Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prisonscape - a prison RPG

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Is this dead?

Not by a long shot. We're actively working on it, just doing some stuff that's pretty uninteresting to write/report about.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Is this dead?

Not by a long shot. We're actively working on it, just doing some stuff that's pretty uninteresting to write/report about.

I liked it more when you guys were talking about meth magic.

Well, shit, let's get some conversation going on then.

I just remembered that we actually don't have meth in the game. I think it's not very common drug as it's shown in the drug screenings for a long time. Inmates prefer bentsoes and heroin as they are eradicated from your system pretty quickly.

Current plan is for the drugs to have only positive effects, just like those potions and phoenix down's in Final Fantasies. Addiction system would be cool but it's quite a lot of work and feature creep is setting in already.

Here's a cutscene from the game we finished while ago:

yx23ryx.gif

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
any idea bout how long this may take to get finished?

It's been six months since the developer's made a peep from what I can see, so I'm gonna say first star to the right and straight on 'til morning.

Well, we are still here but to be honest haven't got much work done in the last months. Our graphic designer had other plans and we've also had a lot of family stuff going on so things are just slow right now.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Hey, so we're back in full development mode now. I'll try to commit some script/code everyday and we are also looking for a new graphic designer to finish off what was started.

I'm currently looking for ideas for turn-based combat, can some of you RPG veterans point me some games were fast-paced and simple turn-based combat works? Just to outline what I have currently in the plans:

- Turn-based combat
- Three main stats: STR, AGI, INT which all affect different aspects of the combat
- Different combat areas which in some cases are pre-determined (boss fights for example)
- Weapons such as shanks, iron pipes, soap in a sock, etc.
- Fighting skill level affects which abilities you get
- INT affects how many special attacks/defenses you get, STR and AGI affect their type
- Drugs give you boost to combat (like potions, etc. in other games), currently no downsides
- STR affects your damage with bludgeonin weapons and hit-% with certain attack types, AGI with piercing/slashing and hit-% with certain attack types/weapons
- Companions can help you in a fight, you can control them if your INT is high enough, otherwise they have their own AI. Companions can be gained with currency/through quests
- Fighting has consequences if you get caught (the hole, revenge, etc.)
- There are various bonuses from flanking, charge, etc. (a lot of these are from D&D3.5/Pathfinder, but at this stage mainly ideas, no concrete plan)

Lhynn

Arcane
Have you tried Battle moon wars? Great turn based system, fairly indepth character development. About the only real flaw it has is that the encounter design sucks. Theres interesting ideas there to be sure. Tho the writing is extremely shitty, its easily skippable.
Another turn based rpg would be Tales of Maj Eyal, it has turn based system that can be extremely fast or really slow depending on the players needs, it showcases the best use of cooldowns in any game ever. Also skills are great, itemization is great.
Recently ive been playing a lot of adventuring league, a game for android. Its very a simplistic roguelike with darklands ambitions, it falls short on most things but its still fun and can get pretty intense, its a game about making the perfect moves, where mistakes are extremely costly.
Neoscavenger has a really indepth text based combat, its fairly deterministic in its approach and really intense. You can probably get some inspiration from it.
Underrail, great combat, a lot of depth and always interesting options in your turn. Suitably lethal and makes both strategical and tactical planning very important to succeed.

Also remember that if you only have 1 character combat doesnt need a fast paced system to be fast paced, a little complexity on your turn is appreciated when its just your single character. Active defense can be a great idea. Most single character turn based games, like AoD struggle to make combat anything other than an RNGfest and more actions and options and more impact on your decisions during the combat would make it better.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look at Grandia or Chrono Trigger for "turn-based" combat. A mix of that could be great.

PekkaK

Heaviest Matter
Developer
Here's the current combat sequence:

Pre-combat

1. Determine combatants (player + henchmen, enemy + henchmen)
2. Throw initiative for both sides (intelligence/agility [higher] + fighting * 5 + d15 for player, speed/int [higher] + attack/5 + d15 for NPCs)
3. Draw grid on battle screen
(4. Lower initiative side inserts characters on center of the grid (3x3))
(5. Higher initiative side inserts characters on grid on any green square (+1 square for each 5 points over the other initiative))

Combat

1. Higher initiative side starts the fight
2a. Player can:
Move (1 square if agility < 80, 2 when agility >= 80)
Physical Attack
Ranged attack
Int based attack
Defensive stance
Rest / Skip
Use item

2b. Henchmen can:
Move (1 square)
Attack (based on NPC stats)
Skip

3. Enemies can:
Move (1-2 squares)
Physical attack
Special attack (for bosses only)
Ranged attack
Use "items" -> special effects from script -> no need for the NPC's to use items, etc.
Defend
Wait / Skip

After combat

1. If the player loses, he goes to the infirmary (skip weekly menu and random events)
2. If the player wins, there are three different outcomes. These are determined by making a saving throw against current alert level.
Each alert level raises the chance of getting caught by 12%. (0 = 0%, 1 = 12%, 2 = 24%, 3 = 36%, 4 = 48%, 5 = 60%). Each battle round increases
this by 1%. After combat roll is d100
IF after combat roll < chance of getting caught, the player gets away and gets the loot
IF after combat roll > chance of getting caught AND after combat roll < chance of getting caught + 20, the player goes to interrogation
IF after combat roll - 20 > chance of getting caught, the player goes to the hole and GUARD reputation goes down by 8

Here's example of one combat grid, I think the challenge is how to make it tactical with such a small number of columns. It might be too easy to make chokepoints where you just grind your enemies down, hence the need of combat maneuvers (overpower, charge, etc.)

gq6RkQn.png

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Charge is nice and all, but this being prison, maybe you should call it bum rush.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Actually looks like a pretty fun game. Are you guys going to let us customize our guy with custom photo and avatar or will it be a predetermined character?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Here's the current combat sequence:

Pre-combat

1. Determine combatants (player + henchmen, enemy + henchmen)
2. Throw initiative for both sides (intelligence/agility [higher] + fighting * 5 + d15 for player, speed/int [higher] + attack/5 + d15 for NPCs)
3. Draw grid on battle screen
(4. Lower initiative side inserts characters on center of the grid (3x3))
(5. Higher initiative side inserts characters on grid on any green square (+1 square for each 5 points over the other initiative))

Combat

1. Higher initiative side starts the fight
2a. Player can:
Move (1 square if agility < 80, 2 when agility >= 80)
Physical Attack
Ranged attack
Int based attack
Defensive stance
Rest / Skip
Use item

2b. Henchmen can:
Move (1 square)
Attack (based on NPC stats)
Skip

3. Enemies can:
Move (1-2 squares)
Physical attack
Special attack (for bosses only)
Ranged attack
Use "items" -> special effects from script -> no need for the NPC's to use items, etc.
Defend
Wait / Skip

After combat

1. If the player loses, he goes to the infirmary (skip weekly menu and random events)
2. If the player wins, there are three different outcomes. These are determined by making a saving throw against current alert level.
Each alert level raises the chance of getting caught by 12%. (0 = 0%, 1 = 12%, 2 = 24%, 3 = 36%, 4 = 48%, 5 = 60%). Each battle round increases
this by 1%. After combat roll is d100
IF after combat roll < chance of getting caught, the player gets away and gets the loot
IF after combat roll > chance of getting caught AND after combat roll < chance of getting caught + 20, the player goes to interrogation
IF after combat roll - 20 > chance of getting caught, the player goes to the hole and GUARD reputation goes down by 8

Here's example of one combat grid, I think the challenge is how to make it tactical with such a small number of columns. It might be too easy to make chokepoints where you just grind your enemies down, hence the need of combat maneuvers (overpower, charge, etc.)

gq6RkQn.png
add throwing and pushing and make the inevitable chokepointing a tacticool element you can control (a bit)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom