Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Repressed Homosexual
This is not the case for all of them, some like the sports ones I have mentioned already take significant advantage of next-gen. The best looking sports game is going to be MLB The Show 14, though.

I was so sick of dirty last gen graphics, this is literally the quality of a high end GPU for the living room so I'm very happy.
frame_rate_next_gen.jpg

Curiosity: Dead Rising 3 started being made on PC and moved to the Xbox One. The console struggles to run the game to the point that it runs at 720p resolution and with poor frame-rate.

Literally high-end, lol.

These are just severely unoptimized, rushed launch games, it doesn't mean anything. Many console ports of these next-gen games struggle to run on even PCs with a Titan GPU.

It's not quite as powerful, but it's close in some respects (especially for the PS4), and the fact that console games can be optimized "close to the metal" will make up for some of it, like it usually does. On PCs because of things like drivers you lose as much as 50% of the available power.

Black

Arcane
Ms and sony better pay you a fuckton, HHR, otherwise it's pretty sad.

abija

Prophet
It's not close, in any respects. The video card is 3 generations too late to be called high end. Yes they'll get better when games won't be multi-gen, it still won't run better than a decent PC bought this year and they're supposed to last 6-8. You're gonna have phones with more power than xbone, ps4 before this generation ends...

I was actually wrong, what was it 7850 = PS4 video card? That's worse than the high end 5000 series cards, so 4 generations ago.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are no must play games for this launch. Maybe if Watchdogs were released on launch on one console, but that one got delayed.
I really dont see a game thats groundbreaking and worth the hype that justifies new console purchase. And M$ going with the micro transactions thing in every game is a move that noone should support.

The CPU is even worse. And remember that Sony and Microsoft have mandated that all games be able to be recorded and streamed, which adds some significant additional overhead.

Anyone who thinks waving the magical "optimization" wand around when the new consoles have the exact same hardward as (shitty) PCs is delusional.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I started getting tired of console gaming during PS2/360 generation already and after the current gen came to take its place I couldn't find a reason enough to buy a console; literally the only game that I wanted to play was MGS4, but it turned out to be so *cinematic* that I just youtube'd it and feel like I actually played the game. Other than that? Nothing really; even fighting games have declined greatly (i.e. Tekken or Soul Calibur), not to mention Fainaru Fantajī which achieved even greater shitness than Oblivion or Dragon age could have ever aspire to.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I started getting tired of console gaming during PS2/360 generation already and after the current gen came to take its place I couldn't find a reason enough to buy a console
I liked consoles in the past when there was a whole library of arcade games and weaboo shit that I couldn't play on the PC. Today consoles have mostly stuff like FPS/TPS, patriotic shooters and quasi-rpg's, typycally PC genres (only retardized for audience-broadening) and most of these games are multi platform anyway. Though I will probably buy a PS4 if they make a new (good) Wipeout or Armored Core game for it.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Given how quickly I get bored with modern action games (a week at best), there's no reason for me to buy a whole console just to play a few decent titles. It's much more sensible to invest in a PC that aside from games can handle mods and tons of useful software.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
These are just severely unoptimized, rushed launch games, it doesn't mean anything. Many console ports of these next-gen games struggle to run on even PCs with a Titan GPU.

And again we come to the point that is: What's the point of buying a console at launch? When is the first worthwhile game coming? I bet there won't be a shortage of them consoles then.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I usually wait around 2 years before even thinking about buying a new console, makes for cheaper second hand games, more games to choose from and newer and cheaper version of the console.

abija

Prophet
Killzone and NBA 2K14 certainly look as good as any high-end PC game.
From the review that gave killzone the highest rating:
  • It’s not quite Crysis 3 on PC, but it definitely demonstrates a big graphical leap for consoles
And tbh, with the ratings this game got, it can't look that great. It would have been a drooling spam of awe inspiring 9s and 10s.

NBA 2k14 doesn't look like anything special either, maybe compared with previous console sport games...

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And tbh, with the ratings this game got, it can't look that great. It would have been a drooling spam of awe inspiring 9s and 10s.
Contrary to what many Codexer thinks, great graphics doesn't mean an automatic 9 or 10 in mainstream media. If the game has mediocre gameplay, it will be scored lower. Everybody is drooling about the great visuals of Killzone, so yes, the graphics is that good. But the gameplay is just mediocre.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Contrary to what many Codexer thinks, great graphics doesn't mean an automatic 9 or 10 in mainstream media. If the game has mediocre gameplay, it will be scored lower. Everybody is drooling about the great visuals of Killzone, so yes, the graphics is that good. But the gameplay is just mediocre.

Eh, it looks more or less like Crysis 2, except with better human models and more obnoxious post-processing. The usual console strategy, really, spend most of your graphics processing budget on human models, and the rest on filters to hide how poor the environment looks in comparison.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Killzone Shadow Fall does really impress in a couple places. Mostly I think they're taking advantage of of the RAM to blow you away with large vistas though, it's not like the actual assets are good. In the more corridor style levels the game looks like a PS3 launch title, so... yeah.

abija

Prophet
Bioshock:I fooled me I guess... Guess it must have been the "deep" emotional engagement then.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Killzone Shadow Fall does really impress in a couple places. Mostly I think they're taking advantage of of the RAM to blow you away with large vistas though, it's not like the actual assets are good. In the more corridor style levels the game looks like a PS3 launch title, so... yeah.
Man, on the stream I was watching,in killzone, I saw a few embarassing low resolution textures a few times, it made heavy use of effects and the lighting but with the exception of the characters models, the rest didn't impressed me at all.

Pegultagol

Erudite
NBA 2K14 certainly has grand next gen visuals. 2K scanned a lot of players' faces and have modeled them in the game for realism. The game seems to play rather well and as par for the course for this series, presentation is among the best of its kind. However, the animation still has stilted transition, the same set of animation sequences of facial expression and other moments that are intercut between action show the players appear moulded from a few models just with their skins swapped (next gen palette swap). The 'My Player' mode adds superfluous and badly acted linear story sequences that now actively interferes with what you accomplish on court, it is often jarring and produces worse results than it'd been were it just left out in favour of players just making stuff up. Some multiplayer functions are broken.

There's nothing much to play on the consoles, and microtransactions overall taint the experience like grey, gloomy overcast cloud. Cloud isn't for anything really, except to facilitate nickel and dime down to a neat science, that is the biggest impact that people will experience in the end. And I didn't win that Xbox One console, so screw this. I'd say the sweet spot for PS4 in price is around $299 with a game bundled in and Xbox One about $329 in a bundle. Right now the advertised features don't even work.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
The last game that really impressed me visually - in terms of quality, not art direction - was Crysis 1, 6 years ago. Not a game released later made me "oh wow", even though C1 and C2 are probably even better looking.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Man, on the stream I was watching,in killzone, I saw a few embarassing low resolution textures a few times, it made heavy use of effects and the lighting but with the exception of the characters models, the rest didn't impressed me at all.

That's pretty much what I just said, isn't it?

DeepOcean

Arcane

That's pretty much what I just said, isn't it?
I was agreeing with you, I was just mentioning that sometimes the resolution of the textures would go really, really lower.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was agreeing with you, I was just mentioning that sometimes the resolution of the textures would go really, really lower.

Ah. I'm used to Codex snark, sorry.

Yeah the spaceship missions are especially ugly. Like literally worse than a PS3 game. The characters look nice, as others have said, but even they get real jaggy and shit if you get close to the screen. It would look pretty terrible on a PC monitor.

Those large areas and far-reaching 3D cityscapes are nice though. RAM is really going to help multiplatform games this generation look better on PC.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Sony will be more successful than the others, but Microsoft will sell a lot of units as well this generation, they have built a strong brand and will still retain a strong following.
Nobody is going to buy an xbone outside of the US. Even the United Kwandom is going PS4 these days.
The Xbox actually has a lot of fans among casual gamers who haven't really been following the gaming media. I know several guys in the UK that honestly believe that the XBone has significantly better hardware than the PS4 (They're almost exactly the same, if anything the PS4 may have a slight edge).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom