Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project GODUS, the ultimate Peter Molyneux fiasco

sparrowtm

Insert Disk 22
Developer

Above is a very interesting beta-preview of Peter Molyneux' new game, Godus. Basically, he has now managed to create a mindless clickety click facebook game. Only that it's not played on facebook. Bravo. Time for another interview, Peter! ...and also a good cry, maybe?

Oh the humanity.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not familiar with the franchise but I'm considering giving it a try.
Reading the comments it seems the best one is either Populous 3 or Populous 2. Which is better and why?

I only played the first one and while it was good for its time the mechanics are very limited and it doesn't really hold up well today.

I have only played populous 3 of them, which was a very good game by any definition, though it leans closer to RTS than a god game. I can recommend it on its own merits.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Populous: the Beginning is a visually appealing game and still quite playable. Pretty simple, though, and the missions start to overlap and get stale... but deforming the map is very fun. I usually just cheat to get all the spells and mess around with those. It's one of those games I've always kept the CD around for to play every so often.

BTW this game looks like ass. No offense to Mr. Molyneaux, I'm sure he means well, but he's kind of lost his game designing marbles.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To the person asking which Populous to play, go to GOG and get Populous 2. It is one of the best PC games ever made; it has great mechanics, great theme, great gameplay, great graphics, it's the total package. It is literally the best god-game out there; anyone who tells you otherwise is most likely an utter nublet (there is literally a poster here who has only played Pop 3, what a joke).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So someone exploited their way to 10k population and unlocked lumbering. It's good to see that resource gathering IS in the game. Just very odd that it's a feature that needs to be unlocked. Kinda like how I thought it was odd when I unlocked the day / night cycle.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
He will cry in disbelief that even after all these years people are still gullible enough to give him the benefit of doubt.

grudgebringer

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../616324?ref=email&show_token=8c311fe535c29667

What to expect from GODUS V1.3

GODUS is a-changin' - for example we're changing how and when you can sprog Followers from their Abodes and there's also changes to how Belief is generated, there's a major change in the landscape and also in resources and how you get them. God Powers are being changed, Collectible Cards are changing and oh yes, Treasure Chests and 'clicking' is also changing. All of these changes mean that we have to rebalance the entire game and this takes time. We could release what we have now but the issue we're having with save games would mean that it's a step backwards rather than forwards, so we believe it's wiser to spend the next 48 hours playing through the game (again) and making sure it's completely right and as delightful as it possible can be, before we update the version up on Steam. We have stopped adding new features and now we just have to finish it...it's only going to take a little while longer but it'll be worth the wait.

As part of all these upcoming changes you will also notice that your Homeworld looks somewhat different now. You'll be able to see the changes before you are prompted with two options. You will be given the option to re-start your Homeworld after this 'changing event' which admittedly is a frequently requested option by our players.

We love all of your feedback and take all of it extremely serious, since without it, we wouldn't be doing anyone any justice. We believe that we can only make GODUS the best it can be by listening to your feedback and suggestions. We've read every forum post, every email, every tweet, every comment, we have watched every Lets Play video and read all the comments on those too. That's a lot of reading by the way. And it's your feedback that has determined what's made it into the first content update V1.3, so…thank you.

farmer_illustration3.png

Below you will find a list of some of the new and improved features, as well as bug fixes to be expected for V1.3. Please keep in mind these are tentative until we release the updated version.

Farming_and_resources.png

GODUS V1.3 some of the new and improved features (tentatively):

• Enter the Bronze Age and era of agriculture
  • 12 New Bronze age advances including Farming, Politics and Cartography.
  • 8 New Resource cards to collect
  • 8 New God Cards to collect
cards.png

• New unlocks to increase your Area of Influence, speed up followers and cheaper settlements
  • Unlock a new Farmer Follower and grow your civilisation through agriculture
  • Farmers will grow crops outside of settlements for the population
  • Crops are gathered to feed your population and advance your civilisation
  • Choose the most fertile and efficient land for your crops
  • Dynamic weather system where lightning storms will bombard your Homeworld, damaging Abodes not in a settlement
  • Sprogging centralised within settlements rather than on individual Abodes
  • Sprogging from Abodes only available when the Follower can travel to an available plot or Totem
  • Abodes inside a settlement now have second stories (floors) allowing greater capacity and belief.
  • Over 60 new chests added to Homeworld
  • Entirely rebalanced multiplayer Armageddon mode
  • New scrapbook hints
  • Felt tents no longer produce belief and instead house more Followers and have faster Follower generation (breeding)
  • Faster info bubbles
  • New God Power icons
  • Followers share their thoughts and needs via Prayers
Weather_and_Storms.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
With 1.3 out the game has become even more unfun and more click heavy than ever before; despite devs claiming that all the clicking was a mistake, was not intentional and their top priority is to lessen it.

Advancing into the Bronze Age is nothing but agony. Now you have storms popping up every 15 minutes or so and bring down the health of your houses, so you have to go all around the world clicking on all your houses to spawn followers who come out to repair their house, because they are incapable of doing it on their own. By the time you just get all the houses fixed another goddamn storm happens. This has happened to me for about 10 times now. Houses that belong to a Settlement are immune to the damage, but building Settlements costs gems with the price scaling up the more Settlements you have, and there's a finite amount of gems in the game. The Settlement radius is also very small.

In the caveman era you spend the whole time trying to build up population to advance further with the God powers and upgrades. At 2100 pop you can advance to the Bronze Age. Here, instead of gaining more population, the idea is to farm wheat instead in order to advance further. How do you farm wheat? By destroying the houses you built in order to create land for your farmers to make wheat fields. So you make a 180 as soon as you get into the next epoch and start destroying everything you previously built.

Rebuilding your plots into fields is painful and annoying. You have to destroy houses with Finger of God and then quickly clear the rock debris (not able to do this with Finger of God active) so that you get the desired field size instead of fragmented little plots which are useless. Problem is that as soon as there are empty plots you will have people racing there to build anything. Fields or more houses. You have to keep killing people and destroying houses / fields with Finger of God until you get the desired construction.

As you get more upgrades your houses upgrade into bigger dwellings that produce more faith and house more followers, but the plot size vs followers gained has diminishing returns to the point where anything past rank 3-4 is useless. On the flip side wheat fields lower than rank 4 are useless and don't produce enough of the stuff.

I've played for 2-3 hours in the bronze age and I'm still not half way through on to my next advancement card. I shudder to think how long it will take when I need even more wheat before the next upgrades. Collecting wheat doesn't require any clicking and I could in theory just leave the game on for 10 hours and then come and reap the reward, however I have to keep going around the world telling my minions to fix their houses. I'm starting to think if I should just let them all die.

Will continue to give more reports on this train wreck if I can still conjure up the will to go on. The Bronze Age is really breaking my balls.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A friend said he would buy it for me but im not even sure if i can be bothered to play it... Is it worth even spending any time playing the game?

grudgebringer

it has potential... hypothetically speaking. better wait for final build and then see if it's worth it.
at the current state it's just a 'ghost embryo in the refrigerating chamber' of a god game. and has a long way to go.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
New problems with farming has struck! I found out that making farmlands on beaches or high atop mountains isn't good and yields lesser harvests. This is unfortunate since they are also my biggest farmlands, but makes sense too I guess. I hear that the difference isn't that big though so it's kinda whatever.

As for letting all the houses outside of your settlements be taken away by the storms, well, there are unforeseen consequence with this plan. Luckily someone else did it before me and warned me about it. He's unable to build any more normal buildings now since he has farms in every settlement and if you have a farm within a settlement then you can only spawn farmers and not normal villagers. The only solution here is to destroy your farms which is a pain in the ass then because rebuilding one takes 3 hours of real world time.

Really, the depth of the problems within the game systems is staggering. Sure, it's beta (more like alpha), but it seems like there is no QA or no testing of systems by the devs to see if the gameplay is flawed or if it's fun. One can argue that this early access beta testing is exactly that, but the problem imo is that the devs don't even know what's good and what's shit. They don't have a plan. They aren't designing these mechanics and systems based on good ideas or what would be fun gameplay. They are just throwing the ball at the community and waiting to hear what kind of echo comes out. This is painfully obvious when you have conflicting mechanics, like the population vs wheat I talked about previously. Their updates come 7 days late,they are entirely in the dark in what they are doing and they only have 2 epochs ready out of 12; not to mention that the 2 epochs that ARE ready need to be revised and made less tedious and more fun and game-like.

My point is that the people in charge of design are shit and don't know what they are doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom