning you about the end is wrong.

For some reasons, I consider the principle of this whole thing and SA-like communities shitty. We can disagree about it, it happens all the time in all the world. We both made our points and I got my answers. Do you feel there is a need to drag this anymore?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I'm not overreaching.
Are too.

I did say multiple times it is a parallel, but not of the same magnitude. Trying to make me look like I consider it exactly the same is wrong, because I clearly don't.
parallel: having the same direction, course, nature, or tendency; corresponding; similar; analogous: Canada and the U.S. have many parallel economic interests.

So just to clarify, by "artificially restricting" custom avatars we're going in the same direction as De Beers and their control of the diamond market? 'cause if we're not, then it's not a parallel (and you're over-reaching). In the same way you said that Crooked Bee isn't firmly against custom avatars, given she has exceptions.

Also, I never said the Codex will be destroyed because obviously SA is still there. Again, presenting me like I write all-caps, warning you about the end is wrong.
Then all I can assume is that you're repeatedly dragging up arbitrary and needless points that are irrelevant to the discussion, like a cunt.

Because you said twice that the Codex was going to be awful. The first time, when you referred to De Beers as "scum of the Earth" whilst making your parallel with the Codex - pointing out that their artificial scarcity "controls their flow in order to create false scarcity and inflate the prices"; and the second when you said the Codex is "slowly going down that road" of becoming an "awful society" because "they are defined and controlled purely for the sake of money and power". Either this is irrelevant and completely meaningless to the conversation, or you're trying to make a point that "this is the direction the Codex is heading in". Because, you know, custom avatars.

For some reasons, I consider the principle of this whole thing and SA-like communities shitty. We can disagree about it, it happens all the time in all the world. We both made our points and I got my answers. Do you feel there is a need to drag this anymore?
Cunt.

Repressed Homosexual
If it's only cosmetic improvements that need to be paid for then it's not a problem. It would be if like on SA there was progressively an elitist circle of haves and have nots and content and access was held hostage altogether. Right now becoming a patron doesn't make you part of an elite circle, and non donators aren't scorned and belittled for not being part of the in crowd.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
DarkUnderlord
After the 2 strawmen, we once again go back to "because custom avatars" as if I have not already said about it. Since I've seen in the past that you can into logic, now I'm sure you are trolling me. :salute:

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
DarkUnderlord
After the 2 strawmen
Hey, you raised them. I just burnt them.

we once again go back to "because custom avatars"
It's what this is about mang. You know, DESTTORYING THE CODEX by letting people pay for one.

DESTRROOYY

as if I have not already said about it. Since I've seen in the past that you can into logic, now I'm sure you are trolling me. I now stand defeated and realise how dumb my over-reached argument was about the decline of the Codex because custom avatars :salute:
Corrected.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, anyway about these avatars...is there any way we can cure them from improperly resizing themselves automatically?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Bullshit.

If we're "Going back to the way it always used to be" then that means the robotic dog is the actual size it used to be, not enlarged and shitty.

:rpgcodex:

Dexter

Arcane
eacodexhgz8p.png

Good, good. When can we start buying DLC and what's the Microtransaction plan looking like?

codexp1zff.png

BobtheTree

Savant
What is this, the Steam Summer Sale of 2012 all over again?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom