Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

DonGabo

Novice
Sort of fixed/minimized the audio and I've been having a good time with the game. I'm using the core balance mod and survival mode. Went in blind too.
How did you fix the audio issue? It's the only reason I haven't played this game. The audio sliders in the options do nothing to make this bearable.

I turned my surround speaker volume down and put the voice slider almost all the way to the left. Some voices are really low now, but it's better than having your ears blown out. The audio mixing is fucked up big time.
Thanks. It's a shame that this studio that tries to continue Looking Glass's legacy fucked up one of the most important aspects of the game's atmosphere. I could play some of Thief's levels with my eyes closed and maintain perfect situational awareness.

The Decline

Arcane
Well I just hit a weird bug, I can't use repair on anything anymore. I press the button to start repairing something and nothing happens.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Are you using any mods? I had something similar happen, turns out there was a bug with one of the chipsets that a mod added.

RoSoDude

Arcane
He's using my mod :negative:

Apparently this is a vanilla bug as well, fixed by unequipping and re-equipping the M3cht3ch chipset:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/480490/discussions/0/2741975115069550916/
https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/6art8y/bug_cannot_use_repair_function/
https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/6b49if/cannot_use_repair_function_anymore/

However, I did change the repair time reduction on that chipset from 50% to 75%, so there is a small chance it's got to do with my mod. I'll try to keep an eye on this bug in future versions just in case.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RoSoDude
What are the conditions for the Nightmare to start spawning? I've read several different explanations on the internet, but I figured someone who's actually vivisected the game and tinkered with its innards would know for sure how it works.

I read the following in the Core Balance Readme:
-Removed Nightmare-spawning "heat" from Psionic Aptitude (should only be alien skills)

So I can at least confirm that unlocking alien skills has something to do with it.

Insert Title Here
so... without spoiling i have alien tech question:

so far I'm choosing to play with human neuromods only. While playing on nightmare and with all survival checks it feels rewarding.
What annoys me a bit are those doors sealed with few wooden planks. I assume that the only way to get through them is turning into coffee cup? It pains me as I feel like i might be missing some juicy logs/emails.

So my question is: do I miss out? Will I lose cool ending if I go black? If I go black is there going back?

I'm not sure which doors you are referring to as it's been a while since I played Prey but I will just say that it's worth playing all three runs imo, human only, typhon only, and mixed. This does effect the story.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's usually a human method of getting into areas where you'd otherwise have to turn into a coffee cup, for example by shooting a button through the little hole using the styrofoam dart gun, or by lifting heavy crates. There probably are some coffee cup-exclusive areas, though.

There's nothing all that juicy to miss lore-wise unless you're really into gay and lesbian love notes, since nearly all of the station personnel are homosexual for some bizarre and completely unfathomable reason.

Typhon-only sucks big dongs for like the first two or three hours. You have to get the psychoscope and scan a bunch of shit before you can even start spending skill points.

RoSoDude

Arcane
RoSoDude
What are the conditions for the Nightmare to start spawning? I've read several different explanations on the internet, but I figured someone who's actually vivisected the game and tinkered with its innards would know for sure how it works.

I read the following in the Core Balance Readme:
-Removed Nightmare-spawning "heat" from Psionic Aptitude (should only be alien skills)

So I can at least confirm that unlocking alien skills has something to do with it.

I don't actually know for sure. I know a bunch of the variables that influence it, but not the underlying scripts or spawn triggers. Another modder actually found the folder containing flowgraphs defining a bunch of the game logic, and some of them can even be opened in CryEngine. Sadly, the Nightmare flowgraph crashes the editor because of missing assets, and I haven't put the time into trying to glean anything from it in text form.

There seem to be some scripted spawns, but generally speaking the Nightmare spawns in based on a timer (30 min if killed, 20 min if fled) and also upon installing alien Neuromod skills, possibly with some random chance. I'm not sure if your Nightmare "heat" goes down over time, but I do know that the Nightmare can spawn immediately when installing alien Neuromods since it's happened to me a few times. I've also heard that installing more mods makes it spawn more frequently or while you're already in the middle of a map, rather than upon entering it. Can't confirm any of those theories myself, though.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not sure which doors you are referring to as it's been a while since I played Prey but I will just say that it's worth playing all three runs imo, human only, typhon only, and mixed. This does effect the story.

You left out no needles.

I think there's only one coffee cup exclusive place in the game and that's the medbay outside the magnetosphere.

ciox

Liturgist
Typhon-only sucks big dongs for like the first two or three hours. You have to get the psychoscope and scan a bunch of shit before you can even start spending skill points.
An awful flaw that still hasn't been fixed.
There's still absolutely no way to fast track your way past the long Bioshock intro, and all the Bioshock mechanics accomodation and story fluff that needs to happen before you gain access to a psychoscope and psi powers, so that you can actually play a build you want to play.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
There's nothing all that juicy to miss lore-wise unless you're really into gay and lesbian love notes, since nearly all of the station personnel are homosexual for some bizarre and completely unfathomable reason.
dangerhair.png

I bet xe knows why.

ciox

Liturgist
to bring more personal evidence, nightmare spawned for me with no alien mods installed. No psionic aptitude either. When killed it never returned. I know it spawned near your brother house after I finished some main story related quest but cant remember what it was.
That's a known issue, I'm pretty sure they just spam it every once in a while because of low enemy variety. At least Mooncrash has a few new enemies.

HansDampf

Arcane
One lesbian couple and one gay couple.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Yeah,the biggest discount they had so far was 50% and now they suddenly go to 80% for some random weekend deal,got Mooncrash since it was so cheap

HansDampf

Arcane
You started this by saying almost everyone on the station was gay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom