Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #41: Dwarves and Doors (and a complete lack of proofreading)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do you see a pattern?

The pattern in that the the ratio of Rogue ranks/to Fighter ranks rapidly goes down.

unless the threshold of the lock also scales like that Rogues would be useless as lockpickers post level 5. If it DOES scale like that then Rogues are 'special' and this is nothing but DnD, except then it no longer adheres to Sawyer's shitty philosophy of everyone is equal, if not equal then equivalent.
I'm not seeing the problem. At level 5, a rogue would hypothetically be able to open a 10-rank lock using no lockpicks or x amount of lockpicks. To open the same lock a fighter would need to use x lockpicks or x+y lockpicks.

Captain Shrek

Do you see a pattern?

The pattern in that the the ratio of Rogue ranks/to Fighter ranks rapidly goes down.

unless the threshold of the lock also scales like that Rogues would be useless as lockpickers post level 5. If it DOES scale like that then Rogues are 'special' and this is nothing but DnD, except then it no longer adheres to Sawyer's shitty philosophy of everyone is equal, if not equal then equivalent.
I'm not seeing the problem. At level 5, a rogue would hypothetically be able to open a 10-rank lock using no lockpicks or x amount of lockpicks. To open the same lock a fighter would need to use x lockpicks or x+y lockpicks.

That would only be true if ALL locks at level 5 Level Scale. Geddit?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do you see a pattern?

That would only be true if ALL locks at level 5 Level Scale. Geddit?
No. I believe there will be locks scattered throughout the game with various thresholds. Some will be trivial to open for anyone making regular investment in the skill, some you'll have to come back for later, some will be slightly higher than the rank you have and the number of lockpicks you have to use to open them will depend on how large the gap is. Rogues always benefit from having a narrower gap.

Captain Shrek

Oh my god.

Roguey. He won't benefit. Since such locks will be rare and the Fighter investing in Lockpicking will perfectly be willing to spare a few lock picks for rare cases.

Hormalakh

Magister
why not make some doors bashable (wooden) and some/most non-bashable (iron)? Chests being unbreakable I can pretty much understand. Although, to be truthful, I don't really think this door breaking is that big of a deal. I mean we couldn't do this in a lot of the older games either. At some point, they can't implement every single little thing and have to draw the line.

As for Captain Shrek, the rogue will have special abilities and talents. I asked him about this specifically and he confirmed it. Lockpicking just isn't one of those abilities.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
why not make some doors bashable (wooden) and some/most non-bashable (iron)? Chests being unbreakable I can pretty much understand.
I can't.

why not make some doors bashable (wooden) and some/most non-bashable (iron)? Chests being unbreakable I can pretty much understand. Although, to be truthful, I don't really think this door breaking is that big of a deal. I mean we couldn't do this in a lot of the older games either..
And there were plenty of old games where we could do that. If I could do something in a game released over 20 years ago I sure as hell expect something made today to allow that.

it's fucking core RPG stuff.

Delterius

Arcane
"Any solution that involves randomly destroying loot is pointless if a) loot isn't involved (e.g. a door) b) you can reload. It's an awful lot of mental contortion to fulfill the desire to just spend points on weapon skills and not on utility skills."

Maybe you missed the part where I asked you if he had any issues with the other suggestions. You could just say he didn't specifically say anything about those. Or even that you don't know, the best stalkers fail sometimes.

Hormalakh

Magister
And there were plenty of old games where we could do that. If I could do something in a game released over 20 years ago I sure as hell expect something made today to allow that.

Fair enough. I don't disagree with you - some doors being breakable wouldn't be an issue. I don't think every door should be breakable (different materials, etc) but some should be. I wrote a post on OEI's forums saying as much. Maybe Josh will reconsider.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63308-update-41-dd-dwarves-and-doors/?p=1307164
Hormalakh said:
If a certain door is meant to really keep someone out, the creator of that door would have chosen better materials (unbreakable) for the job. If it's a wooden door into some pleb's house, I should be able to break it down. It's that simple. Then the thieves and the lockpicks still have a job, and the door smashing monsters are happy too.

Many have said this, and I agree: breaking down doors was a mainstay of the older games. It wasn't always easy (and feasible for every door) but you could do it and was an option sometimes. Most of the old games had this, at least. Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1/2.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Man if you're gonna come up with arbitrary exceptions might as well not have door bashing at all. Specially in a fantasy game with 7ft tall totally-not-orcs, magical spells that increase strength and enchanted weapons.

The simple elegant solution would be to make it (like any strenous activity) hurt your stamina (unless you used something like a fireball but then you're spending a spell/day).

BUT STAMINA REGENS OUT OF COMBAT R00FLES
478587-I4TASQR.gif

Well then, another (somewhat arbitrary) solution is to give objects a DT, if you can't deal damage that gets past it then you can't bash. Doesn't Sawyer looooove Damage Tresholds?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well then, another (somewhat arbitrary) solution is to give objects a DT, if you can't deal damage that gets past it then you can't bash. Doesn't Sawyer looooove Damage Tresholds?
All weapons do a minimum damage

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You just don't understand Sawyer at all.

Key-foraging will be a skill that any class can learn, the keymaster just gets a one time bonus to it.

aris

Arcane
What I found most interesting about the second screenshot is that they actually model all uneveness in the walls and floors instead of bumpmapping and even every brick on the walls and arches. It's easier for sure, but much more demanding on the graphics card. But then again, they aren't exactly using state of the arts graphics, so they can get away with it. It might also be a lazy way of overcoming this problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bump_map_vs_isosurface2.png, as it can't make the outline nor the shadow of objects appear uneven if the outline itself is not rendere bumpy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I found most interesting about the second screenshot is that they actually model all uneveness in the walls and floors instead of bumpmapping and even every brick on the walls and arches. It's easier for sure, but much more demanding on the graphics card. But then again, they aren't exactly using state of the arts graphics, so they can get away with it. It might also be a lazy way of overcoming this problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bump_map_vs_isosurface2.png, as it can't make the outline nor the shadow of objects appear uneven if the outline itself is not rendere bumpy.

PE background graphics will be prerendered and then manually touched up. There will be no demand on the graphics card.

(Not the player's graphics card, anyway.)

aris

Arcane
Ah! You're right! I had forgot about that. Might create an ugly effect when/if characters casts shadows on walls though... But maybe they have a workaround of that, one possibility would be to render invisible walls where the pre-rendered walls are.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Those games were poorly designed pseudo-simulation garbage. You shouldn't be able to opt out of investing in a skill.

Roguey. He won't benefit. Since such locks will be rare
Baseless assumption.
and the Fighter investing in Lockpicking will perfectly be willing to spare a few lock picks for rare cases.
Baseless assumption.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have to say that I still doubt locked doors and chests can be anything but a trivial barrier in a game where you have SIX party members. You only need to invest in ONE specialized lock-picking character to open a locked door or chest. That's just not a lot in the larger scheme of things, no matter how gimped he is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How is this any different from what I remember Todd saying: Since Attributes were mostly useless we have decided to reduce them to 3. We are also cutting down the skills, the magical discipline because they are trivial!

Basically instead of fixing things discard them.

Where did I recommend discarding anything?

This is a tough problem, Shrek. Again, in whatever reasonable system you might choose, you still only need ONE character to open locks, or disarm traps, or whatever. One specialized character out of six party members, no matter how gimped he is, is simply not a large price to pay. He still has five buddies to back him up in fights.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
*sigh* Another Shrek reading comprehension failure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom