Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Prodeus - retro FPS by ex-Raven devs

geno

Savant
But i guess thats why its in early access to see how some features are felt in the community
AFAIK, these features has been in the prior betas so I assume these are here to stay and I don't expect any significative change.

Caim

Arcane
Played the first two levels just now. I'm feeling the low ammo count on anything that's not the shotgun, even when using it as my primary weapon. The low ammo count feels like it's been ported over from Doom Eternal without also copying the mechanics that made it work, so instead the arenas are generous with ammo pickups. The missile launcher is useful so far to click on the bull monsters to make them go away, and the chaingunner was vaporized as well. The minigun is making the secondary fire of both the pistol and the SMGs feel redundant. Not sure what the rest of the weapons are going to bring to the table, but so far it's pretty fun. Not too sure why you'd have to log in on a boomer shooter though, maybe they're copying that from Doom Eternal as well. Positive/10 so far.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Not too sure why you'd have to log in on a boomer shooter though
You don't have to. Just press skip at the start.
I know, I'm talking about the why instead. Leaderboards? Sure, but that kinda goes against the whole point of making a boomer shooter.

Leaderboards, and for the map editor (if you want to upload your maps).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished all the levels that are currently in and even found the secret Bandolier. I stand by what I said previously, but think that death should be more punishing. Simply respawning and continuing where you left off is no punishment. Maybe if you're trying to speed run and get a high score for the leader board, which seems to be the primary focus of the main campaign. But how many people buying a boomer shooter actually care about something like that?

Shitposter
the custom maps are sick
co-op's gonna be awesome
4XWSsQV.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Was trying a bunch of different player made levels and that was one that came up. It was a novel concept, but the execution still felt janky. Overall I was pretty surprised at the quality of the levels, and of all the neat little design gimmicks that people pulled off, stuff that didn't show up on the main campaign. I was also glad at how different the levels could look from the main campaign. Overall the game engine and level creator are a lot more flexible than I thought. I've a good feeling about the future of this game.

lightbane

Arcane
So far from what I've seen, it seems like a sci-fi equivalent of Amid Evil, with identical shit textures instead of actual graphics. The enemies and weapons seem derivative. Still, I suppose it's good enough if you're fed up with Doom and equivalent classics.

Lemming42

Arcane
The settings menu allows a decent amount of control over the graphics. You can turn down the dogshit pixel overlay and make it a lot less eye-scorching than Amid Evil.

deama

Prophet
Performance seems ok, sometimes it dips for me in big fights and such, basically no consistent 120fps sadly.
I've got a 2060 super locked@1800mhz and ryzen 3600 locked@4.2Ghz and I'm running the game with SSAO and SSR off at 1440p.
CPUID says max GPU usage was 86%, max CPU usage of a core has been 67%, so I think GPU chugging a bit.

Hopefully will get better over early access but tbh, I doubt it, it usually never does :(

I noticed that switching from 3D models to 2D models didn't seem to require any wait time, does that mean the 3D Models are rendered anyway and they just transplant 2D sprites ontop? That might explain the performance as I'd expect this thing to run pretty damn well if you use the 2D sprites option.

Also, what does dithering past 20 do? I haven't noticed any quality change past 20.

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Performance seems ok, sometimes it dips for me in big fights and such, basically no consistent 120fps sadly.
I've got a 2060 super locked@1800mhz and ryzen 3600 locked@4.2Ghz and I'm running the game with SSAO and SSR off at 1440p.
CPUID says max GPU usage was 86%, max CPU usage of a core has been 67%, so I think GPU chugging a bit.

Hopefully will get better over early access but tbh, I doubt it, it usually never does :(

Unity. LOL.

deama

Prophet

Unity. LOL.
Tbh they could have easily gotten away with using gzdoom and make their own game and just launch it on steam. There was a guy recently that made his own fps game using gzdoom and is selling it on steam, no legal issues other than fanbois complaining why it isn't free even if all the assets are original.
Game is called "Hedon".

Caim

Arcane

Unity. LOL.
Tbh they could have easily gotten away with using gzdoom and make their own game and just launch it on steam. There was a guy recently that made his own fps game using gzdoom and is selling it on steam, no legal issues other than fanbois complaining why it isn't free even if all the assets are original.
Game is called "Hedon".
Ah yes, Hedon. For when you want your boomer shooter to also be a coomer shooter.

Y8Jiuco.jpg

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah yes, Hedon. For when you want your boomer shooter to also be a coomer shooter.

Yes, Hedon is great like that.

Also it has level design that reminds me of Hexen/Hexen 2 where you have to search everywhere for "stuff" to progress, unlike pretty much every other FPS i've seen that claims to be "inspired by Hexen" yet the inspiration ends at having a vaguely fantasy theme.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished the early access campaign. I have to say I didn't expect this game to turn out so good, holy shit.

The start is boring IMO and the first three levels definitely need redoing in some way. IIRC especially the third one is guilty of constant imps on ledges. But after that it's nonstop balls to the wall action.

What I said about it during the alpha still applies, and perhaps even x10 - this is an actual, honest to God shooter, with no unnecessary bullshit added on top. The guns are slick. The movement is fast. The enemies may be derivative but they all serve their purposes and work well (probably because they are so derivative, don't change the winning formula etc) - I also like the later "supercharged" ones. It's a good way of extending the bestiary with stronger monsters with very little costs involved.

I like the guns quite a bit. They are almost all useful, and so are their alt-fires, and they pack roight propa punch. The only ones that I don't like much are the nade launcher (the physics on the bounce are TERRIBLE) and the chaingun (I hardly ever use it instead of the dual smgs, and once you get the plasma gun it becomes more or less obsolete). The alt-fire on the plasma gun is also pretty worthless, but the basic fire mode is gud, so eh. Also, it can't be stressed enough how important it is that switching between guns is so fast - you switch between them often since different weapons are fit for different purposes, and the fact that it's near-instant is very gud. MANY shooters don't seem to understand this.

I played on very hard, and the game sure as hell provides good challenge in the later levels. There were many times when I was running around with 25 hp desperately looking for medkits while assholes would continue to spawn all around.

Level design is ok. I think it's nothing to write home about, but at the same time, it's important that it avoids all the aggravating shit like constant arenas, gimmicks and monster closets. They are still sorta railroady, but often they are open enough or you get to choose between picking path_A or path_B first, so you don't mind much. The secrets can be clever though, and I managed to miss a bunch, including some that I knew were there but I couldn't figure out how to open. The monster spawns are also used well (read: in a non-aggravating manner), which is a plus, because usually spawns tend to annoy me.

That said, there is the one obvious stinker, which is no penalty for dying. I said the game provides good challenge, but that's only if you adopt some self-imposed rules, like trying to beat them on one life. I did that, only continuing from checkpoints if I died very close to the end and couldn't bother restarting, and really, sometimes it was very hard. But respawning for free just defeats the purpose of... anything. They absolutely need to add save states, even if only for the checkpoints - obviously I'd be more happy with quick saving, but the levels are short enough that ultimately I wouldn't mind checkpoints only, but the point still stands that they need to do something to punish dying.

Still, all in all I had YUGE fun with this. Most fun I've had with a shooter in the last 5 years for sure, with the only exception being Overload. It also puts shit like Ion Maiden completely to shame.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
3D. No idea why they even went with the 2D sprites tbh, they look like ass. As I mentioned before, I don't even mind the rest of the pixelated graphics, and I think they have some kind of weird charm that you start to appreciate with time, but the 2D sprites on the munsters are simply bad.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
this guy... complains... about alt-fire...?

... and also complains about 'iron sights'... when it's just alt-fire... on one gun...

and says it has too few enemy types when the enemy roster is lifted nearly 1:1 from fucking doom?? :lol:

this is a really dumb video, and he also plays the game like shit so i'm not surprised he finds it 'slow paced'

deama

Prophet
Yeah it looked like he played the game like an old man almost, I'm not even sure he knows about the sprint button; plus he keeps using the machine gun which slows you down quite a lot.
He says he'll give it some more time, so maybe he'll re-review it later once he gets a better hang of it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom