Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time vaporware remake from Ubisoft

sser

Arcane
Developer
Prince of Persia was one of the best games ever. I found it really mesmerizing when it came out and I basically played the whole thing through in like a week. Remake looks super rough. I don't think it's just the awkward looking characters either -- they're missing the dreamlike art direction that carried the original.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The 2008(?) reboot was uninspired. Probably designed with the same target audience/principles as the Uncharted games.
It was a little too automated and hence condescending. If I remember, the idea was to make a game for people who don't play games. So they simplified all actions to 4 buttons that change automatically on the context.
Pretty good design idea, but their ignorance of the actual gaming crowd was their downfall as the input demand the game required from us was negligible to the point of boredom.
Still a fun game with charming graphics, art and story. I still care enough that I want that story to get completed.
From my memories of playing the 2008 remake, I don't really think it was really designed for people who don't play games, even if you can't die (you just respawn at the start of the platforming sequence/combat), because, once you're halfway through the game, you start getting long jumping/acrobatics sequences with really short timings: even if the penalty for failing is low, I have a hard time imagining non-players having fun there.

Zariusz

Arbiter
This looks like it was made for Xbox 360.
I would say that PoP 2008 looks better than this but im not going to do this, comparing that gorgeous game to this shitshow is just insulting.

Narax

Educated
The aesthetics and graphics look like something from a Spiders' game, like Greedfall, not something from a AAA studio.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The aesthetics and graphics look like something from a Spiders' game, like Greedfall, not something from a AAA studio.
Ubisoft is barely AAA anymore. Their budgets may be at that level, but the end result puts their games at A-AA quality. Even their flagship titles such as Assassins Creed look really rough. Odyssey had a ton of unpolished jank with its animations, recycled character models, and some gameplay elements; Valhalla looks to be even worse somehow. Ubisoft is collapsing in on its own weight and has been for a few years, but now it's starting to accelerate. This was the inevitable future of all AAA studios.

Divinity: Original Sin

Though being forced to use the corporate-mandated graphic engine which is a bad fit for a PoP game might not have helped them

Guess what? Ubisoft used anvil engine on POP: Forgotten Sands, a modernized game set between Sands of Time and Warrior Within. Forgotten sands even have improved time manipulation mechanics. So they are really incompetent: Claims the game is AAA budget, and looks worse than the original, and are having technical difficulties with time manipulation implementation, something that was already done in the same engine.

Well, supposedly this remake is being updated using the old anvil engine (assassin's creed 2) the same used in forgotten sands, not anvilnext 2.0, which powers AssCreed origins/odyssey. Which makes it even an outdated remake.

I guess there's some misinformation and they're actually using anvilnext 2.0. But by the looks, the game looks nothing like the newer AssCreeds.

but in the link below, it's listed as using the old engine.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Engine:Anvil

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Though being forced to use the corporate-mandated graphic engine which is a bad fit for a PoP game might not have helped them

Guess what? Ubisoft used anvil engine on POP: Forgotten Sands, a modernized game set between Sands of Time and Warrior Within. Forgotten sands even have improved time manipulation mechanics. So they are really incompetent: Claims the game is AAA budget, and looks worse than the original, and are having technical difficulties with time manipulation implementation, something that was already done in the same engine.

Well, supposedly this remake is being updated using the old anvil engine (assassin's creed 2) the same used in forgotten sands, not anvilnext 2.0, which powers AssCreed origins/odyssey. Which makes it even an outdated remake.

I guess there's some misinformation and they're actually using anvilnext 2.0. But by the looks, the game looks nothing like the newer AssCreeds.

but in the link below, it's listed as using the old engine.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Engine:Anvil

According to wikipedia, the remake is done with the latest version of the engine. But since there's no source for it there, though I've seen one article that claimed it's the same engine as AssCreed Origin, Odyssey, and Valhalla.

I think that the latest version of the engine is more likely, as it more easily explains how they currently are having issues doing something what was possible ten years ago on an older version of the engine. And not looking the same can be explained as coming from different art directions and art assets.

Machocruz

Arcane
Original SoT was a very different time in game design. AAA console games were good, gameplay centric, largely still distinct from PC gaming, and not completely lobotomized cakewalks yet, and consoles worth getting for more than three games. No one was talking about games as "experiences", whatever the shit that means.

madhouse

I used to think WW is the best game of them all when I was much younger. Now I can't stand it, the buttrock and the EDGE is too much. At the end of the day for me the first one is the best. Third one is pretty decent too, I think I liked it, but I don't remember much. I don't think any of these games need a remake, and if you do, I think you should be beat with a shit covered stick. I despise this trend for running remakes and wanking over classic games and not striving to make more new things. I swear half of the gaming news is me hearing about a remake, remaster, blah blah... or, a SPIRITUAL successor. How about succeed at not making shit games and create something new?
EDIT:
lol curry project lead that doesn't even speak proper English: it's over before it even began.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I used to think WW is the best game of them all when I was much younger. Now I can't stand it, the buttrock and the EDGE is too much. At the end of the day for me the first one is the best.

Yeah, Warrior Within is something i can see myself liking if none of the other games existed. Sands of Time is like a light comedy summer night movie adaptation of a folk tale, Edgelord Within is the unnecessary sequel the studio decides to make because the first one was successful but the new director notices that kids these days like that edgy stuff so metal music, angsty protagonists, dark environments and... S&M assassins.

(do not get me wrong, i am not against that stuff in games, just not as the sequel to something with a completely different tone)

Though at least, edgy as it is, it has a dual edge and from a purely gameplay perspective, ignoring everything else, it has both more and better puzzles compared to the first game.

But the third game in the trilogy is certainly an improvement over the second one even if it not as good as the first.

I haven't played the more recent games though so i do not know how they compare.

Derringer

Prophet
Can't you just mute the music and skip the cutscenes in Warrior Within? The gameplay looks like shit in Two Thrones.

baud

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played the more recent games though so i do not know how they compare.

The 2008 one is actually pretty decent if you can get over the fact that it's literally impossible to die (yes, really).

even if you can't die, there are a few tricky jump sequences and if you fail there, you go back to the start of the sequence, instead of rewinding the last 5 seconds like with the sand system

Egosphere

Arcane
remake 3d plz

1DAYvGt.png
6a4wv8S.jpg

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I recently replayed the Ubisoft trilogy because of this thread. Honestly, I don't see why SoT is considered to be far and away the best entry by many in this thread. I agree that stylistically and thematically it's the best one.
Yet while the platforming is great, the combat, oh dear god the combat is terrible. How incredibly tedious it is to constantly have the platforming sections followed up by repetitive and mind numbing combat sections where you fight wave upon wave of enemies, abusing vaulting and wall jumps while babysitting your companion.
WW's edginess is inexcusably terrible, and TT has its problems too, but as an overall package I have to admit I find they tend to keep things more varied and interesting instead of just being an endless cycle of great platforming puzzles interspersed with awful combat sections.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Saying that WW of all of them keeps things "more varied and interesting" is absurd. The amount of backtracking you do in this game through the same places (just with a different paintjob) is by far its biggest weakness, and I say that as someone who generally likes it a lot. Also, while WW undeniably improved the combat a lot compared to SoT, I think the platforming suffered for it quite a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom