Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project GODUS, the ultimate Peter Molyneux fiasco

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Screw this man, his ego, his lies, his conceit and his stupid gimmicks.

11798.jpg

Dexter

Arcane
BTW, any decent Theme Hospital / Dungeon Keeper worthy games out there?
Nothing recent, but if you haven't played it, Startopia is definitely worth it: http://af.gog.com/gamecard/startopia?as=1649904300

Also, Space Colony has recently gotten a HD Patch and the game wasn't too bad either: http://af.gog.com/gamecard/space_colony_hd?as=1649904300

Evil Genius is similar to Dungeon Keeper, but with the lair of a super-villain, although I didn't like it THAT much: http://af.gog.com/gamecard/evil_genius?as=1649904300

Overlord also goes in a similar direction, but is mostly an Action game.

Mortmal

Arcane
No, he made some good ones (or at least was part of a team that made some good ones) twenty years ago.

Thats not really fair, those were not just good games, they were mythic legendary , unmatched. Theres nothing i can compare to the experience of the like of populous,powermonger syndicate, dungeon keeper, magic carpet...Those were wonders , i was astonished first time i saw populous, glued to my chair in front of my amiga for days .Thats the game with dungeon master that made me switch from c64 to amiga.
Cant discard all of what bullfrog done, just cause he made xbox games for a living.Its still better than beating old people for money.
So yes i back this , not much to lose anyway 15$ is nothing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I played Populous when it first came out. Think I was... fourteen or fifteen? Very fun game, played it to death, but II wouldn't say I was amazed. Anyway, Molyneux is just another in a long line of developers who made quality products in the past and has produced shit recently. I'll believe he can make something good again when I see it.

Multi-headed Cow

Who the goddamn hell would throw money at a Peter Molyneaux Kickstarter, Jesus H Christ. I'm amazed he's even attempting it, but I guess I shouldn't be because he already has 32,000 pounds with 29 days to go.

Fuck.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah I'm really sure he needs money. $30 game tier? I'll get it for $10 on sale.
You mean 15 dollar. (if you are an early donator)

No, it's 15 pounds sterling but I got the exchange rate wrong so it's more like $24ish not $30ish. The non early buyer tier is $48ish which is even more laughable.
Hm, I forgot to look at the currency. I'm used to dollar, because almost every KS use that.

But I won't support this. Not because I don't like it, I still have faith in Molyneux and I hope they will make this game. I just spent too much money on KS in the last month.

I don't know what's the hate against Molyneux. Yes, he has overpromised in the past. But he made several classics in the past. Just for that reason, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Dexter

Arcane
Thats not really fair, those were not just good games, they were mythic legendary , unmatched. Theres nothing i can compare to the experience of the like of populous,powermonger syndicate, dungeon keeper, magic carpet...Those were wonders , i was astonished first time i saw populous, glued to my chair in front of my amiga for days .Thats the game with dungeon master that made me switch from c64 to amiga.
Cant discard all of what bullfrog done, just cause he made xbox games for a living.Its still better than beating old people for money.
So yes i back this , not much to lose anyway 15$ is nothing.

4rzuky.jpg

molyneuxmicrosoft51p8q.png

http://www.gametrailers.com/e3/videos/09rpqf/e3-2012--peter-molyneux-interview

molyneuxg0ccs.png

Yeah...no

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So basically he'll build up 22 Cans on the back of a crowd-funded game... and turn around and sell it to some publisher and cash in again.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hm, I forgot to look at the currency. I'm used to dollar, because almost every KS use that.

But I won't support this. Not because I don't like it, I still have faith in Molyneux and I hope they will make this game. I just spent too much money on KS in the last month.

I don't know what's the hate against Molyneux. Yes, he has overpromised in the past. But he made several classics in the past. Just for that reason, I give him the benefit of the doubt.
He made several classic in the distant past, working in a different company where he either had no say in the development process or other people had enough say to stop him from implementing dumb ideas - either way since he became solo his games have been uniformly shit and overhyped disappointments. And it's not like he can claim to have made these games because there was no other work like some other classic devs, when n every interview he states that these are the games he always wanted to make, etc. and when he essentially got carte blanche from the publishers each and every time. And he had not overpromised, he lied through his teeth, pocketed the money and promptly started lying about the sequel - what is this bullshit newspeak that you are spouting?
Spend your money on Sui Generis or Maia or other titles that actually need it instead of a hipster confidence artist.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I played Populous when it first came out. Think I was... fourteen or fifteen? Very fun game, played it to death, but II wouldn't say I was amazed. Anyway, Molyneux is just another in a long line of developers who made quality products in the past and has produced shit recently. I'll believe he can make something good again when I see it.
More like he was just a PR mug taking credit for the cool work of prestigious Bullfrog peoples. I see no other explanation when comparing Bullforg games to the titles signed by his name afterwards.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
More like he was just a PR mug taking credit for the cool work of prestigious Bullfrog peoples. I see no other explanation when comparing Bullforg games to the titles signed by his name afterwards.
Well, it's more like a case of that Murphy's law that reads something like "Everybody reaches for his level of incompetence", meaning that everybody goes up the hierarchical ladder because they're competent, until they reach a point where their competence is not adequate anymore and they get stuck on that level, unable to go up because they're incompetent in their current position but not going down either because they get entrenched. Molyneaux went up quite high in an era when gaming wasn't serious business yet and settled on a level that, in the current "gaming development as serious business" context, is way above his competence level. His only saving grace, which saved him from crashing and burning like other old-timers, is that he's very jovial and well known, which makes him a very effective marketing guy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He made several classic in the distant past, working in a different company where he either had no say in the development process
Yes, the lead designer of Populous, Dungeon Keeper and other games had no say in development. Makes total sense.

or other people had enough say to stop him from implementing dumb ideas
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe back than he didn't have dumb ideas.

- either way since he became solo his games have been uniformly shit and overhyped disappointments.
Black and White was good, Fable 1 was OK. I don't have blind hate against him just because some of his recent games were overhyped. But as I said, I won't pledge, because I'm not 100% confident either. If the game turns out good, I'll buy it.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He made several classic in the distant past, working in a different company where he either had no say in the development process
Yes, the lead designer of Populous, Dungeon Keeper and other games had no say in development. Makes total sense.

or other people had enough say to stop him from implementing dumb ideas
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe back than he didn't have dumb ideas.

- either way since he became solo his games have been uniformly shit and overhyped disappointments.
Black and White was good, Fable 1 was OK. I don't have blind hate against him just because some of his recent games were overhyped. But as I said, I won't pledge, because I'm not 100% confident either. If the game turns out good, I'll buy it.
There is a obvious disconnect between the quality of Bullfrog titles and Molyneaux's solo stuff, even if you think some of his games were OK (they were not) they cannot hold a candle to the classics like Populous. He obviously was not the great designer he built himself up to be and lot of Bullfrog success was the work of other people which he shamelessly takes credit for when ovepromising (haha) on his latest masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom