Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Silverfish

Arbiter
Props to you guys for actually fighting anything. After taking on some mimics that were dancing around like Bayonetta on bathsalts, I accepted stealth as my lord and savior.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Props to you guys for actually fighting anything. After taking on some mimics that were dancing around like Bayonetta on bathsalts, I accepted stealth as my lord and savior.
That's awesome and I completely support you. I also found the combat very disorienting. I invested in stealth abilities and lots of hit points to be able to deal with their unpredictability.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Were you playing on a gamepad maybe? Can't say I've really had this issue. The purple dudes warp but usually right up to your face, so shotgun goes boom.

JDR13

Arcane
I had no issues with the combat. I can see how people who don't like or are poor at twitch combat might not like it, but I didn't find anything particularly troublesome.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've fought a few "nightmares" now and they might actually be the easiest enemies in the game. Just circle-strafe to avoid their energy ball things and blast them with the shotgun. Dead in a handful of shots. Mimics are easy, either snipe them with the pistol or walk around as casually as you want and blast them with the shotgun. Human sized dudes are easy, floating dudes are easy. Most annoying enemies for me would probably be the corrupted bots just because they rush you with flame throwers.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Nightmares were fairly pointless and terrible. I only ever encountered them in the arboretum, so the most sensible thing to do was just hide in the room with the matter replicator and wait out the 3 minutes.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Were you playing on a gamepad maybe?

I was. Worked out for the best though. Prey's leaning toward stealth (for people who can't aim) took hold with me in a big way. Led me to Dishonored and later Deus Ex, both of which I avoided originally.

Nightmares were fairly pointless and terrible. I only ever encountered them in the arboretum, so the most sensible thing to do was just hide in the room with the matter replicator and wait out the 3 minutes.

That's weird. I always get them in either the gravshaft room that leads to the water treatment plant or the entrance to the crew quarters.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Enemies in Prey don’t become bullet sponges on nightmare difficulty, because all enemies in the game have a trick. Ex: mimics die quickest from a charged wrench strike. It’s about figuring out the best way to deal with enemies, not just shooting mindlessly.

ciox

Liturgist
Enemies in Prey don’t become bullet sponges on nightmare difficulty, because all enemies in the game have a trick. Ex: mimics die quickest from a charged wrench strike. It’s about figuring out the best way to deal with enemies, not just shooting mindlessly.
I thought that, even ignoring the greater mimics with way more hp, basic mimics stop dying from a simple charged wrench strike as soon as Hard difficulty, their real weakness is the Gloo as they are very quickly frozen by it and stay frozen for a long time.

That reminds me that Gloo would have been an opportunity for some more interactions with enemies, like being able to put certain enemies to sleep permanently with enough Gloo as a special weakness, so long as you had the ammo/upgrades to spare and their glued-shut cocoon was left carefully undisturbed.
As it is you just have the basic stun->kill flow which is how most enemies are dealt with also.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Even greater mimics die from one shotgun blast. Walk around as casually as you like with the shotgun equipped and the moment an item starts buzzing just shoot it with a shotgun blast and it's dead.

Wrench sneak attack should work depending on your sneak bonus and in any case the wrench has a temporary stun so you'll always kill them before running out of stamina. Only issue is multiple mimics at once.

ciox

Liturgist
Even greater mimics die from one shotgun blast. Walk around as casually as you like with the shotgun equipped and the moment an item starts buzzing just shoot it with a shotgun blast and it's dead.
IIRC Psychoshock will both target those, and not even require you to aim as it just locks on to targets if they're on your screen, it's kinda the best quick mimic killer if you have psi to spare, and you usually do.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
IIRC Psychoshock will both target those, and not even require you to aim as it just locks on to targets if they're on your screen, it's kinda the best quick mimic killer if you have psi to spare, and you usually do.

I'm not using psi at all this run. Not really an achievement hunter but just never put anything into it because I like me some guns, and now I'm far enough along I might as well stick to that strat. It's annoying though because there are rooms it seems I'll never get into, due to them being blocked by the morph ability. Oh well.

I'm not using psi at all this run. Not really an achievement hunter but just never put anything into it because I like me some guns, and now I'm far enough along I might as well stick to that strat. It's annoying though because there are rooms it seems I'll never get into, due to them being blocked by the morph ability. Oh well.

In my minimal PSI playthrough I used the lowest tier Phantom Shift, mainly to deal with those annoying Cystoid things because they explode themselves on the decoy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In my minimal PSI playthrough I used the lowest tier Phantom Shift, mainly to deal with those annoying Cystoid things because they explode themselves on the decoy.

Interesting, good tip for a future nightmare playthrough. Those things were annoying as fuck in the no gravity section, but on foot I'm mostly finding them easy to deal with by luring them to something between us (shelf, chair, etc.) and having it block all their damage.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Interesting, good tip for a future nightmare playthrough. Those things were annoying as fuck in the no gravity section, but on foot I'm mostly finding them easy to deal with by luring them to something between us (shelf, chair, etc.) and having it block all their damage.

You can just shoot them with the silenced pistol from a distance and back off, they tend to just self-destruct on the wall. I never had any problem with them.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Real protip for cystoids: they're attracted to movement (player, enemies, and physics objects, even projectiles like grenades and nerf darts). You can just throw a physics object near them and they'll chase it and blow up. Remote Manipulation can be really useful to pick up space debris for this purpose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom