Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #2: Stretch Goals Revealed

Duraframe300

Arcane
Tonight I literally dreamt of Dragon age. So, I woke up with a smile and had a good laugh until I went to KS page and looked at the stretch goals. How did an interesting world with plane travel that was promised by MCA turned into this?

Zuh? That's completely separate, is it not? This is J.E. Sawyer's baby. MCA's baby is...yet to come?

It's the Obsidian Kickstarter that was promised by MCA is it not? Or MCA just lends his face for any commercial?

It's an Obsidian kickstarter. check
It has MCA on team. check

Nope, sry were are making a different game, that has nothing to do with MCA and TC. Hope you will enjoy.

MCA isn't the Project Director. Also he mentioned in an interview that they will be doing a different kickstarter that is thought of by the entire team first.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's the Obsidian Kickstarter that was promised by MCA is it not?

No. What makes you think that? MCA talked about doing a Kickstarter but not having the time right now because of Wasteland 2. This is Sawyer's project, not MCA's. MCA and Tim Cain are both working on Wasteland 2 and South Park respectively, you know, they're not going to be on this project fulltime for a while, that I know.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Name dropping those classics with famous game designers, they should have estimated this project could
get 5 6 million easily and planned accordingly with scope and suitable stretch goals.

That was my first thought, but I'm not so sure. You have to take into account that people who love party/TB RPGs will empty their wallets for WL2, whereas many of those who loved Baldur's Gate (Many, OK? Don't kill me) probably are quite content with Bioware today, so they might not be as eager to spend money on a humble game like PE.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Hey, someone made an observation on the Update#2 video. There are formations for player groups of 6 on the whiteboard.

Bro nobody mentioned "Strongholds". They said house, where your party can "chillax". Wouldn't they have said something more if it was something more other than larp-y shit?

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know that before. But I can see now what they actually mean by player housing is a purely cosmetic location that you can decorate.

You honestly believe that is what they mean by player housing? I don't generally like to resort to name calling but if that is what you believe you are retarded.

Hey, that's the way a professional team of developers presented it, don't be all butthurt. If I thought it will be cosmetic and whole game will be shallow shit for biodrones, I wouldn't even consider donating. I'm just showing how shitty they lead this campaign. They could and should do much better. The game need finance to be good. And I wish they get it. Weekend and shit is no excuse. If they are serious about their campaign, they should have not started it on weekend, or should have hired someone to do it over the weekend. There are many possibilities, and all they give and show is sloppy.

kaizoku

Arcane
On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if MCA, when the time comes, decides to make his game in this universe.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think anybody claims we'll have story of PS:T, combat of IWD, and content of BG for 1.1 million. I also don't think Obsidian could not see they'd get much more than initial goal
seeing even Wasteland got 3 million and not everybody knows it (old game). Name dropping those classics with famous game designers, they should have estimated this project could
get 5 6 million easily and planned accordingly with scope and suitable stretch goals.

Actually, this is exactly what Obsidian claimed in the third paragraph of their kickstarter.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Name dropping those classics with famous game designers, they should have estimated this project could

That was my first thought, but I'm not so sure. You have to take into account that people who love party/TB RPGs will empty their wallets for WL2, whereas many of those who loved Baldur's Gate (Many, OK? Don't kill me) probably are quite content with Bioware today, so they might not be as eager to spend money on a humble game like PE.

Well I am not content with bioware at all (Don't worry I am pretty docile), anyways the numbers don't lie;
Hourly donations for this project is about 10k , it was 2k for wasteland not counting first and last rush.Even if the rate drops I am sure it will collect almost double the what wasteland did.
Source:
http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/
http://ruinedkingdoms.com/project-eternity/

I just hope they rethink the scope and the stretch goals after they reach the 2.4 millions, which I believe will be reached in 6-7 days.

Razz

Educated
Because the house thing keeps coming up, some thoughts from Sawyer for those who haven't seen them:
JESawyer said:
To me, the primary purpose of a house is to serve as a centralized, easily-organized repository for gear and, in games with companions, for companions. Customization options are secondary (to me, anyway).
we believe player houses serve a basic utilitarian purpose in RPGs. We like using them and would like to have them in PE. They require work to implement, but the $ of the goal is not meant to indicate $ spent on that feature.
We have learned that a small interior with containers thrown in it (e.g. Novac hotel room, Pres. Suite) is too minimal when it comes to auto-organization functionality. And again, KS is a fundraising platform, not a means of making a literal budget.
Might alleviate some of the worst apocalyptic fears and calm down some of the ragers.

From the same source, on party size:
I am writing up some basics on party size/composition that will hopefully answer some of your other questions.
So details are incoming.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
It's the Obsidian Kickstarter that was promised by MCA is it not?

No. What makes you think that? MCA talked about doing a Kickstarter but not having the time right now because of Wasteland 2. This is Sawyer's project, not MCA's. MCA and Tim Cain are both working on Wasteland 2 and South Park respectively, you know, they're not going to be on this project fulltime for a while, that I know.

Then they deserve what's coming at them, if both Tim and MCA are not working at the project why da fuck where they involved in the video at all? It's like saying: We have dream team for this match so bet on us. And then you find out that it's their retarded cousin's and brother's in law are playing.

That part about TC (was thinking about MCA while writing) making a new high fantasy is also bullshit?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I have no pledge, and I must scream.

2qdnbtk.jpg

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
golgepapaz

But we're only in the second 24 hour period, during which WL2 collected even faster (if the graph doesn't lie, it's manual data at that point).

I hope you're right, though.

kaizoku

Arcane

Well I am not content with bioware at all (Don't worry I am pretty docile), anyways the numbers don't lie;
Hourly donations for this project is about 10k , it was 2k for wasteland not counting first and last rush.Even if the rate drops I am sure it will collect almost double the what wasteland did.
Source:
http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/
http://ruinedkingdoms.com/project-eternity/

I just hope they rethink the scope and the stretch goals after they reach the 2.4 millions, which I believe will be reached in 6-7 days.

Are you the owner of that site?
That info is incorrect!
On the first day it got ~ 1M, not 650k.
It has a similar bug to the one on kicktraq.

It should consider the hour the project was launched, which was the 14th at 18:00 UTC time.
So the first 48h of funding just ended 5 minutes ago.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Then they deserve what's coming at them, if both Tim and MCA are not working at the project why da fuck where they involved in the video at all?

They are. When I first heard of it I understood they have been working with JE Sawyer to create the setting and character system. There's only so many hours in the week though, and it's not exactly a secret they're working on other things, at least for now.

Why were they in it? It brings in cash. Feargus was in it too, and he's the CEO, he's not exactly all that directly involved.

Deserve what's coming to them? So you're upset with them because you assumed things that aren't true? Doesn't seem like that's their fault.

That part about MCA making a new high fantasy is also bullshit?

What? This isn't specifically an MCA-created setting, if that's what you're asking. This is Sawyer's. We might see MCA's later.

It should consider the hour the project was launched, which was the 14th at 18:00 UTC time.

That's not a bug, it's simply a choice. Look at the bottom "progress" charts, it clearly starts at the end of the day. The creator opted to go by calender days, not 24-hour cycles. Nothing wrong with that.

Tigranes

Arcane
Because the house thing keeps coming up, some thoughts from Sawyer for those who haven't seen them:
JESawyer said:
To me, the primary purpose of a house is to serve as a centralized, easily-organized repository for gear and, in games with companions, for companions. Customization options are secondary (to me, anyway).
we believe player houses serve a basic utilitarian purpose in RPGs. We like using them and would like to have them in PE. They require work to implement, but the $ of the goal is not meant to indicate $ spent on that feature.
We have learned that a small interior with containers thrown in it (e.g. Novac hotel room, Pres. Suite) is too minimal when it comes to auto-organization functionality. And again, KS is a fundraising platform, not a means of making a literal budget.
Might alleviate some of the worst apocalyptic fears and calm down some of the ragers.

From the same source, on party size:
I am writing up some basics on party size/composition that will hopefully answer some of your other questions.
So details are incoming.

I don't see this?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Then they deserve what's coming at them, if both Tim and MCA are not working at the project why da fuck where they involved in the video at all?

They are. When I first heard of it I understood they have been working with JE Sawyer to create the setting and character system. There's only so many hours in the week though, and it's not exactly a secret they're working on other things, at least for now.
Why were they in it? It brings in cash. Feargus was in it too, and he's the CEO, he's not exactly all that directly involved.

From Sawyer's SA comments it actually sounds like he and Cain (he mentions him multiple times) are designing (or atleast discussing how to) the combat/gameplay systems. While MCA sounds like he's going to write the companions.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Are you the owner of that site? That info is incorrect! On the first day it got ~ 1M, not 650k. It has a similar bug to the one on kicktraq.

it's no bug. the income is splitted between friday and saturday which makes sence from a mathematical standpoint - that's what i read between the numbers.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Deserve what's coming to them? So you're upset with them because you assumed things that aren't true? Doesn't seem like that's their fault.

What? This isn't specifically an MCA-created setting, if that's what you're asking. This is Sawyer's. We might see MCA's later.

That's not a bug, it's simply a choice. Look at the bottom "progress" charts, it clearly starts at the end of the day. The creator opted to go by calender days, not 24-hour cycles. Nothing wrong with that.
I know that MCA is helping out with W2, but that doesn't mean that he is not invoved with Eternity at all. Same with Tim Cain (and as far as I know, he is not even working on W2). Sawyer might be the lead designer but don't say stuff like MCA and Tim Cain is not involved in develoment at all, because you are sending the wrong message. There won't be a separate MCA kickstarter, I think one project of this kind is enough for a company. So yes, I think this is the kickstarter project MCA was referring to in his many interviews.

They will have to create a brand new fantasy world, a new ruleset, I think a lot of people at Obsidian will work on this project.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
From Sawyer's SA comments it actually sounds like he and Cain (he mentions him multiple times) are designing (or atleast discussing how to) the combat/gameplay systems. While MCA sounds like he's going to write the companions.

Sure, whatever. Point is this isn't "MCA's project", and both MCA and Cain have other full-time things to work on right now. I know they helped on the setting and character system, what else they'll do is fine by me.

I know that MCA is helping out with W2, but that doesn't mean that he is not invoved with Eternity at all.

I didn't say they weren't involved with Eternity at all. I specifically said they were. Please read more carefully.

So yes, I think this is the kickstarter project MCA was referring to in his many interviews.

It isn't.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Are you the owner of that site?
That info is incorrect!
On the first day it got ~ 1M, not 650k.
It has a similar bug to the one on kicktraq.

So the first 48h of funding just ended 5 minutes ago.

Well I've asked the guy to put one after the project had already launched,I believe it scans the project page every hour to get the backer count
and total sum of donations and works the differences, that's why it drops short. At the top of the page it says starting time is 20:00 EDT

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

When you intentionally mislead people you do get what you deserve. They intentionally didn't say what was their involvement and now they pay for it.

Feargus? He is the CEO and I kinda doubt that people started shoving their money, because he was there too.

Sorry mixed it with TC. (out of frustration).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom