Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Prelude to Darkness is a pretty damn awesome RPG

Discussion in 'Prelude To Darkness' started by Lord_Potato, Mar 30, 2020.

1. RegionalHobo Learned

RegionalHobo
    this is the roughest rpg i've tried to play so far in my life.

first village look like a pre alpha version of age of decadence. holy shit i'm not new to old rpgs but this is something else, dunno if i'll stomach getting used to it

^ Top  
  2. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    So, Deadman, looks like you really improved camera crashes with dxwrapper, and that is really amazing. I had a crash or two every hour, and most of these crashes were camera crashes.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. PrettyDeadman Victim of C*dex *dministr*tion Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The game run pretty stable on my machine even without dxwrapper to be honest. But its nice if for some people there would be a noticeable difference.
    I think ill try to test ancientruins without dxwrapper to confirm that it actually helps. Yep, got crash within first 5 seconds of starting of testing. Was able to replicate crashes easily without dxwrapper. And with it - 0 crashes due to camera movement in that location.

I've only edited Compatility and DDrawCompat setttings in dxwrapper.ini. Here is what I have:

Show Spoiler

[Compatibility]
    Dd7to9 = 0
    D3d8to9 = 0
    DDrawCompat = 1
    Dinputto8 = 0
    DisableGameUX = 0
    DxWnd = 1
    EnableDdrawWrapper = 1
    EnableDinputWrapper = 0
    EnableDsound8Wrapper = 0
    HandleExceptions = 1
    SingleProcAffinity = 0

[DDrawCompat]
    DDrawCompat20 = 0
    DDrawCompat21 = 1
    DDrawCompatExperimental = 0
    DDrawCompatDisableGDIHook = 1
    DDrawCompatNoProcAffinity = 1

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    So, depending on your grinding tolerance, you can make overpowered builds since skills give you attribute points.
    Leveling 2 weapon skills at least isn't that difficult providing you don't do it for all your party members at once.

You should rely more on Lord Potatos' and my review as my memories aren't quite fresh.
    Speed is really important since it's both AP and initiative but you also need STR and END for fighter types, mostly a lot of SPD+STR and decent END depending on your healing options, i had two druids so i didn't need too much END.

INT influences skills learning pace, not a major attribute for non-casters but still not so much a dump stat either except if grinding doesn't bother you, from memory, the difference between low and high INT could be 10 speech attempts to raise the speech skill from 10 to 11 and 20 attempts, or something like that, number of attempts increasing with the skill level.

Barter is extremely slow to level up, You can't learn Medecine if you don't start with at least 1 point, same for flame magic as far as i know.

There's a literacy teacher in the citadel, a locksmith one as well, taumaturgy teachers in the starting village (southern exit) and in the academy.
    I don't remember about all the teachers though.

I don't think i can help you to make the "perfect" build, you should check the skills and what bonuses they'll give you and focus on some of them, by early mid game, you'll hit the first one and soon enough the second, at some point, aside from SPD and STR for fighters and WILL /SPD for mages, attributes bonuses are irrelevant.

Just pick the 3 characters you absolutely want to play (at least one warrior) and don't bother too much, the beginning is going to be real tough either way.
    Just don't pick thaumaturgy during the character creation, it's a waste of points, you can get it easily (it's also disappointing because it's only temporary boosts aside from the golem which requires expensive and limited consumables)

Some cheats (and useful to know either way not to get cheated by the game)

Show Spoiler

Deadman
    About crashes, something i wrote when i was playing the game :

Also this, while trading:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. MoistCloister Erudite

MoistCloister
    This is great! Is the mod compatible with Fowyr's fixes? Also, how viable is the default party?

^ Top  
  6. PrettyDeadman Victim of C*dex *dministr*tion Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I will download fowyr's files and update them in the way which will make both work later this week. I still need to fix notifications for checking against worst stat in the party anyway.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Did someone used Dxwrapper to run PtD with anything other than windows 10?

It's supposed to work for windows 10 so i'm wondering if it's going to do anything for windows 8.

^ Top  
  8. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    I am absolute 100million% sure I had a copy of this game v1.8 along with some patch on one of my external drives but it seems like it disappeared somewhere into the ether. Anyone have a download link hosted anywhere?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found it.

Also, does anyone know if there is anything different about this version from the other ones floating around the net? Most versions seem to be about 63mb, while this one is touting a massive 71.7mb. https://archive.org/download/PreludeToDarkness This version also "claims" to have been uploaded by the actual developers.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    ^ Top  
  9. Calcium Educated

Calcium
    I can't give the potion to the little girl because a single one of my characters has low charisma, despite my leader having 15. Does anyone know how to get past this?

^ Top  
  10. Calcium Educated

Calcium
    The only difference I noticed between 1.7 and 1.8 is that 1.8 has options for mouse sensitivity and resolution. I remember there being patch notes somewhere on the web but I don't remember where exactly.

^ Top  
  11. AdolfSatan Magister

AdolfSatan
    I couldn't finish the endgame quest on 1.7, had to transfer savefiles to 1.8

Deadman don't forget to post your combined fixes in the downloads thread so that everyone can find it in the future. I'll provide a dropbox mirror for as long as the site lasts.

^ Top  
  12. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Darkozric Learned

Darkozric
    Same problem here, I have a bard as leader with 18 CHA and the game chooses the worst charisma in the party to make the check. Is this a bug or all the party members must have an above the average charisma value in general? If this is the case then what's the point of the leader selection, I don't get it.

^ Top  
  14. Has anyone here finished the game?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Yup

^ Top  
  16. vazha Erudite

vazha
    +1, twice, thinking about the third run once the ultimate version is published here.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.